Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
vf171
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default First post, first BB - Happy

Please Login to Remove!

Well you guys nearly scared me away when I first got here w/ all the negative posts about the Tour. Like every other forum I am a member of though and as was mentioned by a couple of people in some threads, most people come to the forum when they have issues, not when they are happy.

My wife and I both bought Tours last Friday and we are nothing but pleased with them so far. No speaker problems, no track ball issues. Coverage w/ VZW is great (given our terrain and rural setting).

The only thing I am unhappy about is that I waited so long to get a BB. I always associated them w/ corporate execs and overachievers. These are great tools for keeping in touch and now w/ our kids in all kinds of extracurriculars, our work schedules, and everything else that "comes up" these are great tools for keeping in touch on the run.

I can not believe how much fun I am having w/ a "phone".

Anyway, just wanted to make sure there's at least one positive post about the Tour for anyone on the fence that may come here looking for advice. Do not hesitate, they are worth every penny.

Can't wait till they come out w/ a Tour w/ wi-fi and maybe even a trackpad. As cool as the track ball is it scares me. I design "stuff" for a living and I am a firm believer that the fewer moving parts the better.

Thanks for all the great information so far.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf171 View Post
Well you guys nearly scared me away when I first got here w/ all the negative posts about the Tour. Like every other forum I am a member of though and as was mentioned by a couple of people in some threads, most people come to the forum when they have issues, not when they are happy.

My wife and I both bought Tours last Friday and we are nothing but pleased with them so far. No speaker problems, no track ball issues. Coverage w/ VZW is great (given our terrain and rural setting).

The only thing I am unhappy about is that I waited so long to get a BB. I always associated them w/ corporate execs and overachievers. These are great tools for keeping in touch and now w/ our kids in all kinds of extracurriculars, our work schedules, and everything else that "comes up" these are great tools for keeping in touch on the run.

I can not believe how much fun I am having w/ a "phone".

Anyway, just wanted to make sure there's at least one positive post about the Tour for anyone on the fence that may come here looking for advice. Do not hesitate, they are worth every penny.

Can't wait till they come out w/ a Tour w/ wi-fi and maybe even a trackpad. As cool as the track ball is it scares me. I design "stuff" for a living and I am a firm believer that the fewer moving parts the better.

Thanks for all the great information so far.
Glad to hear the wify enjoys the Tour. Now its time to bless the young ones and continue the BB generation...get them a flip to start them out..

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
vf171

Laugh if you want! My 7 year old is already asking for a cell phone! It won't be long I'm sure but she's just too young. We plan to start her on a tracfone next summer and she how she does w/ the new responsibility. Then.... maybe....

Last edited by vf171; 09-03-2009 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask

Quote:
Laugh if you want! My 7 year old is already asking for a cell phone! It won't be long I'm sure but she's just too young. We plan to start her on a tracfone next summer and she how she does w/ the new responsibility. Then.... maybe....
Awww that's cute...lol...well...once u see she's got the responsibility,...get her on the train quick. Or u can buy her a used pearl,,,,can't go wrong with that.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Just got my 10 year old granddaughter a VZW flip phone recently. I thought about getting a pay-as-you go phone, but after doing a lot of research, I decided to add her to my Verizon plan. VZW has great features for parents and kids. You can limit what hours they use the phone, you can set content filters, block up to 20 numbers, etc. Her phone also allows you to block text messages completely and set it so only people in her contacts can call her. That is a great thing because the day after we got the phone, she started getting calls for 2 people who had the number previously. Even with insurance on her phone, my Verizon bill is actually a few dollars less each month now since changing to a family plan and adding her number. Before getting a Trac fone, I'd suggest doing some research and talking to Verizon.

Glad you like your Tours! I haven't had any problems with mine either.

Last edited by daphne; 09-04-2009 at 01:32 AM..
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

Welcome vf171 to the BB family...even with the glitches with my Tour, I still love my BB. You will love it more and more each day as you realize all the things you can do with it.

I too am looking forward to the BB with wi-fi on VZW. I do wish the Storm had been a more the size of the I-phone and had wi-fi and I would have gotten it but for now it's the Tour!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
angieth08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

I loved reading this thread!

I'm loving my Tour as well, and other than loading Beta software (big mistake), I have no complaints. I'm waiting until December to get my daughter and son BlackBerries as well. My daughter has been using Sprint Samsung phones since she was 12 and my son since he was 7; now they want BB's. She's 20 now, so it's understandable, but he's 12 and I'm still not convinced he requires that much power in a device, but who can deny another person a BB when you love yours so much?

I hope you're still enjoying your Tours until the next best BB CDMA devices come along for your carrier.
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. ~ James 5:16

Last edited by angieth08; 09-04-2009 at 09:13 AM..
Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
daphne

I let my granddaughter play with my old Curve and now she wants a BlackBerry. I told her she has to wait until she can pay the $29.99 per monthy data plan cost.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
bdsguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

I see that you do love your blackberry, and you want your children to experience the same user friendliness that you are, but at 12 years old, I am not sure that the youth would have the needed respect for that type of device. I am not saying that your child is not responsible, I'm just trying to possibly save you a couple hundred dollars with the potential of losing the device or having it stolen after that initial investment to purchase the device.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
OrangeBDS
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Alis2
Carrier: Verizon

This is good to hear, glad people are posting the positives on this device. I'm thinking about going with the Tour for my next upgrade, which won't be for a year probably. By then it should be less hit or miss with them like it seems like right now.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
angieth08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsguru View Post
I see that you do love your blackberry, and you want your children to experience the same user friendliness that you are, but at 12 years old, I am not sure that the youth would have the needed respect for that type of device. I am not saying that your child is not responsible, I'm just trying to possibly save you a couple hundred dollars with the potential of losing the device or having it stolen after that initial investment to purchase the device.
I totally agree! I only wish that there was a device that was comparable but not as expensive to replace. The jury is still out on getting his...

On a side note, I finally went back to OS 4.7.1.40 -best decision I've ever made! I'm swearing off OS Betas from here on. Now I'm super-loving my Tour again!
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. ~ James 5:16
Old 09-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
I always associated them w/ corporate execs and overachievers.
Ouch... You stung me twice in one remark! That hurt a little.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsguru View Post
The insurance is well worth the extra few $$ a month, imo. It gives me peace of mind about my device and and my granddaughter's.

The test for my granddaughter was a $9.99 1 Gb mp3 player. She loves it and has not lost it or broken it. After about 8 months with it, we decided to trust her with a phone, (plus insurance).
Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #14
vf171

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Ouch... You stung me twice in one remark! That hurt a little.
No negative connotations meant. I have just never seen myself as someone who needed to be so "connected". I am beginning to realize how fun it can be though.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #15
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Yep. I had fought for a long time that I didn't need a device that could basically do it all. Now, I'm not sure I could have a device that can't.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Yep. I had fought for a long time that I didn't need a device that could basically do it all. Now, I'm not sure I could have a device that can't.
Once you get addicted to a BB, it's hard to imagine what life was like with just a "cell phone"!! My husband cannot fathom the addiction that my daughter and I have to ours but he doesn't own one. And there's no way to explain it to him! It's so great to be connected to your email and all the other things you have access to on your BB. My daughter's boyfriend is in Iraq serving our country and without her BB she wouldn't be able to stay in touch with him as easily.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
djdonnyk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9850
PIN: 32FDED**
Carrier: Sprint/Now Network

I also am a huge Tour fan, I had the Pearl prior and was concerned about the full keyboard but got used to it and I am getting faster every day!