Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Grainone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Problem with enterprise activation

Please Login to Remove!

I'm having a problem with enterprise activation for one particular user. I have tried different, brand new, straight-out-of-the-box blackberries. Other users activate with no problem. I have also added and removed this one user account from the BES and reset the activation password, all to no avail. The problem happens when I do the enterprise activation. I input the e-mail address and activation password. I click the trackwheel and "activate". The screen displays the e-mail address and hangs there for several minutes. Eventually I get the message that "The server is not responding. Please contact your system administrator". I believe that this is a false message because I have already activated several hundred user's blackberries over the course of two months. Could there be a problem with this user's Exchange account? If so, what do I look for on the exchange server?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
edonin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

When I've run into that issue, more often than not the provider has not set up the user's account correctly. Try contacting the provider and verifying that the account is set for BES and not BIS, having them remove and reinstate the account properly on their side.

The other thing that might work is running a wipe on the new Blackberry and then retrying the activation when it comes back up.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
besnewbee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonin View Post
When I've run into that issue, more often than not the provider has not set up the user's account correctly. Try contacting the provider and verifying that the account is set for BES and not BIS, having them remove and reinstate the account properly on their side.

The other thing that might work is running a wipe on the new Blackberry and then retrying the activation when it comes back up.
I agree I have run in to a similar situation myself, contact the provider. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

You can first verify if the data plan has been set up properly by doing a PIN to PIN message between that device and one that works.

If it fails, then the data is not provisioned correctly. If it works.....then the problem is something else.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Grainone

Service provider? Do you mean the carrier, i.e Sprint?

The device is provisioned properly. I've tried to active this user "Fred" on several different devices and it is just not working. Yet I was able to activate those same devices for other users.

The "Fred's" account was created in the same way as all the other users, by cloning a template account on the exchange server.

The problem seems to be with "Fred's" e-mail account. Besides the BES I have access to the Exchange server so I can make changes to "Fred's" account if necessary.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Here's my checklist for these kinds of activation issues:

1. Check the timezone and make sure it is set correctly.
2. Reboot the handheld
3. Set a *new* activation password and try it again.

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 06-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Is Fred's email account receiving the RIM ETP message in his Inbox, or is it being blocked? To check, remove Fred from the BES and try to activate the BB. It will fail, of course, but the ETP message will get 'stuck' in his Inbox, and you'll know that it's not being blocked by some spam filter or being redirected elsewhere.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Is Fred's email account receiving the RIM ETP message in his Inbox, or is it being blocked? To check, remove Fred from the BES and try to activate the BB. It will fail, of course, but the ETP message will get 'stuck' in his Inbox, and you'll know that it's not being blocked by some spam filter or being redirected elsewhere.
Yeah - A friend called me with a similar issue on his BES yesterday and it ended up being a newly installed Barracuda SPAM Appliance picking off .dat attachments.

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

If it's not something eating the ETP message, have a look in the BES MAGT log. Do you get "Starting handheld for" and "Initialize request" lines for the user? If you do, do any errors shortly afterwards?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
jjdanzig

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T
Cool Same issue here with an 8700

Almost identical situation - Exchange 2003, RIM 4.1, Barracuda - although, I am using the cuda for both inbound and outbound.... and up until a month ago activating users was a snap....

A month ago, I started pumping mail out through the cuda. Now, ask me if the device is working. - It is, I have two separate domains with two different versions of RIM - the activation on the other side was flawless.

I did see the messages getting blocked so I went directly to the cuda box, change/added the RELAY ability as well as added the BB server into the RATE CONTROL allowing little or no flow control since the BB box spews out thousands of emails....

Okay - so Exchange 2003 works great, Barracuda still functions great, BB server IS passing all mail/attachments to ALL pre-activated users...

This one user, was a user a month ago, needed to reactivate his account due to needs.

I deleted his account AND BB information via the BB server.
I recreated his account on BB.
I wiped the handheld.
I pulled the battery on the handheld.
I booted, turned wireless on AND changed the date/time.
I go to activate - it hangs.

Now, I know there's a conversation taking place between the device, Exchange server, the barracuda and our PIX - but what's stopping it...

Open to suggestions - this is not a priority. I can easily reroute outbound smtp directly and it will activate, but this should be an easy enough resolve.

I am posting this very same material on the Barracuda Forums.

Thanks.....
Old 07-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm having the same problem, however, the only firewall on my system is the built-in one on my Dlink DIR-655 router. Definitely nothing on the level of the Barracuda.

This is my first time setting up a BES. I was fairly certain I set up permissions correctly, but now I'm not so sure.

I get the same timeout with wireless activation. I do get the RIM_bca message in the user's inbox and it does have the .dat attachment.

I don't know what the process is at this point, so I'm stuck on where the process could be hanging.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

Flapjack,
If you've just done a BES install you'll have the BES logs in "c:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\" (or somewhere else, if you chose another log location during the installation).

In there will be one folder per day and in each day's folder will be a series of different logfiles. The MAGT (="messaging agent") logfile contains information going between your email system and your BES.

When you activate the user on the BES you should see "Starting handheld for" and "Initialize request" lines for the user in the MAGT logfile. The BES then looks out for the ETP messages from RIM in the user's mailbox and should remove them when it processes them.

Would it be possible to post the section of the MAGT log that occurs immediately after you've activated the user?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
luvmousie

I'm having the same issue. A user informed me that his e-mails were no longer coming in, and I checked everything (wireless, services, etc.). So, I wiped the handheld, had my BES Administrator prep it so that I could run Enterprise Activation, but it just sits there - comes back telling me that the server is not responding. I've already tried several times with wiping it and attempting again.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I got it working. It turns out I needed the phone provisioned for BES through AT&T/Cingular. I had previously called, but they said I didn't have to. When the phone would activate via USB, but not wireless, I got suspicious.

So, without a reboot of server or handheld, mail started coming in from the BES within 5 mins of AT&T provisioning it. Things were working great yesterday. Sending and receiving was quick, I could access all the folders under my mail store (though there was nothing in them).

However, I wake up this morning and there's nothing. I've received several emails since midnight, but none have shown up on my phone. What could the problem be?

@Ugg
Still no logs. I can't find them anywhere. I only have a folder called "Installer", with a single install log inside.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

search for the directory Logs ... its gotta be somewhere else.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #16
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

The last email I received yesterday (9:01pm) was the last one to show on my phone. I've received more than a few emails this morning. They're showing up in via Outlook, IMAP and OWA (remotely), but not on the phone.

If I try to send an email from the BB, I just the the little busy clock icon, and it never moves to the "sent" folder.
Closed Thread