Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #21
Ryan8700
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: GPONG
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

I completley agree with the OP. I just got my 8800, and already the 8300 is comming out, and rumours of 9XXX series? I just want to have the latest and greatest phone for at least half a year. I've had 10 cell phones in the last two years, 3 of which are Blackberries. I don't mind that the 8300 is comming out too much, because it's kind of just a variation of the 8800. But I hope that RIM doesn't release any more for a while.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #22
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
Is this a real corporate division or based on slotting devices released? For example, I am a professional, but I would like also like WiFi and maybe a camera. Although phones are not allowed to be turned on where I work (court), when I leave that enviorment I want a single device that has as many features as possible. I do not want to have to carry 2 devices. On vacation I also want a single device. Do most people also carry a second device with a BB? Since I am new to the BB, maybe this is something I should consider.

In your opinion, what makes the 8800 a prosumer - more professional than the 8300?

One of the first big arguments about cameras on a BlackBerry is how it would affect those in the corporate world. A lot of companies do not allow camera devices. It is not my opinion that this makes the 8800 more pro sumer, however it's my opinion that this is what RIM is shooting for.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #23
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

It's Sunday morning and I'm still drinking the coffee, so I'll throw in $0.02 USD. Y'all are forgetting the golden rule of capitalism - make more money. RIM makes zero money beyond the initial sale of the device, and by that I mean OS upgrades are free (i.e. no continuing return on investment). Let's not target RIM here, Nokia is the same exact way - the two companies have extrememly similar business models (the difference of course being RIM with BES, and Nokia with their telco hardware/etc.). Then add in how the US cellphone market's hands are handcuffed by the carriers, the major source of revenue for them (and in RIM's case, nearly the only one outside the government) who determine what features are in what device based on *their* revenue model, not what the consumer wants (hello, T-Mobile and Sprint).

You can rant and rave all you want about "too fast!" with devices, but the reality is that they need to keep making new handsets with different features to sell to different people to make money. The trick is to re-use the same manufacturing processes under the hood to keep production costs down and gain a higher profit margin (such as the same CPUs and board design, same RF parts, IC designs, etc.) Again, Nokia does the *exact* same thing -- have you looked at the plethora of N-series and E-series devices, not to mention all the S40-based ones as well? Same hardware (within reason), different shell and OS features.

Your days of yore are gone forever, buying a device and expecting it to be current for more than 6 months - tops - is a pipe dream. The market moves fast and hard and the device manufacturers have to keep up, selling highend devices to early adopters (which is the segment with the most disposable income and are willing to buy their devices). We on this forum are in that bunch, of course - I keep a device for just about 6 months before rotating to a new one (some longer, some shorter). There's always improvements that I'm after that are never "upgradeable" to an older device, which is of course planned obsolescence (e.g. the fact that an "older" S60 device running "S60 9.1" can't be upgraded to run "S60 9.1 FP2" because Nokia doesn't want it to, they want you to run out and buy the new device instead so they make more money).

/end diatribe about capitalism.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Agreed Rivvie. However, one question. Doesn't RIM also make money on the data plans from the carriers? All data goes through their system. One would assume that isn't free.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #25
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Agreed Rivvie. However, one question. Doesn't RIM also make money on the data plans from the carriers? All data goes through their system. One would assume that isn't free.
Yah, very true - but again, that's an ancillary income not tied to the device; they make the same amount of money if you're using the old 8700 or the new 8300, it's just a PIN. Just like with Nokia's telco division, they make the same money regardless of the actual equipment sending traffic through it, be it an ancient Lucent or the newest Cisco.

Releasing more/newer devices is a new source of income that drives up their profit. With luck, the early adopters give their old device to a partner/spouse/mother/etc. and now they have two, two two count 'em two revenue streams using data. Unique to the BlackBerry model is their carrier-controlled data streams, so having a lot of old devices floating the market actually *increases* their revenue, since to use any BB to it's fullest you add that data plan.

Oh, those smart canucks, they know what they're doing.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #26
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Sounds a lot like a drug dealer! Hmmmm.....
Old 05-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #27
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Sounds a lot like a drug dealer! Hmmmm.....
Except the first one ain't free.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 AM   #28
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

lol the narcotics metaphores.

next you see a Version of dopewars listing crackberrys as a drug you can buy and sell
Old 05-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #29
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
lol the narcotics metaphores.
CrackBerry -- DEA Schedule I drug, nestled right inbetween Codeine-N-oxide and Cyprenorphine. Coming soon to a law enforcement angency near you!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #30
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You have never play drugwar or dope wars have you?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
You have never play drugwar or dope wars have you?
Looked at it a few times, not interested. Ranks up there with nethack on my list of things that other people do that I don't care about.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #32
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Why you can get it on you Bb I have it.

Net hach wth is that.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #33
blakeatl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I won't switch from my Pearl until the 9300 comes out.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #34
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

th 8300 cause i have big hands .ringsize 15
Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 AM   #35
USArmyWife1982
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EF4672
Carrier: TMO

yes cause i have a problem with always wanting the new and the best thing ... and when they come out so often im dropping money like its going out of style. My poor husband.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:24 AM   #36
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I understand what your talking about.. what gets us mad is because we spend hundreds of dollars in a device then a new one will come out and even better than the one we just purchased. I mean, we are just barely enjoying our new toy and here comes a new one.

It would be great if we could upgrade our device to a new one for a fraction of the price, but that's not going to happen.

I guess we just need to learn how to control ourselves and keep our device and love em' and pretend that there is nothing out there better.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 05-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #37
BB8100user
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

I could be wrong but I think Blackberry makes ongoing income from BES / licenses & tech support.

If it was only a hardware vendor then things would look bleak without new hardware all the time.

Here is a blurb from their investor page:

Quote:
RIM generates revenue primarily from the sale of hardware, licensing of software and providing services to our carrier partners. Service revenue is generated through a monthly access fee charged to the carrier for each of their end users that have a subscriber account with an active status. In exchange, RIM gives the end user access, via the carrier, to the BlackBerry architecture for the wireless transmission of data. The carrier owns the relationship with the end user.

Last edited by BB8100user; 05-21-2007 at 05:54 PM..
Closed Thread