Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
BBHooked

Model: 6230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Default Replace an Old One

Please Login to Remove!

I have an old Blackberry 6230, which is on its last legs. I have T Mobile service, which I find very good while abroad, but pretty mediocre in many places in the US. I am looking for the optimal Blackberry model and service to get decent reception in somewhat remote parts of the US (I was recently in rural Alabama and got no service for days, while others there had no problem) and also easily switch to networks while abroad. I've had very good and easy access to e-mails and calls while in Europe - merely having to conduct a search for the local area network and lock on to it. I understand with some models you have to switch or add simcards, which I'd rather not have to do.

Which model do I want and which service provider?

Thanks.

Last edited by BBHooked; 02-23-2008 at 01:50 AM..
Old 02-23-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
tokumei
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Apple
Carrier: at&t

No one can really make up your mind for you but I'll chime in with my two cents. I've had every company here and I would pick Verizon and the 8830 but I have a feeling that you may be happiest with AT&T. I'd still stay with the 8800 device though.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
whoknows1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

In our office we have two providers, Nextel and Verizon. The Verizon seems to be more reliable for us.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Here in the northern U.S., Verizon has the best network. They get coverage where my T-Mobile service doesn't. I'm a TMo fan because of their customer service, pricing, and the fact that I'm rarely in places where I don't have coverage. I also love the ability with GSM carriers to plug my SIM chip into any handheld and use it. But there are those nooks and crannies in way-way-out-there NJ where Verizon gets a signal and TMo doesn't. I guess you have to weigh European travel (GSM) vs. domestic coverage (VZN).

Last edited by rambo47; 02-23-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Old 02-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

As previously mentioned, only you can make the choice. You need to look at where you use the device - where you live, work, travel and play. Talk to friends, family, coworkers, etc. Look at the coverage maps but don't trust them.

Both Verizon and ATT have the widest coverage areas, followed by Sprint and then T-Mo. Since you didn't say where you live, I'd look at either Verizon or ATT first. They all have holes and gaps in coverage, so you really need to do your homework up front. Then take advantage of the trial periods they offer to really check out the coverage.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
BBHooked

Model: 6230
Carrier: TMobile

I live in the DC area but travel extensively, including abroad (especially Europe). I'm sending and receiving a lot of e-mails and making numerous calls wherever I am. I've previously had Verizon cell service and really like it, but switched to T Mobile when I went BB and needed easy access to messages and calls when abroad, which Verizon didn't have at the time. My device has worked really well when abroad. It's the major national gaps in coverage that have been very frustrating.
Closed Thread