Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
FirstBB

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default new to bb questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone. First of all let me thank you in advance for your help. I will be purchasing my first BB in the next couple weeks (probably Tour) and have some questions.

1. I would like a calendar program and contacts that syncs well with my desktop. I think Google calendar sounds like the best bet, I don't use outlook. Is this right?

2. I want to be able to check my email easily, but I do not need the BB to announce when I receive one (if it has to, that is ok I just dont need that). What I really want is for my email to be updated on my BB when I use my desktop and be updated on desktop after I use my BB. Is there a way to accomplish this. I read a lot about how a lot of the methods do not have 2way sync of email. I will be creating a new email account so I can use any address (gmail, yahoo, aol etc.) what is the best way to accomplish this?

I know these questions might be answered somewhere or become more apparent once I have the BB but I would really appreciate your help and advice. I have searched and read a lot but I just keep getting more and more confused with all the different possibilities. thanks again
Old 09-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
bdsguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

You can disable the email notifications via the settings on the device. Did you want to be able to view an email that you sent on the blackberry as a sent email in outlook? or vice-versa? you'll be able to delete emails on your bb and have them delete from outlook, but not if you delete from outlook and have them delete from the bb.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBB View Post
Hey everyone. First of all let me thank you in advance for your help. I will be purchasing my first BB in the next couple weeks (probably Tour) and have some questions.

1. I would like a calendar program and contacts that syncs well with my desktop. I think Google calendar sounds like the best bet, I don't use outlook. Is this right?

2. I want to be able to check my email easily, but I do not need the BB to announce when I receive one (if it has to, that is ok I just dont need that). What I really want is for my email to be updated on my BB when I use my desktop and be updated on desktop after I use my BB. Is there a way to accomplish this. I read a lot about how a lot of the methods do not have 2way sync of email. I will be creating a new email account so I can use any address (gmail, yahoo, aol etc.) what is the best way to accomplish this?

I know these questions might be answered somewhere or become more apparent once I have the BB but I would really appreciate your help and advice. I have searched and read a lot but I just keep getting more and more confused with all the different possibilities. thanks again

I use Outlook and it does sync without any issues. Maybe someone else can comment on Google. I do not get any reverse updating on email sent from the BB to Outlook. I know however if you .cc to yourself you will get a copy to your desktop email.
As for any sound on email reception, you can shut off mail notification.

Welcome to the Forums.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
FirstBB

Ok, maybe I was not completely clear in my first question. I DO NOT use outlook.

What I am mainly concerned with as far as email is this. I have heard that when I use my desktop to read emails they will still appear as unread on my BB and vice versa. Is there some way to not have this happen. I would rather not have to deal with every email twice.

thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Hi,
I have the AT&T Bold and if I went to Verizon, I'd probably try the Storm2 (not released yet) then the Tour. I don't use Yahoo but I've read they integrate well with the BB; I use Google, have a hosted gmail account; it keeps getting better with BB integration.

The contacts and calendar integrate using Google sync, a program (free from google) that runs on the BB. From what I've read in this forum, BIS2.8 and the next version of the handset OS (v5.0) will have contact sync so you'll only need Google sync for calendar.

Using device profiles, you can change the notification on your BB so it doesn't make any noise when you receive an email. Currently (with Google), using BIS (not the enterprise software) email is pushed to the device. If you read the email on your BB, it is marked as read on the desktop. If you delete a message on the device, you can also have it delete from gmail.

That doesn't work the other way, if you read or delete an email from your desktop that was pushed to the device, it won't be marked as read or deleted on the BB.

Google has an email client for the BB that will allow more functionality like searching all your gmail, (not what's just on the device) and allow you to set labels (but this is one way right now too).

More good news is that there was a recent announcement that two way gmail sync is coming soon.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ok, maybe I was not completely clear in my first question. I DO NOT use outlook.

What I am mainly concerned with as far as email is this. I have heard that when I use my desktop to read emails they will still appear as unread on my BB and vice versa. Is there some way to not have this happen. I would rather not have to deal with every email twice.

thanks
The only way I know for sure is to use BES (enterprise integration), but search for Yahoo email integration with the BB. As I mentioned in my prior post, rumor has it that 2-way gmail integration is coming soon. If you really need it, Google has two-way integration with push email for iphone and android phones.

BES would require a more expensive data plan, MS Exchange and BES; you can find hosted Exchange and BES services). If you use a hosted BES, it would give that service the ability to see virtually everything you do with your BB so I'd make sure it was a reputable service.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
FirstBB

am I to understand that for everyone except those with BES through there work or something like that, they have to deal with every email they check on their computer again on their blackberry?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
bdsguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

you can delete from your bb and it'll delete from the server as well. however, if you delete from the computer, that same email won't delete from the phone.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
FirstBB

Wow! That seems like a huge waste of time. Almost a reason to switch servers and get an iphone. Does anyone have an idea when 2way sync will be available on BB?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

2 way sync for gmail is rumoured to be soon.

other than that, no.

also 2 way sync STILL will only work on the server side of things.
any email downloaded into an email client will not be touched when reconciling emails on the BB.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
FirstBB

thanks for the help guys.
midnight- I don't think I follow. Not to savvy on some of the lingo you used. What exactly do you mean?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

When I delete from my Gmail account on the web it does delete from my BB just takes A WHILE. Took over an hour but it did finally do it.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
thanks for the help guys.
midnight- I don't think I follow. Not to savvy on some of the lingo you used. What exactly do you mean?
ERm.....
2 way sync (when available) will only delete messages (for example) on the server of your email provider.

If you use outlook, windows live mail etc, if you have downloaded an email into it, and you have that email on your BB which you delete, the email will still be in outlook.

easier?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

The OP isn't using Outlook, just web access so he'll be fine.

To the OP - if you can't wait for two-way sync, as I mentioned other platforms have what you need now but iphone or Android aren't offered by Verizon. So, you'd have to wait for the BB, go with WM which will also do two-way sync, or switch to AT&T/T-Mobile.

I have a couple WM phones made by HTC (Touch Pro). My opinion, WM is certainly showing its age and HTC hardware is second rate.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

well i said email client originally, which the OP didnt seem to understand...so i said outlook, windows live mail to show what i meant.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #16
FirstBB

thanks everyone I really appreciate the help., and thanks for clarifying midnight
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

no probs

Old 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
sabarrett

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I have a similar situation I am trying to figure out. My wife has a 8330 and uses Windows Live Mail for her desktop client. Her mail comes from SBC/AT&T/Yahoo. I was thinking of changing the mail to imap, so her desktop and her 8330 could be in sync. Will this work?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #19
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Nope.
BIS has no interaction with an email client on a PC.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #20
sabarrett

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I realize that, but if everything is working off the imap server, wouldnt both the blackberry and the desktop client both show the same status?
Closed Thread