Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Jimmyk001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy Moving to Niagra

Please Login to Remove!

I really wanted the Storm to be work for me. I tried all the recommended settings, etc. I miss the trackball and real keyboard way too much, so I'm 99% sure that I will move over to the VZ "Bold" when its released in a few months. Will probably pay full retail too, that's how much I dislike the Storm. Oh well, I'm sure that some of you absolutely love it, I'm not saying its a bad phone, it just doesn't work for me. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

Jimmyk001,

I am amazed you prefer the trackball over the touchscreen. WOW! I routinely perform upgrades for my wifey on her Curve and that friggin trackball drives me completely NUTS! I navigate the BB menu functions far faster via touch technology. It's axiomatic that one would.

But you have grown fond of a particular manner of navigation.

I will tell you this, from one who routinely goes back and forth between touch and trackball navigation - you will find yourself frustrated with the latter. I am willing to bet on it.

The Bold is a sexy looking phone though. I am glad it's coming to Verizon.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Look in the classified, from time to time you can find a used 8330 at a good price.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

You can probably get refurbished for as low as $150. Check out Dyscern.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyk001 View Post
... so I'm 99% sure that I will move over to the VZ "Bold" when its released in a few months...
"In a few months" ?

Try 9-12 months. Heard about the economy?

And from the beginning this wasn't a device for "BlackBerry power users".

If you thought it was you were misled. If you didn't have a BlackBerry beforehand then you went for the "new new thing" without thinking it out.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
iamajim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Hmmm, I must admit I really do miss the keys and trackball. I had the Pearl before my wife and I did the BOGO thing. She came over from Tmob/Curve.
She loves her Storm but I kinda think I'll go back to something else; course I gotta wait a year and a half before I can upgrade and who knows what Vz will have then. Till then I really am enjoying learning about this phone allthough the editing/cut and paste thing is kicking my butt right now (lol).
Old 03-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
EBlanco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9350

I miss the trackball, but I don't think I could go back.
I really do like this phone, and I love the click screen. Yeah, there are some things wrong with it, like the memory leaks, but in each OS there are problems being fixed or stuff added. So I think it's worth the wait.

- Lizzy in Miami
Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
mikebeau
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZW

I would like a physical keyboard but no way I get rid of the touch screen. My next bb will have both. I'm sure that is what the next gen of bb will have. The track ball is on its way out.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
ozzbug

I was standing in line at 5AM the day the Storm was released. I love it - except that I've struggled with texting since day one. I've tried changing keyboard settings with moderate improvement. I'm hoping OS updates will improve the keyboard. If not, it's going to be the deal breaker for me and I'll be switching to the Niagara when it's available from VZW.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
Jimmyk001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
"In a few months" ?

Try 9-12 months. Heard about the economy?

And from the beginning this wasn't a device for "BlackBerry power users".

If you thought it was you were misled. If you didn't have a BlackBerry beforehand then you went for the "new new thing" without thinking it out.

You are right, I am a power user and I was mislead. I really thought it was more like the iphone, which it clearly isn't. I fell in a trap that I should have been more careful about. My prior upgrades have always worked. Treo to Blackberry 7130e if I remember correctly, then to 8830, then to Storm. I miss the 8830. All is not lost though. I will "downgrade" and give the Storn to my son who will "upgrade" from the Pearl.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Brandon9530storm

Carrier: verizon

stay with the storm it's problems will be sorted out soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon9530storm View Post
stay with the storm it's problems will be sorted out soon.
Guess that depends on your definition of "soon". I mean I wish I could be as positive thinking as you, but here we are what...3.5 months after release date and there's been exactly zero OS updates from Verizon? I'm not so sure.

I wanted this phone to work, but right now...it's not doing the job for me the way I use it. Yes...my own fault for getting it before holding off and reading the reports. But I was in a pinch; I was leaving the next day on vacation and thought to myself "how bad could it be? It's a BlackBerry!". If I only knew then what I knew now...

Honestly, right now I'm strongly considering saying the hell with Verizon and getting the 8900, which is coming to my local wireless carrier (Cincinnati Bell). And I've thought VERY seriously about switching back to my Pearl in the mean time. I'm definitely not going to pay full retail to Verizon for an older model Curve, since I used my upgrade to get the Storm.

I'm very happy a lot of you are happy with your Storms and wish you continued success...but for me, just not getting the job done.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
franknbeans
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vrz

I think the best solution would be a Bold sytle phone with a touch screen to navagate. . . then you will have the real keyboard for typing.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
EBlanco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBlanco View Post
I miss the trackball, but I don't think I could go back.
I really do like this phone, and I love the click screen. Yeah, there are some things wrong with it, like the memory leaks, but in each OS there are problems being fixed or stuff added. So I think it's worth the wait.

- Lizzy in Miami
Wow! So, I had given my Curve to a friend, and last night he was at my house. I picked up the phone and started playing around with it.
I realized how much I really liked my Storm, and definitely could NOT go back to it.
Closed Thread