BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)
Exclamation URGENT problem... please help

Please Login to Remove!

first, we upgraded/migrated from one server to another. heres the scenario:

"old" server was win2000, sql2000, BES4.0
"new" server is win2003, sql2005, BES4.1.2

we did an inplace upgrade on the old server to make it BES 4.1.2... all went well. we stopped all BB services, moved the SQL database to the new server, started BB services on the new server... everything works as far as sending and receiving email. however the "BlackBerry MDS Connection Service" will not stay running! if we start it manually, it stops within 10 seconds with no errors in the logs. it just says the service received a stop control and is in the stopped state.

1000+ users cannot access the web via the handheld and BB support, after 2 days have NO idea what to do.

has anyone seent his? im waiting for their escalation team to get back to me but in the meantime our helpdesk is getting hundreds of calls on this.

thank you
Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

The following might be related o your issue. If not it does give you a starting point:

Support - BlackBerry Collaboration Service and BlackBerry MDS Services fail to start after installation
Last Updated: 22 August 2006
Article Number: KB-05008
Summary

This article applies to the following:

* BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software version 4.1
* BlackBerry Collaboration Service
* BlackBerry Mobile Data Systemxxx8482; (BlackBerry MDSxxx8482;) Services
* BlackBerry MDS Connection Service
* IBM® Lotus® Domino®
* Microsoft® Data Engine (MSDE)
* Microsoft Exchange
* Microsoft SQL Server
* Novell® GroupWise®
* SDR82713

Problem

In Microsoft Windows® Services, the BlackBerry Collaboration Service and BlackBerry MDS Connection Service display a Started status. You see one or both of the following errors:

* On BlackBerry devices using BlackBerry Instant Messaging for IBM Lotus Sametime® through the BlackBerry Collaboration Service, you see this error:

Unable to contact server. Please contact your system administrator if the problem persists.
* On BlackBerry devices using the BlackBerry Browser through the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service, you see this error:

Unable to connect to the selected MDS server.

In the <BlackBerry Enterprise_Server_name>.cached.property file, the Database.url line will show that the named instance of the Microsoft SQL Server is not used. The file is found in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\Servers\Instance\config
Cause

You are using an MSDE or SQL Server with a Named Instance as the data source.
Workaround 1

Install BlackBerry MDS Services without using a Named Instance.
Workaround 2

Modify the rimpublic.property file to refer to the SQL Server instance name.

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\Servers\<BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_n ame>\config.
2. Open the rimpublic.property file.
3. Type the following line at the end of the file:

Database.ServerName=<host_name>\\\\<instance_name>

where <host_name> is the domain name for the SQL Server and <instance_name> is the SQL Server instance name.

Important: Database.ServerName is case-sensitive and must be entered as shown above.
4. Save the changes and close the file.
5. Restart BlackBerry MDS Services.
6. Go to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BBIM\Servers\<BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_ name>\config.
7. Open the rimpublic.property file.
8. Type the following line at the end of the file:

Important: Database.ServerName is case-sensitive and must be entered as shown above.
9. Close the file and save the changes.
10. Restart the BlackBerry Collaboration Service.

Resolution

Install BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 1.

Note: After upgrading to BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 1, you will need to remove the following entries (added in Workaround 2) from the rimpublic.property file:

Restart the BlackBerry Collaboration Service and BlackBerry MDS Services.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
jjd228

Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

saw all the KB articles and this one doesnt apply because our SQL installation uses the default instance and not a named instance.

anyone else? this is killing ug
Old 10-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
jjd228

bump...

no one else see this error?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
mcreemer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm not sure if this applies but whenever you move the SQL database to a new box you need to create a blank database first. This ensures that the master table is updated with some stuff it needs. I personally create a blank DB BESMgmt from a BES, then "switch" to BESmgmtTEST. Then copy and overwrite the "BESMgmt" database and switch back.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
jjd228

we installed BES on the new server, thereby creating the empty database. we then detached the existing database, copied the LDF and MDF files, moved them to the new server (overwriting the new ones) and attached the database on the new server.

ps- we did this with a BB support guy on the phone
Old 10-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Did you make the changes to MDSConfig entry in the SQL tables?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
Natrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I had this when we went to SP2. Here's the fix, well what fixed the problem for our servers.

If you open up the Blackberry Manager, your Collaboration Services are listed underneath your servers. So, you should see something like: servername_mds-cs_#. You need to be aware of this number and write it down for each server.

Now, go into the registry and drill down to HKLM-SYSTEM-CONTROLSET001-SERVICES-BLACKBERRY MDS CONNECTION SERVICE. Open up the ImagePath and at the end of the Value Data you'll want to make sure the number as I mentioned above is the same for what the Blackberry Manager shows.

As soon as we changed that and restarted the MDS service everything was good. Hope this helps!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #9
besadmin23

Model: Bold

Please READ. Did you change the default location of any of your logs? If so try resetting them. I will check back with this thread tomorrow and try and give the correct logs. Seems like it was MDS logs or something. Talked with RIM and don't have any idea how they figured it out but as last ditch effort we reset them to standard and it worked. Same prob you are having though where MDS wouldn't stay running. Please let us know.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #10
jjd228

DEV: the change wasnt necessary as the correct value is already there

NATRONE: Im going now to verify that the numbers match

Besadmin23: im not sure what youre saying about the logs. can you please elaborate so i can try what youre suggesting?

its ridiculous that we're a Global Fortune 500 company that pays RIM millions of dollars and we cant get this resolved!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
jjd228

NATRONE...

un-freakin-believably, that worked! although the correct key in the registry is CURRENTCONTROLSET, as the 001 is just a backup of a good registry config, and will be loaded the next time the registry is loaded (which is why it worked for you)

but thank you!
ill go test everything now and get back to everyone.

one thing though, in the bb manager i see 2 servers that dont even exist anymore in our org... how can i purge them completely?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
jjd228

ok... i removed the server that i needed to remove, but theres something else that i cant get rid of... i guess its an old service for the old server? look at the attached screenshot... its highlighted in blue. this maps to a name of a server that no longer exists. how do i get rid of this?

maybe i cant upload pics? if it doesnt work look here:

http://www.sixhouse.net/capture1.Jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture1.Jpg (30.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #13
Natrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have the same thing for our LCS piece. I actually have two services for each server for the LCS. When I talked to RIM about all of this, they gave it to their escalation team and I haven't heard back from them for over a week. Basically it's in the database and somehow it needs to be removed from there. Which RIM told me there is no way I can do it myself. Still waiting to hear back on that.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #14
jjd228

nah... its in the config table. it can be deleted very simply, they just want me to wait til they figure out whether or not it will hurt anything else.

hey side question.... my 7100i just grew a new icon on the desktop. some GPS telenav thing... it just links to a website. how do i get rid of it?!?!?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #15
Natrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah, I love it when the Service Provider does things like this. Every user that has Nextel in our company got this and inquired about getting it. Nice big headache for us. You can either hide the icon on the homescreen or delete the servicebook. The service book is called: Internet d\l Browser TeleNav.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #16
mahal721
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

i'm having the exact same issue, but Natrone's fix didn't work for me. calling RIM now.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
jjd228

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal721
i'm having the exact same issue, but Natrone's fix didn't work for me. calling RIM now.
rim wont help unfortunately. let me know what they say to you
Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #18
mahal721
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228
rim wont help unfortunately. let me know what they say to you
Finished talking to RIM yesterday. I had this same issue when BES 4.1 SP1 was installed. I added the Database.ServerName=<host_name>\\\\<instance_name> line as suggested in Livelink - Redirection. Since BES 4.1 SP2 was installed, the RIM tech said that the fix I had done for SP1 is no longer needed.

Solution: Remove the Database.ServerName=<host_name>\\\\<instance_name> line in the rimpublic.property file. Restarted the BES. Works fine now.

Last edited by mahal721; 10-30-2006 at 05:01 PM..
Old 11-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #19
jleduc

Model: 7780
Default Thanks. That fixed it for us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrone
I had this when we went to SP2. Here's the fix, well what fixed the problem for our servers.

If you open up the Blackberry Manager, your Collaboration Services are listed underneath your servers. So, you should see something like: servername_mds-cs_#. You need to be aware of this number and write it down for each server.

Now, go into the registry and drill down to HKLM-SYSTEM-CONTROLSET001-SERVICES-BLACKBERRY MDS CONNECTION SERVICE. Open up the ImagePath and at the end of the Value Data you'll want to make sure the number as I mentioned above is the same for what the Blackberry Manager shows.

As soon as we changed that and restarted the MDS service everything was good. Hope this helps!
]
Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #20
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mo

RIM provided me with the same resolution like Natrone did.
Works now fine - the service just needed to be restarted twice.
Natrone - That's a million.
Closed Thread