Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
futurepa

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Cool Editing Blackberry from Desktop

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, everyone. Blackberry newbie here, ex-Treo user (eek, eek, yeah, I know). So maybe one of you gurus can point me in the right direction here.

I've explored the different options for how to create/edit calendar, tasks, and other options from my desktop and have these settings transferred from the PC to the Blackberry (i.e., Yahoo, Google calendar, a few aftermarket programs), but I have yet to find anything that is exactly compatible with the Blackberry's settings. What I mean is, I want to transfer more than just task name and due date, or calendar event name and time.

I want to be able to transfer task and calendar reminders as well. I've also found that contact specifics in Windows Mail, such as address and birthdates, do not transfer to the Blackberry.

Not trying to commit adultery here, but with the Treo I was able to edit any and all settings from the desktop and have them transfer into their exact locations within the Treo. Can anyone tell me how to do that with the Blackberry?

Thanks!!!

-Tripp

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 09-27-2008 at 08:18 AM..
Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to BB Forums.

I edited the font to make it readable. It was not readable in the original.

Most people use Outlook and manage their calendar, notes, tasks and contacts there, then sync directly to the BB using the Intellisync program provided with Desktop Manager. There is no "Palm Desktop" equivalent - most just use Outlook.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Welcome to the BBForums.

Outlook's data settings are perfectly compatible with that of the BlackBerry, and the sync is seamless.

Or, look at Bayalink, for their solution.
Bayalink Solutions Corp.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
futurepa

Default Ah, well. . .

Well, that sounds easy enough, but here are a few problems:

1-The only options that I have to sync my calendar with the desktop sync software are Yahoo and ASCII Importer/Exporter (I'm using Windows Vista, and technically I guess it's not "Outlook" anymore, but "Windows Mail"). . .the same choices appear for Tasks.

2-I CAN sync contacts to Windows Mail, BUT all the fields don't transfer. For one example (of many), if I enter the address for someone in Windows Mail in the Home Tab, the only thing that transfers to the Pearl is City, State, and Zip. If I enter a work address in the Work Tab, it doesn't transfer at all.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
tpeetros
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I ran into the same problem as you with Vista. My guess is that you have the Microsoft Office home edition. For some reason, they left out Outlook. I went to Best Buy last week and picked up Outlook 2007 (vers 12) that will run on Vista. It normally retails for around $109, they had it on sale for $90. I loaded it on my PC and everything syncs up perfectly with my BB. Once it's running you have to make sure Outlook is set up to leave mail on the server (your provider) one it shows up in Outlook otherwise the email won't make it to your phone. I learned that yesterday from one of our fellow BB users in this forum. I can give you the directions on where to find that setting if you decide to go this route.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
futurepa

Default Wow

You would be right in assuming I have Microsoft Office Home. So Windows Mail and Outlook are two different things? Damn. I really don't want to drop $100 for Outlook. I would have thought I had everything I need to make this work. Any suggestions outside of paying for Outlook?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepa View Post
You would be right in assuming I have Microsoft Office Home. So Windows Mail and Outlook are two different things? Damn. I really don't want to drop $100 for Outlook. I would have thought I had everything I need to make this work. Any suggestions outside of paying for Outlook?
If you have an old xp machine laying around, it will work with outlook express...
Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Outlook Express only has an Address Book.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Outlook Express only has an Address Book.
NJ you right...
Thx, I forgot about the calendar issue...

H.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
tpeetros
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I too wrestled with dropping the $100 for Outlook but once I got it set up and saw how smoothly my Pearl syncs with it I'm really glad I spent the money. Besides, if you are using your pc for business at all you're going to want Outlook anyway instead of just Windows mail which is basically a generic email program.

Here's the instructions to set your version of Outlook to leave messages on the server which will allow them to show up on your phone as well. do this last after everything else is all squared away.

1. Go to TOOLS in the top menu bar
2. Scroll down to ACCOUNT SETTINGS
3. In that window, your email address should appear in the window and should already be highlighted. Click on the CHANGE icon above that window.
4. In the next window, click on the MORE SETTINGS button at the bottom right.
5. In the next window click on the ADVANCED tab at the top.
6. In the next window, go to the bottom and put a check mark in the box next to LEAVE COPY OF MESSAGES ON THE SERVER.
7. Next, click on the REMOVE FROM SERVER AFTER box and then set the number of days to something like 10. This will give the sever plenty of time to deliver the email to your BB as well as your pc without letting all your emails clog up the server over time.

Have fun!
Closed Thread