Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Desktop manager with BES 4.0

Please Login to Remove!

My Nextel rep told me today that when we upgrade to BES 4.0, we will not need to use the desktop manager. Is this true? how do you load apps and do back up of the handheld?
BES 4.1
Old 07-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
camerch
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100t

When using BES v4.0 there realy is no need to have Desktop Manger, it is still useful but there really isn't a need for it...

Your enterprise server, once configured, will automatically backup the device, generate encryption keys, send applications over-the-air, etc., etc...

IT DOES IT ALL!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:34 AM   #3
jfh4k0
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700

there are a few items that donot back upto the server for example saved messages and profiles. but for the most part it is a fully wireless experience.

nice.. very nice.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

We don't even install it anymore on our users' pc.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
We don't even install it anymore on our users' pc.
Ditto, we rolled out a project to remove it from everyone that's been upgraded to 4.0 handheld software. Our desktop support people don't even support the device anymore, now it's all me :-\ Stupid wireless.

haha.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
JR--

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled
Ditto, we rolled out a project to remove it from everyone that's been upgraded to 4.0 handheld software. Our desktop support people don't even support the device anymore, now it's all me :-\ Stupid wireless.

haha.
Is there a specfic procedure when un-installing the desktop software? I had a user uninstall the software and the wireless synch suddenly broke. I was getting encryption errors when trying to send emails from the blackberry device.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
camerch
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100t

How did you have the user delete the application?

If the applications profile is not set to required then the end user can delete the application from Options -> Applications..

Works for me and never had a problem.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR--
Is there a specfic procedure when un-installing the desktop software? I had a user uninstall the software and the wireless synch suddenly broke. I was getting encryption errors when trying to send emails from the blackberry device.
Wireless Sync has nothing to do with the desktop.

I believe our desktop techs just remove it with add/remove programs. You may need to enterprise activate it again afterwards, i'm not sure.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
mturp

but you do need the desktop managers software if you plan to sync with personal or public folders correct?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

With BES 3.6 I think so, but not with 4.0
Old 07-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #11
pomc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

You'll still need Desktop Manager if using SMIME so you can sync certs from the PC to the Blackberry. You'll also need it to reconcile messages moved to a personal folder.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:48 PM   #12
jfh4k0
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700

you need desktop manager to synch w/personal and public folders and to see a calendar that is not your own.

wireless synch has nothing to do w/the desktop mgr. if email redirection stoppedafter removing the manager then 1. you are using the desktop as a redirector, or 2 something else happened. it should not interrupt email. it is probably a good idea to not have the heandheld cradled when adding removinng software. adding especially.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:48 AM   #13
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

What about being able to set level 1 alert filters, mapping odd outlook fields to the handhald or even choosing which folders the wirelessly sync? What about apps that don't load OTA or what about if the OS currupts and you need to wipe and refresh? When you take DTM from the user you are taking away their ability to personilize their personal assistant. Just my $00.02
Old 07-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #14
jwcanada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Few things to keep in mind and some have been addressed already. The BES 4.0 will backup your handhelds assuming they are all on handheld version 4.0 or later. Also to have a "fully" wireless solution your users will need to be on handhedl version 4.0 or greater. If not they will still need DM until you upgrade them. There are some things that don't get backed up that is addressed above. If a app can't be loaded over the air then you can use the app loader lite (a little setup required) on the BES server but it will require the Handheld Manager to be on the PC and the user would cradle the BB and map out to the server and the share that was created for app loader lite and load the app from there. But in the very near future you will see very few legit apps that will not install OTA or some are setup to use the BlackBerry Browser to internal servers.

As far as some of your other Q's. Filters are setup on the handheld or BES side now. We are a Domino shop so not sure about the mapping of Outlook fields...not sure if its the same as Domino or not. As far as the OS corrupting what we have done with various success on the few devices that we had issues with was kill the device and then have the go through a Enterprise Activation again and since their device is backed up on the server all the things that get backed up come back down to the BB. So it is not true that taking away DM takes away their ability to personilize their device.

Going to 4.0 is the best thing you could ever do from a user's experience to an administrators experience. Much easier to keep your environment up to date....apply security through IT Policy (Very Important due to SOX) and alot more administrative control if needed.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #15
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcanada
As far as some of your other Q's. Filters are setup on the handheld or BES side now. .
Was the ability to add filters via the handheld a feature added with BES 4.0? os with the OS 4.0?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:16 AM   #16
jwcanada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I am almost positive it was a combination of BES 4.0 and Handheld 4.0. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #17
Pligs76

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone

See the advantages of having OTA sync, but there are certain folders in Outlook that I would like to sync via the Desktop. Unfortunately our IT and I cannot make it work.

Got 7290's v 4.0 with BES 4.0 and Desktop 4.01. Using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003.

After an Enterprise Activatin everything works fine until the second you connect the USB cable into the BB and the Desktop has created a connection. Immidiately thereafter we can no longer send any emails from the BB. Get the well known decryption error.

Have been reading and searching on this forum for weeks and tried out all sorts of solutions. Seems Desktop and BES is not meant to work together?

Any clues or links appreciated

Pligs
Germany
Old 07-15-2005, 11:16 AM   #18
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just got moved to BES 4.0 the other day on my 7520. They had me wipe my handheld and I though I was going to be able to restore my bookmarks with the desktop manager but it was all greyed out. When you guys move someone to a 4.0 server do you make them wipe or just delete the service books and do an OTA activation.

I was told they tried doing it w/o wiping the device but they couldn't make it work right.

It would be nice if they would allow you to import data from an old backup in to the new device.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.

Last edited by stonent; 07-15-2005 at 11:19 AM..
Old 07-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #19
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pligs76
After an Enterprise Activatin everything works fine until the second you connect the USB cable into the BB and the Desktop has created a connection. Immidiately thereafter we can no longer send any emails from the BB. Get the well known decryption error.
I have seen the same thing in my environment. I just tell people not to use the Desktop software. It appears that the handheld is updating the encryption key but the BES is not receiving that update.

-Scott
Old 07-18-2005, 05:46 AM   #20
Pligs76

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder81
I have seen the same thing in my environment. I just tell people not to use the Desktop software. It appears that the handheld is updating the encryption key but the BES is not receiving that update.

-Scott
Have cometo the same conclusion. No Desktop.

-- Pligs
Closed Thread