BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Faulty Bold OS? Anyone here work for RIM?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I've been pretty vocal about my problems with AT&T in the NYC area. I filed a BBB complaint saying, becasue of the network in the NYC area, I get a considerable amount of dropped calls. AT&T has failed to fix the problem and I should be let out of my contract (all six lines).

The CSR assigned to this is helpful and responded that the AT&T network teams in my area say there is no problem with the network, it is a software issue with the Bold. I disagreed but can't prove it. They offered, since it was a problem with the Bold, to send me a Curve. I declined and said I'd have to have a 3G PDA phone, they let me select whatever I wanted so now I have a Fuze.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet in Manhattan. I couldn't refuse their offer to assist me or my case gets closed and from what I read on other forums I'm not expecting anything except more dropped calls.

So, I'm wondering if any one here that may work for RIM or know if RIM has acknowledged any OS issues with the Bold that causes calls to drop. I've read in other forums that AT&T is telling other users the same when they call to complain.

Last edited by mgerbasio; 08-09-2009 at 05:03 PM..
Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I would say you need to try the Fuze first.
If you get dropped calls, you can prove its the network.
If you don't it MAY be a problem with the Bold.

Threads here have shown that it appears only AT&T get dropped calls on a Bold, and speculate its a problem with AT&T locking down the 3G/2G switch option.
People with .282 OS which unlocks the switch have had improvement in dropped calls when switched to 2G only.

But the OS on the bold works perfectly well everywhere else. i.e. no dropped calls.
So I would say it could be a combination of AT&T network AND what AT&T do to the OS (i.e. the 2G/3G switch lock down).

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't work for RIM, but it seems like monitoring the Fuze's performance in Manhattan may help answer the question, one way or another.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Also keep in mind that there is a lot of tower congestion at certain times of the day due to the high volume of users in the NYC area. Plus the buildings can block your view and the signal from the tower.

Are you getting the drops when you are inside or or outside?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks for the comments.

I explained to them I had to debrand and load a different version of the OS and asked if they wanted me to reload shipping OS; they said no. Yes, EDGE is much better on the Bold. In 3G I get frequent "Call Failed" and "Congestion" messages, much less in 2G. From the AT&T forum, I'm not holding much hope for the Fuze.

Drops are outside. In many of the buildings where I work they've added interior antennas and micro/macro/whatever cells so service is pretty good inside.

I'm been using the Fuze since Friday, will see how it works this week. I like WM, but the hardware is always lacking. Biggest gripe so far, the ear piece volume on the Fuze is really, really low; inside isn't a problem, on a Manhattan street it isn't going to be good. Can't wait to get the Bold back.

Last edited by mgerbasio; 08-09-2009 at 07:45 PM..
Old 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Well I was surprised. In lower Manhattan I usually drop at least one call. Although I wasn't on the phone as long as usual, the Fuze was better. I notice that the phone switches to Edge much earlier than the Bold. It wasn't on Edge much, but as I recall I'd usually see a very low 3G signal with the Bold, like one bar. With the Fuze it tended to switch to EDGE before the signal got that low.

I'll see what happens during the week.
Closed Thread