BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #81
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business
Default Re: 10 october 2011 EMEA outages ?

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I wonder what their number 2 priority is

To save their heads. There is a stockholder call taking place that proposes replacing the executives with someone that gives a f..
Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #82
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
RIM's outage (and traditional, usual terrible response) has nothing to do with the fact that your carrier doesn't carrier a model you want!

How can you link the two? If T-Mobile UK doesn't carry the model you want (read: didn't pay RIM for it) then complain to them.

RIM's inexcusable silence about the outage has nothing to do with that!
That's how I can link them 2 easily:
* RIM makes BBs which I own one
* T-Mobile is a carrier that put them available to its customers (I'm one as well).

In my personal life, I'm the link between them. If I owned another brand of mobile I wouldnt be mentioning RIM or if I had another carrier they could either have the device or not which would lead to another situation. I was never 100% happy with RIM but no other brand brought anything that made me wish to change. This outages and the fact that TMob doesnt supply what I'm looking for just made me think maybe I can get something else.
Im happy with T-Mob so I could perhaps change device, still, Im not saying I will change but will look at it without prejudice.

I dont understand why you cant see from my customer point of view.

RE outage: Nothing is working without wifi -BIS - (apart from calls, sms, mms) but even on wifi emails not working.
BES intermittent.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #83
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
To save their heads. There is a stockholder call taking place that proposes replacing the executives with someone that gives a f..
That started long before this outage. Did you do any research on this guy?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #84
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
Did you do any research on this guy?
No, after Lessard, Kirkup, Wallace, Bidan and McDowell resigned i stopped paying attention.
They're clearly in trouble, needs management changes, pronto
Old 10-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #85
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
RIM's outage (and traditional, usual terrible response) has nothing to do with the fact that your carrier doesn't carrier a model you want!
Actually, while still lackluster, RIM has indeed responded on this outage with infrequent updates, much more still than they have done in the past.

http://www.rim.com/newsroom/service-update.shtml
Quote:
BlackBerry Service Update

Wednesday 12th October – 9:45 (GMT-5)
BlackBerry subscribers in the Americas may be experiencing intermittent service delays this morning. We are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and we apologize to our customers for any inconvenience. We will provide a further update as soon as more information is available.
Wednesday 12th October – 12:00 (GMT+1)
We know that many of you are still experiencing service problems. The resolution of this service issue is our Number One priority right now and we are working night and day to restore all BlackBerry services to normal levels. We will continue to keep this page updated.
Tuesday 11th October - 21:30 (GMT+1)
The messaging and browsing delays that some of you are still experiencing were caused by a core switch failure within RIM’s infrastructure. Although the system is designed to failover to a back-up switch, the failover did not function as previously tested. As a result, a large backlog of data was generated and we are now working to clear that backlog and restore normal service as quickly as possible. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused to many of you and we will continue to keep you informed.
Tuesday 11th October - 16:00 (GMT+1)
Some of you are experiencing messaging and browsing delays. We are working to restore normal service as quickly as possible and we apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.
Monday 10th October - 20:46 (GMT+1)
Our sincere apologies to all of you affected by today's BlackBerry service issues.
Monday 10th October - 15:00 (GMT+1)
We are currently working to resolve an issue impacting some of our BlackBerry customers in the Europe, Middle East and Africa region. In the meantime, we apologise to you for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #86
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom

Service will be back before the weekend:

RIM: BlackBerry BBM back before the weekend | thinq
Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #87
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Wednesday 12th October - 15:00 (GMT-5)
Listen to the BlackBerry Service Update Press Conference.

Wednesday 12th October xxx8211; 14:38 (GMT-5)
We continue to work on clearing the message backlog in order to eliminate delays. Thank you for your patience.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #88
johnny_boy_uk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9380
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy_uk View Post
Here's an update 18 hours on from when I first noticed BES data delays of over an hour on my User's handhelds. Things have improved in that delays sending/receiving email are now between a few minutes and around 20 minutes and I can perform Lookups against the GAL to put names in the TO: field when creating a new email (last night Lookups would time-out).

I do however still have an unusually high number of Pending Data Packets (Messages) awaiting delivery to handhelds and it's rising so I think my 75 handhelds must be experiencing varying and random lengths of delays.

I am wondering if the BES data delays are a result of the huge backlog of BIS data that RIM is having to process after the BIS outage? I'm also wondering if the fact that some countries are still having a BIS outage means the delays for BES data will continue until all the BIS problems have been fixed?

The last 6 hours have been very hit and miss for BES data for my 75 Users in the UK. After things improved from midday in to the afternoon, the evening saw a return to emails taking over an hour to send/receive and Lookups against the GAL failing to complete. Pending messages for the whole BES server that are awaiting delivery to handhelds have also increased significantly by a few hundered since mid-day.

Just to show how hit and miss the service is right now, 10 minutes ago I sent an email to myself from my Blackerry to the Exchange mailbox my Blackberry is activated against and it arrived back on my Blackberry within 1 minute (slow but acceptable). I repeated the test 5 minutes later and have now been waiting for 10 minutes for it to arrive...somewhere...anywhere! It hasn't even arrived in my Exchange mailbox never mind get deliverd back on the Blackberry even though the handheld shows it as ticked (sent) - it will probably show as failed to send (red X) later on. << UPDATE: It turned to a red X 5 mins later>>

I wish RIM would give specific service status information for both BES and BIS as there is so much gossip and rumour going around about what is and isn't affected. The service updates at BlackBerry Service Update make no distinction between BES and BIS data and yet RIM are trying to convince the media and the press that only BIS is affected, that business customers are all fine and happy, but that is clearly not the case. This on-going unfixed outage is destroying the BES service too.

Johnny
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #89
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

It is affecting both BIS and BES.

My email has been down since 7am EDT
It doesn't even matter

Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #90
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Actually, while still lackluster, RIM has indeed responded on this outage with infrequent updates, much more still than they have done in the past.
True but there not telling us anything of any note - do you really believe it's a switch outage that has taken out the whole of EMEA for 3 days? Why hasn't anyone been fired for this screwup - I know I would if we had a similar issue in our business

Ironically today was the blackberry innovation forum in London - at least the UK MD, Stephen Bates got up and spoke about the issue, altough it was a bit PR Speak party line.

RIM UK MD apologises for BlackBerry network outage - Pocket-lint

Last edited by bertiebassett; 10-12-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #91
johnny_boy_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy_uk View Post
The last 6 hours have been very hit and miss for BES data for my 75 Users in the UK. After things improved from midday in to the afternoon, the evening saw a return to emails taking over an hour to send/receive and Lookups against the GAL failing to complete. Pending messages for the whole BES server that are awaiting delivery to handhelds have also increased significantly by a few hundered since mid-day.

Just to show how hit and miss the service is right now, 10 minutes ago I sent an email to myself from my Blackerry to the Exchange mailbox my Blackberry is activated against and it arrived back on my Blackberry within 1 minute (slow but acceptable). I repeated the test 5 minutes later and have now been waiting for 10 minutes for it to arrive...somewhere...anywhere! It hasn't even arrived in my Exchange mailbox never mind get deliverd back on the Blackberry even though the handheld shows it as ticked (sent) - it will probably show as failed to send (red X) later on. << UPDATE: It turned to a red X 5 mins later>>

I wish RIM would give specific service status information for both BES and BIS as there is so much gossip and rumour going around about what is and isn't affected. The service updates at BlackBerry Service Update make no distinction between BES and BIS data and yet RIM are trying to convince the media and the press that only BIS is affected, that business customers are all fine and happy, but that is clearly not the case. This on-going unfixed outage is destroying the BES service too.

Just thought I'd add that I am now getting exactly the same lengths of delay in the delivery of PIN messages from my BES to my handhelds as I'm getting with both BES and BIS emails (I have a Yahoo email address setup on my handheld through BIS as well as an MS Exchange mailbox through BES). So this is certainly looking like the backlog problem and European throttling action talked about in the Service Update Press Conference here http://www.rim.com/newsroom/service-update.shtml

Johnny
Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #92
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

I am getting BES emails now and BIS is coming back up slowly. Hope the rest of you are getting some data flow now
It doesn't even matter

Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #93
svandamme

Model: 7100t
Carrier: mobistar

Still nothing here, BES express is dead in the water, nothing in, nothing out.. With a BIS subscription, and wifi on.. Heading for 4 days outage, it's almost impressive how long it's lasting.. By now they could have flown the backups from Slough to The us noc, and run the uk backups off the us backup hardware.. Starting to think they aren t telling the whole story(well duh , they aren't telling jack sjit).. Maybe they are hacked and not disclosing it?!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #94
freakinvibe

Good morning. BES, BIS, BBM now running happily in Switzerland. Keep fingers crossed.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 AM   #95
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinvibe View Post
Keep fingers crossed.
+1

BIS running good in here as well, at least on my BB. Not sure when it started but from this morning on its all working as normal, so far!!!

Edit: I've noticed my emails were being received as normal through the night but I was on wifi as well.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #96
dmousey

Model: 8520
Carrier: vodafone

im back up and running since 2345 last night, hope they keep it fixed.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #97
Boxer

Model: 9800
Carrier: swisscom

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinvibe View Post
Good morning. BES, BIS, BBM now running happily in Switzerland. Keep fingers crossed.
Well mine was working until a couple of hours ago, and I am in Basel. So no general fix for Switzerland!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #98
freakinvibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Well mine was working until a couple of hours ago, and I am in Basel. So no general fix for Switzerland!
Swisscom has updated their status page and they say everything is running.

What are the specific problem you have? I am in Basel as well.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #99
Stijn

Model: 9700
Carrier: Proximus

Have had three days of outage (most of the time), at best extremely slow delivery (6 hours delays) on email. Internet and BBM most of the time not available. Thursday appears to be better, but still slow delivery at times (delays of up to 1 hour). BIS on Proximus, Belgium.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #100
johnny_boy_uk

Today in the UK things have improved for my BES users in that emails and PIM data send from handhelds delivers to the mailbox in the normal amount of time. However emails and PIM data sent to a Blackberry user are still delayed for several mintues to 20 mins before arriving on the handheld. On the BES the Pending Data Packets to handhelds is still higher than normal so it looks like delivery delays are across all my users. So, it's only fixed in one direction for me so far.

Something that is concerning is that wireless activations handhelds are failing. The email with the ept.dat attachment arrives in a user's mailbox but doesn't get processed. The acivation fails before any synchronisation occurs with "An error occurred. Please contact your System Administrator." Wireless activations worked fine before this week's RIM outage. Wired activations are working OK luckily.

Johnny
Closed Thread