Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
jincollingo

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Success: Slingbox Mobile on Storm

Please Login to Remove!

I successfully loaded the Slingbox software for the Pearl onto my Storm. I am running on Verizon and have the 9530. The video quality is very good and the software is stable. Since the software is not for the Storm you have to run in compatibility mode which means you only get a small window for TV viewing, not the whole Storm's 480x360 screen. I have been waiting for 3 years for Sling to come out with this software and I am sure they will release a version for the Storm soon, but I just had to test it now!

In order to successfully get this working I had to do the following:
- Upgrade the Storm to the leaked version of .85
- Download the file directly from Slingmedia, using their website autodetects your device and denies you access
- Setup the Slingbox for a Direct Internet connection through my firewall at home

Since I am an IT geek none of this was difficult for me, however, if you aren't tech savvy it may prove to be a challenge. I am not going to list any of the steps because it is all posted out there on other sites with detailed instructions for downloading the leaked OS, backing up your device, upgrading it and restoring the backup along with links to download the jad file directly from Sling and how to configure you Slingbox.

I tried to post a link to more info but my count isn't high enough.

Happy Slinging!

Jer
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
matrix2004
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 304AB5FC
Carrier: Verizon '4G COMING LATE 2009'

Did you try the Curve version to see if it gives you a bigger screen?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
zerog6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: 30547339

I got it up and running too

So far the only version that works is the pearl version. All the other ones including the bold version have errors that won't let it work.

jincollingo: Can you let me know how you changed it to direct connect? There's no option in the software to enter an ip address, it only allows me to use the slingfinder id

Last edited by zerog6; 12-30-2008 at 10:13 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
jincollingo

Model: 8703e

zerog6: Launch the application but don't connect to any devices. Press the Blackberry button to bring up the menu, select Directory. Then, either create a new Sling device or edit your existing one. When I edit my existing device I have the options to use a Finder ID OR IP Addr or Domain name. I do not log onto Sling to before connecting to my box. I absolutely hated the Windows desktop version 2 when it came out because I had so many problems with it always wanting me to log on. I eventually rolled back to 1.5 on my PC.

As I have played with it more on the Storm and it is nearly impossible to see the guide on my Dish because of the small screen. Also, anything below 3 bars seemed to make the video stop, then buffer, then play. So, Sling has their work cut out if they want to get this working on the Storm's bigger screen, which means higher resolution and higher bandwidth. I think the speed on Verizon sucks, even when using their browser or even Opera mini.

Jer
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
zerog6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincollingo View Post
zerog6: Launch the application but don't connect to any devices. Press the Blackberry button to bring up the menu, select Directory. Then, either create a new Sling device or edit your existing one. When I edit my existing device I have the options to use a Finder ID OR IP Addr or Domain name. I do not log onto Sling to before connecting to my box. I absolutely hated the Windows desktop version 2 when it came out because I had so many problems with it always wanting me to log on. I eventually rolled back to 1.5 on my PC.

As I have played with it more on the Storm and it is nearly impossible to see the guide on my Dish because of the small screen. Also, anything below 3 bars seemed to make the video stop, then buffer, then play. So, Sling has their work cut out if they want to get this working on the Storm's bigger screen, which means higher resolution and higher bandwidth. I think the speed on Verizon sucks, even when using their browser or even Opera mini.

Jer
I had tried that, but it doesn't let me do anything. When I go into the directory, the only thing that shows up is "My Slingbox". And when I hit the blackberry button, I can only connect, or view details. When I view details, it shows me the name, finder id, and password, but I can't actually edit it.

I'm gonna remove the app and install it again to see if I it works
Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
zerog6

I got it now, I guess what happens is that it locks those options if you login to your account. So as soon as I logged out I can manually add a slingbox with an IP.

I does have the annoying bug where the feed cuts off randomly after some time though.

Thanks

Last edited by zerog6; 12-31-2008 at 12:32 PM..
Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
lonur1

Model: 8100
Carrier: Sprint

any word on the sling box working on the Storm?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

I successfully installed it (not sure which version - it was a couple of weeks ago).

This is clearly an app running in emulation. Controls suck, and the half-screen is useless. SlingPlayer on Windows Mobile is *far* better.

As a long-time Slingbox owner (Classic and AV), it was very skittish and I kept losing the connection. RIM Canada <> my slingboxes (one in Atlanta, one in New York) was poor.

*THIS* is why the Storm needs WiFi.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
DragonBuster

Default jincollingo, we need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincollingo View Post
I successfully loaded the Slingbox software for the Pearl onto my Storm. I am running on Verizon and have the 9530. The video quality is very good and the software is stable. Since the software is not for the Storm you have to run in compatibility mode which means you only get a small window for TV viewing, not the whole Storm's 480x360 screen. I have been waiting for 3 years for Sling to come out with this software and I am sure they will release a version for the Storm soon, but I just had to test it now!

In order to successfully get this working I had to do the following:
- Upgrade the Storm to the leaked version of .85
- Download the file directly from Slingmedia, using their website autodetects your device and denies you access
- Setup the Slingbox for a Direct Internet connection through my firewall at home

Since I am an IT geek none of this was difficult for me, however, if you aren't tech savvy it may prove to be a challenge. I am not going to list any of the steps because it is all posted out there on other sites with detailed instructions for downloading the leaked OS, backing up your device, upgrading it and restoring the backup along with links to download the jad file directly from Sling and how to configure you Slingbox.

I tried to post a link to more info but my count isn't high enough.

Happy Slinging!

Jer
hey jer,
im currently on a different forum and people are trying to get slingbox on their storm but dont know how.. i want to help them but i dont even have a slingbox therefore i cant.. im sure everyone would appreciate your help if you leave a comment explaining to them on our forum..

phonescoop.com/phones/p_forum.php?ff=1864

if its not too much trouble, THANKS!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
DragonBuster

nevermind Jer, thanks anyways.. just figured it out from crackberry ^^
Closed Thread