BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
ssaya

Model: 8700r
Default Doing Everything Wirelessly

Please Login to Remove!

We recently got our new 8700r and we are already running 4.0 for BES. We are thinking about completely removing the desktop manager from our client machines and perform OS upgrades through a central machine.

My question is if we want to backup user data such as (calendar, emails, address book) can this be done wirelessly and also if I want to remove, lets say Brickbreaker can this be done wirelessly also?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Shahid
Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Hey Shahid, do not think you can do everything wirelessly for now for 4.0... If you refer to BES4.1 System Admin Guide - Appendix: Wireless backup and restore, this page has a table of data not wirelessly backup.. you may like to read up. If 4.1 cannot, then 4.0 will not have...
Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

If your synching everything wirelessly, then the everything is on their email or BES server. You are backing up your email and BES servers aren't you? Are you wanting something more?

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Debau
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

We don't load Desktop Manager. All OS upgrades are done by me. I don't need anymore software on a users computer to deal with. We have no issues with backup or policies. We are on BES 4.0 on Domino 6.5.4. So all of our email, calendar, and address books are replicated to the server and our servers are backed up nightly.

I believe you can create a policy to control handheld applications, such as games. We don't, they aren't allowed to download, but they can play what is on there now. I would rather them play a game then get bored in an airport and play with there settings!!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

We're running 4.1 in an exchange 2003 environment, and we do not use the desktop software for anything.

In terms of backing up, i assume your mail servers backup on their own so mail isn't an issue.

If you mean backing up the data on the handlheld, to my knowledge this cannot be done without the desktop manager software, but i could be wrong.

That being said, if you need to re-provision a device (and you will) the user will lose all the MAIL they had on their, other than the last 2 weeks worth which comes back automatically. Calendar/notes/contacts etc will all be there though.
Closed Thread