BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
biffstephens

Model: 7290
Default Discovery 640 and sounds....

Please Login to Remove!

I have read the review and did some searching and did not find mention of this. I just got the 640 and I really like it so far....my question is when I recieve email on it plays a sound...just a beep (I get a lot of email) so I was thinking that when I was wearing the headset and I recieved an email I would hear a beep....no?

I would like to ad that it appears that the headset is working correctly. It does ring in my ear....When I make a call it goes to the headset...all is good except that question....

Thanks in advance for everyones help,

Biff
Old 02-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
mortgageguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffstephens
I have read the review and did some searching and did not find mention of this. I just got the 640 and I really like it so far....my question is when I recieve email on it plays a sound...just a beep (I get a lot of email) so I was thinking that when I was wearing the headset and I recieved an email I would hear a beep....no?

I would like to ad that it appears that the headset is working correctly. It does ring in my ear....When I make a call it goes to the headset...all is good except that question....

Thanks in advance for everyones help,

Biff

Biff - I don't get a beep on my headset when an email arrives
Old 02-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
mortgageguy

Intersting thing today on my Discovery 640. My phone rang with my custom ringtone for a contact and I had not paired up my headset yet. I pressed the top of the headset to pair it up and my custom ringotne began to play through my headset instead of the normal beeps. I wish it would do this all the time but I can't figure it out.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

Mine just does the beeps. I think it has something to do with the version compatibility of my BB 8700 and the 640.

I've noticed that with other BT headsets, I'll get the default beep for an incoming call with the BB but when I pair the same BT headset to, say a Motorola RAZR, I get the ringtone that plays on the RAZR and not the beeps.

The 640's been awesome so far though!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
mortgageguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic
Mine just does the beeps. I think it has something to do with the version compatibility of my BB 8700 and the 640.

I've noticed that with other BT headsets, I'll get the default beep for an incoming call with the BB but when I pair the same BT headset to, say a Motorola RAZR, I get the ringtone that plays on the RAZR and not the beeps.

The 640's been awesome so far though!

I agree - I think the 640 is my favorite. I have had the custom AX2 now for about a week and the voice quality on the receiving end is not as good as the 640.

I modded my 640 case and attached a belt clip to it instead of the pen clip. The only complaint I have with the 640 is that it has no noise cancellation.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
TravelinMan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

I found the 640 to be very noisy in the car at highway speeds. When I tested this headset, I left myself a VM and I could barely hear my voice in the playback. Road and wind noise was drowning it out. This was in a Ford Tuarus rental. I also had to the the ear piece for it to stay on, not a big deal but the ear piiece kept falling off in my pocket pulling the little ear thingy off as well. Royal pain in the butt. Sorry I can't agree with your glowing review as this one was returned.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
mortgageguy

It's definately not perfect but it is one of the best BT headsets out there for the 8700 right now. For me the fit is excellent and its operation is flawless. If Plantronics could just implement some noise cancelling technology into the unit, I would be much happier. There is still no substitute for a wired headset such as the ETY*COM
Old 02-19-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

The Flamingo was my all time favorite until this one. The Flamingo would hurt my ear after wearing it all day. I found that even though the medium piece on the 640 fit, I used the small size piece and can wear the 640 all day without it bothering my ear one bit.

I haven't had any complaints from callers when I drive on the freeway using the 640.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
mortgageguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic
The Flamingo was my all time favorite until this one. The Flamingo would hurt my ear after wearing it all day. I found that even though the medium piece on the 640 fit, I used the small size piece and can wear the 640 all day without it bothering my ear one bit.

I haven't had any complaints from callers when I drive on the freeway using the 640.
I have not had any complaints either. However, my car is very quiet on the inside. I should test it in my truck sometime which has considerably more road noise.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
RickCharles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I have the D640 as well paired with a 8700c. It works great. It is the most comfortable and best sounding headset I have had. I like the inner ear bud for comfort as opposed to the over-the-ear holders. Also the USB charger adapter makes it great for traveling, so I only have to carry the BB charger for both the BB and the headset. The only modification I made was to add a small piece of self-adhesive foam to the inside of the charger so the the headset would fit snugly in it. No worries about it coming out.

I do not get beeps when a message is received. I can recreate the playing of the custom ringtone in the headset like mortgageguy describes, but I think it is a fluke with the device pairing while a call is incoming, not something you can turn on or off.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
mortgageguy

All things considered I think the D640 is the best headset on the market for the 8700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCharles
I have the D640 as well paired with a 8700c. It works great. It is the most comfortable and best sounding headset I have had. I like the inner ear bud for comfort as opposed to the over-the-ear holders. Also the USB charger adapter makes it great for traveling, so I only have to carry the BB charger for both the BB and the headset. The only modification I made was to add a small piece of self-adhesive foam to the inside of the charger so the the headset would fit snugly in it. No worries about it coming out.

I do not get beeps when a message is received. I can recreate the playing of the custom ringtone in the headset like mortgageguy describes, but I think it is a fluke with the device pairing while a call is incoming, not something you can turn on or off.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageguy
All things considered I think the D640 is the best headset on the market for the 8700.

Agreed!

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 02-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 4.6

have you compared the jabra jx-10 to this? I am looking for a new headset and been thinking about the jabra.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
TravelinMan

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCharles
Also the USB charger adapter makes it great for traveling, so I only have to carry the BB charger for both the BB and the headset.
Where did you get a USB adapter? This was one of my reasons for returning because it did not come with this. I like to charge everything from the laptop. Are they now shipping with this or is it an aftermarket adapter.

Thanks,
T
Old 02-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
keithc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

I just got mine yesterday and I already love it. It fits my ear well and is so comfortable I hardly know it's there. I HATE that frigging blinking blue light on my 7100G though.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #16
michaelsvendsen

i love it too
Old 03-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #17
RickCharles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan
Where did you get a USB adapter? This was one of my reasons for returning because it did not come with this. I like to charge everything from the laptop. Are they now shipping with this or is it an aftermarket adapter.

Thanks,
T
It's not an aftermarket adapter. It comes from plantronics, it is just an add-on (about $12). I got mine at blueheadsets.com when I purchased the headset.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #18
mengle

Model: 7130e

Anyone have trouble finding an ear piece that fit comfortably and was snug? I tried the middle one for awhile.......never felt secure. I am now trying the ear loop which was provided.

Anyone else using the ear loop for extra support?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #19
RickCharles
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm sure that it all depends on the shape and size of your ear. I have found the middle piece very snug and secure. I can even wear the smaller piece and feel comfortable that it won't fall out. I do not use the ear loop.
Closed Thread