BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Snake X

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att (prepaid cell at the moment)
Default pay per use

Please Login to Remove!

Hello. I know this may sound incredibly dumb, but im new to the whole blackberry thing. If I get a Blackberry without a data plan from att, does it still offer pay per use? I usually hear its 1 cent per kb, but im just wandering if this option is available for the blackberry. Thanks so much!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

No pay per use BB data from ATT. Might be able to get generic data that way.

What do you need data for - email, Internet?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Yes...You can have pay per use on BB with ATT. That's what I use. I have only gone to $30 in 1 month in the past year and $20 the following as I wias using Google maps to get me around San Diego during a few vacations. So, YES you can indeed have pay per use on ATT with BB.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Snake X

oh ok, thanks. No, it would be just for downloading apps to a bb.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake X View Post
oh ok, thanks. No, it would be just for downloading apps to a bb.
That'll be a problem then. I believe the only way to download apps is if you have a BB data plan since it uses the BB browser. You'll have to do desktop installs. But other data you can get if you use alternative browsers or programs.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Monekypaw is correct. No downloads without a BlackBerryxxx8482; data plan. You can use Opera Mini to view web pages but not to download. Also no push email or BB Messenger.

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwyr View Post
Yes...You can have pay per use on BB with ATT. That's what I use. I have only gone to $30 in 1 month in the past year and $20 the following as I wias using Google maps to get me around San Diego during a few vacations. So, YES you can indeed have pay per use on ATT with BB.
Pay per use BB data or generic data? I know you can't get it where I live - unless they just recently added it.

-->>Twitter

Old 08-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

The only pay per use BB plan I know of is offered by Orange UK.
You can get a standard pay per use phone plan from most carriers, but then your BlackBerry is only a regular phone. No BB data features.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
The only pay per use BB plan I know of is offered by Orange UK.
You can get a standard pay per use phone plan from most carriers, but then your BlackBerry is only a regular phone. No BB data features.
That's what I thought as well.

-->>Twitter

Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Snownation
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 21058D73
Carrier: Orange UK

Wirelessly posted

Yeah I'm aware that Orange UK have a payg BB data plan. The more you use on data the more you pay.
It has its pros and cons. Carriers offering this in the States, I have no idea as I'm a Brit.

A word of advice would be to get an unlimited or near unlimited plan. The things you'll do on a BlackBerry would be too great to miss out for. You will not grasp a BlackBerry's full capability on a payg data plan.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
Snake X

Quote:
AT&T has confirmed an internal email that stated that, after September 6, customers purchasing a new smartphone or renewing a contract with an existing smartphone must subscribe to a data plan
That was what I herd from a news article, but I have some confusion..

This shows the option that I have chosen with no data plan and so I continue to the cart..

so there is no data plan in the cart also, but after september 6th will this be an option even for walmart? I mean I know if you go into the at&t store, you have to buy the blackberry with a data plan with it, no other option. But for walmart, they give you this option, but will it be gone after the 6th?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake X View Post
That was what I herd from a news article, but I have some confusion..
It's not September 6th yet, so you can still get away with activation and no BlackBerry data plan.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Snake X

well, but I am not able to get the phone after the 6th, so am I screwed?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #14
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

You will be, unless AT&T has a change of heart and holds off or cancels this new policy of requiring a data plan with purchase.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Snake X

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You will be, unless AT&T has a change of heart and holds off or cancels this new policy of requiring a data plan with purchase.
and so that includes buying it from walmart also?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:12 AM   #16
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Just to restate what I said. I use a BB and have no data plan and am able to download apps to my device and am charged under the Pay Per Use data that is automatically placed on accounts unless you specifically request that your device recieve NO DATA. I have apps on my phone to prove it and I use Google Maps and Facebook routinely when I am out of town. As for the new policy I am about to research that, because THAT SUCKS. I don't use more than $10 Pay Per Use in a normal month and even under a weekend of Google Map use and Facebook while on vacation it was only $31, so making me pay the $30 every month would suck big time.

Edit............Here is a screen cap of my current billing cycle.

Last edited by barbwyr; 08-28-2009 at 03:38 AM..
Old 08-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

My son has a Curve and daughter has a Pearl both have MediaNet PPU so they can use MMS. If you call AT&T and tell them that's why you need it they'll add it to the account. I had problems with one or two CSR until I told them I wanted it for MMS. Not sure what else you can do with just medianet on a BB.

As for the changes to AT&T's policy, there is a long thread here:
Data plans on smartphones mandatory as of Sept 6 - MEdia Net - Wireless Forums from AT&T

It seems if you change phones on the same plan, you'll be upgraded to a data plan. The FCC yesterday announced their looking into the competitiveness of the wireless market. I wrote them asking how an end device can determine what plan I'm automatically switched on and (stolen analogy from someone else) as it wouldn't be acceptable for a cable company and electric utility if I buy an HDTV.

I encourage as many people as I can to take the five minutes and write a complaint to the FCC. Be sure to mention that Verizon just made this change months ago as it fits in with the industry competition they're investigating.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

[QUOTE=mgerbasio;1460720]
It seems if you change phones on the same plan, you'll be upgraded to a data plan. The FCC yesterday announced their looking into the competitiveness of the wireless market. I wrote them asking how an end device can determine what plan I'm automatically switched on and (stolen analogy from someone else) as it wouldn't be acceptable for a cable company and electric utility if I buy an HDTV.
QUOTE]

What you have to remember is that it's not the tv that determines whether you see cable channels in HD or not, it's the box. You may have an HDTV but you are not seeing cable content in HD unless you have an HD settop box. That's why I like Time Warner Cable...their HD is free and I pay the same amount for the HD-DVR box as I paid for the most basic cable box I had.

As for your electric utility, most already have tiered pricing that charges you more based on how much you use. If you use up to a certain kw level you are charged 1 rate, if you use more than that level you are moved into the next higher tier and charged that rate, so they too have manditory pricing based on your usage.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Point is with HDTV having an end device doesn't determine if the cable company can charge for it. I can use HDTV with a camcorder, playstation/xbox, blu-ray, etc. With a PDA phone I can use it for wifi, PIM, multimedia, etc. Neither service I'm using with device with should force me to a service plan I don't want because I have an end device capable of using a service.

Why draw the line at smartphones, my wife's V9 has the ability to access data?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #20
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
Point is with HDTV having an end device doesn't determine if the cable company can charge for it. I can use HDTV with a camcorder, playstation/xbox, blu-ray, etc. With a PDA phone I can use it for wifi, PIM, multimedia, etc. Neither service I'm using with device with should force me to a service plan I don't want because I have an end device capable of using a service.

Why draw the line at smartphones, my wife's V9 has the ability to access data?
For that matter, my V551 had access to the internet too. Access is not why they are requiring it. They are requiring it for smart phones because typically people with smart phones use more data than those with dumb phones and therefore they are essentially creating a usage tier. If they required data on dumbphones they would begin to lose the cell phone market. They know that smart phone users are more likely to pay it.

As for the HDTV arguement...I think you are still missing the point. If HDTV had builtin decoder boxes and did not require a cable box to view the HD content, then you can bet the cable companies would find a way to charge more for having an HD set. The way things work now is in order to get the HD you have to pay for it from some companies to get the HD box. If you had to have a seperate decoder box to get data on your smart phone then they would not be requiring data because they could insure that only those who pay for it, get it. You are comparing apples and oranges here. In addition, you can use all the features of your smart phone short of cell service without paying a dime just as you can do all those things with an HDTV (games, camcorder, etc) without paying for cable service.
Closed Thread