BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
BFEINZIMER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Durring OS Upgrade does app data save?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok simple question. And yes, I've done lots of searching (PinStack, BBF, Google). Neways, today I did the upgrade of my 8830 OS from the 176 Telus to the 176 VZW. I obviously did not delete the vendor file because this is a VZW BB. So it gets through everything up to the restore device data, the BB takes 5-6 minutes to boot and then it starts the restore. As soon as its finished, it errors with:

"Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.

Application data could not be restored to the device. The backup data file has been saved to "XXXXX\LoaderBackup-(2007-11-20).ipd". You can use the Desktop Manager Backup/Restore tool to restore this information."

I was able to restore the data this way but something I noticed concerns me, and this is the second time it has happened (other time OS downgrade). After I manually restore the data, none of my program options, settings or preferences come back except a few. Examples are my TeleNav settings, GoogleTalk user/pass, browser cookies, Facebook user/pass. So do those types of things usually get set back to default values on a OS downgrade/upgrade or am I experiencing an abnormal fault. If so should I jsut wipe my BB with JLCOMMANDER and then restore data or what? Thanks!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

3rd party app data usually doesn't get backed up/restored. if you were able to restore that backup file then you got everything back. You're fine.

No need to wipe and try again.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #3
BFEINZIMER

Hmm dam fast reply! Top notch! The last time I did a OS downgrade/upgrade the hourglass was on screen for several minutes and I did a hard reset which caused a similar error, where I just restored the data manually. This time I let the BB boot for 5-7 mins, normal I guess after a OS install. But any clues to the error this time around?

Also, my Phone Options are constantly getting corrupted, what gives? Yes, I've cleared them and they just kept getting corrupted, along with the occasional java error while in the phone application. Any insight? This has been happening for months across several OS versions....

Thanks John!!

Last edited by BFEINZIMER; 11-21-2007 at 02:16 AM..
Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I've received that error on occasion. Not sure what causes it. It's best to let it go through it's process as you did. That hourglass will sit for up to 20 minutes at a time. I usually start an upgrade and walk away and come back 45 minutes later to find an upgraded device. However, when it does error like that I've always been able to restore the backup and all is well. When it doesn't end good is if you end up with a 507 on the device and the new OS doesn't load. it's simple to start the apploader and start the OS load again but none of your 3rd party apps will be restored. That's why I now use the 3rd party app backup procedure I've described in this thread. It's saved me hours of work a time or two.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
BFEINZIMER

Hmm one of the many crazy events of our BBs lives! I did see that thread/topic on BBFAQ, and will probably start using it, thanks for the link. BTW, since I edited this question in, not sure if you saw it:

Also, my Phone Options are constantly getting corrupted, what gives? Yes, I've cleared them and they just kept getting corrupted, along with the occasional java error while in the phone application. Any insight? This has been happening for months across several OS versions....
Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

Thanks. I now have backup of all programs. It would be hard to search and find all those apps.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

If I'm nost mistaken, your third-party application data and preferences are stored in the RMS Database, however RIM applications, such as Facebook and Google Talk, are stored elsewhere (I believe the KeyStore). Needless to say, I could be wrong about the latter part