BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 03:41 AM   #21
GregSouthcombe

Model: 7230

Please Login to Remove!

I purchased PocketMac back on the 26th June to sync my 7230 with my new PowerBook. I've switched from being a hardened PC user for many years to a Mac and other than this frustrating exercise am loving the Mac experience. PocketMac simply won't install - and the help desk at PocketMac have been useless (yes - useless is a completely accurate description) and no longer respond - my support ticket remains 'open' but I've given up waiting. Does anyone know of any other tool for syncing a 7230 with a Mac? I use iCal and Address Book (not Entourage.)
Old 08-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #22
jax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

Greg - I also had a problem installing PocketMac and it looks like you need to install it from an admin account. Some installers let you just type in an admin users details, but PockeMac doesn't. So if you haven't tried it already, try installing PocketMac from an admin account.

I haven't used PocketMac for long - but I'm using it daily with no issues (sync to Apple apps).
Old 08-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #23
PalmWho?

Model: 7250

Well, guys. I was on the verge of trashing my Treo 650 for a BB 7250 from Verizon, but I'm hesitating because of this thread. I run 10.4.2 on a 1.25GHZ 15" PB, and I love it. The Treo 650, on the other hand (though it syncs fine with iCal and Address -- and works with VoiceSignal) has this nasty habit of rebooting itself when I answer incoming phone calls (this is my second unit. To Verizon's credit, they acknowledged they had problems with the first batch). I just don't think the 650 is truly industrial grade. But it sounds like PocketMac is not yet industrial grade either, and thus far I don't have confirmation that VoiceDial from VoiceSignal (a GREAT app) will work on RIM products. This is all quite frustrating.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #24
MattLarson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

If you are using the Apple address book and iCal, PocketMac works just fine.

Matt
Old 08-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #25
PalmWho?

Model: 7250

And now I've received a reply from VoiceSignal that they don't support Blackberry. Sigh. Why not?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #26
MajorGSP

Model: 7520

PocketMac works great for me with iCal, Entourage, and address book. Not sure if it installs apps. but so far that hasn't been a problem as most websites offer downloads to your BB. It has a few glitches but so does RIM's Deskstop Manager.
No BS
Old 09-17-2005, 02:38 AM   #27
mitoutsound

Model: 7290
Angry 7290 Sync Horrors

Anyone who has a seemlessly working piece of software for 7290 let me know - you may be lucky.

Mine has been a complete disaster from the very start.
I had an older version of Entourage then updated it.
Rebuilt databases, did the fixes offered by pocketmac support
I get their suggestions about 5 days after i post my ticket.
they must have so much to do.
it sucks
time is running and i still feel i can't rely on this thing at all
can never trust it - nor support to offer the right fix
my contacts are scrambled up, dulpicated, reinstated without my knowing
asking to be restored when i deleted them by hand

i mean what the **** is this - some sort of game i get to play - like TRON by Walt Disney - chase the contact or something

I have felt like asking for a refund but what would replace my app and more important my contacts that are lost forever by syncing

CC
Old 09-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #28
marksponsler

Carrier: Cingular

You get suggestions back in 5 days? Lucky you. The last I heard from them was on August 31st.
Mark
Old 09-21-2005, 06:31 PM   #29
Jeff7

Model: 7730
Default PocketMac is Bad

I'm new here, and was looking for advice for a problem that I'm having with PocketMac. The "experts" on this board don't seem to have a lot of answers, so here's my fix and my rant.

Basically, the contact information from DayLite stopped synchronizing with the BlackBerry. I didn't change the software, or upgrade anything--it just stopped working. The way that I fixed it was to export the DayLite contact info to Address Book, and synchronize Address Book with the BlackBerry. I think this is a pretty poor way to do business.

Even without this problem, the software was mediocre at best, and that is coming from someone who has used a BlackBerry basically since it was released to corporations. The information that is sync'ed is limited, and half the time, not everything sync'ed anyway.

On top of that, PocketMac's technical support is maybe the worst that I have run into. Repeated e-mails got me a bunch of answers (after days of waiting) that not only didn't work, but weren't even responsive to my question. The first response said that the problem was with my BlackBerry Enterprise Server--I don't use one and never said that I did. The next response, from someone else, said that my software wasn't activated--given that my question stated that I had been using the product successfully for months, I assumed that the tech support person couldn't read. The third response told me to use an old version of PocketMac.

If there was another product out there, I would use it, but there's not. It must be a by-product of having a Mac, there's not enough business users for a software company to created products for it. If I had known how much of a problem this would be, I would have probably skipped the BlackBerry and figured out some other solution.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #30
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

I've said this on this board before, but it merits a repeat. I have a MAC on my desk at work, a MAC mini on my desk at home, and a linux+windoze 3lb laptop in my rollaboard. I use the windoze partition to install software on the BB.

Entourage + a hosted MDS/BES will give you wireless syncs on a MAC in real time. I get MS Office for the MAC from my work site license, which makes the startup cost easier to deal with. If I recall correctly, both link2exchange and mailstreet will give you Entourage once you sign up.

Problems I didn't know I had have been solved with this. I underestimated how much I be paying each month for BB service ($65 for cingular unlimited INTERNATIONAL data + $20 for link2exchange BES/MDS). I also spent an extra $10/month for not upping my voice minutes because the address book on the phone is so much better tan my old moto v400, that I use my phone more. However, it's been more than worth for me.

I tried to make BIS work for me, but fighting MACs and Cingular at the same time was too much. Entourage for the MAC may be the best thing Bill Gates has ever done.

Last edited by dulcamara; 09-21-2005 at 06:46 PM..
Old 09-26-2005, 05:42 AM   #31
lcomeau

Model: 7100t
Default Missing Sync with Daylite

Thanks Mark for confirming i am not out to lunch.
I agree that missing sync might be the issue ( i used to have a treo600.. and miss it now)

Anyone knows how to COMPLETELY uninstall Missing Sync

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksponsler
Hi LC,
I have a very similar setup to yours. I am having no success syncing with Daylite either. One of the guys here (Sempai) is having success with Daylite so maybe there's hope. He tried to help me himself, but I was unable to figure it all out. I appreciate his time.

Count yourself lucky that you are even getting a response from Pocketmac "support". I posted my first inquiry on 6/29. I received a reply that day. We went back and forth by email until 7/4 and that was the last I heard from them until 7/22. That post was an apology for slow responses and that things would improve. By the end of July, I was pretty steamed so I called their sales line to complain. I got a response from support on 8/2. I tried their suggestions and replied that day. Since then nothing.

LC, did you use a Palm before your BB? Were you using Missing Sync? If so, there may be yours and my problem. I'd rather not uninstall Missing sync, but I may have to. I use it so I can sync Avantgo. I'm keeping my Palm around because I have software on it unavailable on BB.

Here's how I sync my DL info to my BB. I'm sure there's a better way. Automator support for Daylite would help. It would be great if PocketMac worked as advertised. It's one way only. I don't try to make changes on my BB and sync back. I purge all contact and calendar data on my BB. I then export the calendar, then DL contacts as vcards. I then import the vcards into AddressBook and calendar into iCal. Then I sync with PocketMac. The second time you do it you'll need to delete all data from AddressBook and iCal. I know there's an AddressBook sync available in DL, but it didn't work very well for me. Some contacts would have all info, others not. That all cleared up when I exported vcards and imported them into AddressBook. It's tiresome, but it works for me. I do it about once a week or just before I go out of town. So, for me, PocketMac the program isn't completely useless. Not terrible, but close. Their support is another matter.
Mark
Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #32
jtanner

Model: 7730

I've got a slightly different problem with PocketMac--things sync fine from the Blackberry to my Mac (10.4.2), but new items on the Mac don't make it back to the Blackberry, despite console.log telling me they did.

OS X 10.4.2
Blackberry 7730 v.4.0.0.185
Using BES
Latest PocketMac (purchased day before yesterday)
Syncing calendar and task list against iCal.

I've dug through PocketMac's website, but neither running SyncClean.app nor turning off wireless helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #33
pjginfl

Model: 7100g

Well... I'm befuddled. My tasks are syncing no problem... but not addresses or calendar. I'm trying to sync with DAYLITE... but have changed it to others to see if it works. It doesn't. I'm using Tiger - 10.4.2 - and 3.12 pocketmac.

It seems to connect - but doesn't do the job. I've never found an area where it will allow me to select whether the device or the mac wins in a conflict, either.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

PJGINFL
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 PM   #34
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon

i was having issues with syncing entourage with my bb .... i ended up upgrading from office X to office 2004 ... i also had to download the latest version of pocket mac as they were aware of a "sync bug" with tiger ..... everything is running flawlessly now
Old 12-24-2005, 02:31 PM   #35
lany

Model: 7230

I have the BB 7230 and a 12" PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.3.9. When the computer goes to sleep after I run PocketMac and sync my BB to Entourage it won't wake up. I have to hold down the power key to force it to shutdown and then turn the computer back on. Has anyone else encoutnered this problem? Any fixes for it?

Last edited by lany; 12-24-2005 at 03:21 PM..
Old 12-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #36
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lany
I have the BB 7230 and a 12" PowerBook G4. When the computer goes to sleep after I run PocketMac and sync my BB to Entourage it won't wake up. I have to hold down the power key to force it to shutdown and then turn the computer back on. Has anyone else encoutnered this problem? Any fixes for it?
Jesus Man, I can see the flames coming at you already 5 posts, the original and four cross posts. No need to man, they will answer your questions just be patient, there is nothing life and death about any of this.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 02-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #37
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Everything is working fine but the notes!

I have about 15 notes on my 7100t and the Pocketmac only syncs 2 of them. doesn't anyone know why the others wouldn't be grabbed off the 'berry?

My situation:
~just got my iMac with 10.4.x (had normal PC setup before that)
~Using Pocketmac 3.12
~Syncing to Entourage

-roccit
Old 03-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #38
chris1970
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e

I just got the BlackBerry 8700c and immediately downloaded the free PocketMac application. Setting it up was a snap and although I first used it to sync to Address Book and iCal I no longer do that now. I changed the settings to sync only with the Entourage Calendar and Address Book. Works perfectly and I have not had any conflicts.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #39
aphr0deity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1970
I just got the BlackBerry 8700c and immediately downloaded the free PocketMac application. Setting it up was a snap and although I first used it to sync to Address Book and iCal I no longer do that now. I changed the settings to sync only with the Entourage Calendar and Address Book. Works perfectly and I have not had any conflicts.
Did you encounter any problems syncing with iCal and Address Book originally?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #40
marksponsler

Carrier: Cingular

Has anyone here heard about a new version of PocketMac. I can sync to iCal and AddressBook, but not to DayLite. The support from PocketMac has been sporadic. Thanks, Mark
Closed Thread