BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Default does using hosted BES affect data consumption/other programs?

Please Login to Remove!

Does using a hosted BES for email affect data consumption at all? (I'm on a limited data plan)

Also, does using a hosted BES instead of BIS affect other programs? ie: messenger programs etc.?
Old 05-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis104 View Post
Does using a hosted BES for email affect data consumption at all? (I'm on a limited data plan)

Also, does using a hosted BES instead of BIS affect other programs? ie: messenger programs etc.?
It uses data, so it would count against your data plan. How much depends on how many messages you receive and whether they have attachments or not.

Since you are talking about a hosted BES, I assume you are thinking something like Mailstreet, or similar service. If that is the case, then it shouldn't affect other programs. If you are talking of a BES in your company, then all bets are off as they company controls the IT Policies and what they allow the BB to do and not to do.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
It uses data, so it would count against your data plan. How much depends on how many messages you receive and whether they have attachments or not.

Since you are talking about a hosted BES, I assume you are thinking something like Mailstreet, or similar service. If that is the case, then it shouldn't affect other programs. If you are talking of a BES in your company, then all bets are off as they company controls the IT Policies and what they allow the BB to do and not to do.
Thx! Ya, Hosted BES like exchangemymail (which seems popular here). I know it uses data, I was just wondering if the data consumption is different than BIS (I cant think of any reason it would be but since im on a limited plan it seems like something good to double check).
Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another question, someone said in another thread that when you have a hosted BES your other third party apps go through the hosted BES. What does this mean? Does this mean if i have a hosted BES my other programs like messenger also go through the BES system?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Data usage would probably go up a bit because of the ongoing OTA sync. I can't say exactly how much as I've always been on hosted BES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis104 View Post
Another question, someone said in another thread that when you have a hosted BES your other third party apps go through the hosted BES. What does this mean? Does this mean if i have a hosted BES my other programs like messenger also go through the BES system?
It really depends. If you use the Blackberry Browser it does connect via your BES host's MDS. Internet Browser does not. Some third party apps allow you to choose the connection. Some don't. BB Messenger uses the PIN infrastructure for messaging with has nothing to do with your BES hosting provider.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-27-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Old 05-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Data usage would probably go up a bit because of the ongoing OTA sync. I can't say exactly how much as I've always been on hosted BES.

It really depends. If you use the Blackberry Browser it does connect via your BES host's MDS. Internet Browser does not. Some third party apps allow you to choose the connection. Some don't. BB Messenger uses the PIN infrastructure for messaging with has nothing to do with your BES hosting provider.
thx! does it make a difference what browser you use, in terms of data consumption and security?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I'd say the security difference is negligible though someone more concerned with security might be concerned that BES/MDS traffic flows through the BES hosting provider's servers. However, unless you've bothered to establish connections secured on both ends for email and web browsing then worrying about privacy once your packets are sent out into the wide internet seems kinda pointless to me. YMMV.
Closed Thread