Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default My 8310 and Car Stereo

Please Login to Remove!

I wanted to try to get internet radio from my phone go to the FM radio in my 2003 Saturn Vue. Its just a regular stock radio with AM/FM/Cassette/CD. Has no changer or input in the front.
I ended up trying a Griffin Itrip that has a FM transmitter and a USB port so I can keep the phone charged. The result is that sometimes I get some interference sometimes it's clean. I wonder if this interference is the DC power from the lighter. I want to be able to listen to internet radio so the Blackberry has to stay on. Does anyone who have the same kind of product have these problems?
Also, is there a 3.5mm plug converter for the Blackberry, I sure would feel more comfortable pluging a 4 ring plug that converts to 3 ring for the Griffin. As you know Blackberry has that 4th ring for the headset set up. Thanks for any help.
Also, Playing the Internet radio on the blackberry makes the blackberry get warm in the back I was wondering if I bluetooth the audio to a bluetooth audio gateway than output that to the griffin would that make the blackberry not get so warm and perhaps solve the interference issue?
Thoughts please. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
angel365

PIN: N/A
Talking 8310 and free internet radio

I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I have a dumb one to ask u......what website r u getting internet radio?

Sweet Angel
Old 07-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftv View Post
I ended up trying a Griffin Itrip that has a FM transmitter and a USB port so I can keep the phone charged. The result is that sometimes I get some interference sometimes it's clean. I wonder if this interference is the DC power from the lighter.
You're bound to get interference with an FM transmitter. Using an 850MHz GSM device (the 8310 on at&t) doesn't help either.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
You're bound to get interference with an FM transmitter. Using an 850MHz GSM device (the 8310 on at&t) doesn't help either.
I went and got a audio ground isolator from Radio Shack and it helps. I would say if the interference was noticable like 80% of the time before, now with the isolator between the cell phone and the ITrip the interference is like 20% of the time. And its all about the placement of the FM transmitter near the car stereo and separating the 8310 as far away as I possibly can.
I really wonder if I got a bluetooth music gateway feeding the Itrip if this would solve it. Then I can have maximum separation probably. There is a cheap bluetooth I can try but I wonder if you or anyone has tried that?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700

I have tried quite a few of the FM Transmitters that are on the market... and my advice to anyone looking at them is... You get what you pay for!

I am currently using a Motorola T505 ($129 USD), and it has the highest audio quality via FM transmission as well as integrated Bluetooth connection.

@neftv: Position is key to the whole thing, and streaming radio, since it uses data transmission with the phone, actually causes feedback. The phone will get warm, mine gets warm every time I stream radio, but never gets "hot". The T505 does a good job of keeping the signal clean, and does autofind the best FM channel to use in your area.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun27612 View Post
I have tried quite a few of the FM Transmitters that are on the market... and my advice to anyone looking at them is... You get what you pay for!

I am currently using a Motorola T505 ($129 USD), and it has the highest audio quality via FM transmission as well as integrated Bluetooth connection.

@neftv: Position is key to the whole thing, and streaming radio, since it uses data transmission with the phone, actually causes feedback. The phone will get warm, mine gets warm every time I stream radio, but never gets "hot". The T505 does a good job of keeping the signal clean, and does autofind the best FM channel to use in your area.
So you use a bluetooth instead of audio jack and the phone still gets warm?... I just wanted to know that.
I don't understand what you mean about feedback.
I really don't get that many calls so I was intentionally was just looking to make the FM transmitter work and I almost got it. I'm actually emailing Griffen tech support waiting on the second round of response. Reason I got the fm transmitter (Itrip) was that I had a Circuit City gift card and I wanted to use it was just enough for that. Circuit City has the T605 but doesn't the 605 need to be professionally installed?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700

Yes, the back of the phone gets warm while using the media player via bluetooth. The feedback I am referring to is the typical "data transer feedback" you get when standing near speakers or microphones with the Blackberry. The feedback occurs during data transmission to/from the phone, and is not limited to only phone calls.

Yes, the T605 should be installed professionally for best results.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun27612 View Post
Yes, the back of the phone gets warm while using the media player via bluetooth. The feedback I am referring to is the typical "data transer feedback" you get when standing near speakers or microphones with the Blackberry. The feedback occurs during data transmission to/from the phone, and is not limited to only phone calls.

Yes, the T605 should be installed professionally for best results.
I wanted to update that the ground isolation device I put in the audio path appears to work well today. On a 25 min trip I did not hear the cell phone interfere with audio on the transmitter or my car stereo. I have my phone on my passenger seat and the audio isolator sitting on the center console next to me and the wire goes up to the lighter jack. So far so good. It appears that the ITrip fm transmitter is not shielded properly using it alone. What is strange though I could take the same FM transmitter and use it in the house with a 12 volt wall wart with out the ground isolator and I had no interference. So I don't know what/why is happening. But I think somehow the ground which is the whole car might have something to do with it.
Closed Thread