BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:15 PM   #21
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmo

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Hatchy - thanks for the addtl info. What is the registry entry to decrease the polling interval?

thanks,
jeff
Old 12-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #22
Hatchy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Here's the KB article on on the RIM site:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...40216&vernum=1

This article is missing some important points...

It also works for BES 4.0 for Domino (not mentioned in the KB). If you have to create the Registry key (my BES is Domino and didn't have it), create a new DWORD Value. The Value Data (Decimal) is measured in MINUTES. Be carefull when modifying this value, the four hour default was there for a reason. I wouldn't suggest going any lower than 60 minutes.

Once you add/edit the registry entry, you need to restart the BlackBerry Policy Service. Again, the KB article doesn't mention this rather important detail.

To monitor activity, turn up the logging of your BlackBerry Policy Service to debug level 5. Then, simply search this log (look for your application name) to see deployment information (successfull or failure).

Hatchy
Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #23
geekwall

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhut
So you run loader /index and the xml and pkg files are not created?

Did you put the alx and code files in <whatever letter:\>program files\common files\research in motion\shared\applications\Test ?
Yes, I ran the loader /index at the command prompt and it acts as if it is running. I check the common files/research in motion/shared/application/test folder wher the app files are and no new files are written - pkg or xml. Is this a file permissions issue or something else?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #24
geekwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekwall
Yes, I ran the loader /index at the command prompt and it acts as if it is running. I check the common files/research in motion/shared/application/test folder wher the app files are and no new files are written - pkg or xml. Is this a file permissions issue or something else?
Nevermind, the application(s) folder name wasn't correct - missing the s at the end. DOH! Working now.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #25
darryls

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon
Question Add'l requirements??

Hope these aren't totally stupid questions, but
- Does MDS need to be running for this to work? We are currently not running MDS due to internal bandwidth issues
- If I have an administrative policy that says "Disallow 3rd party application download", does that restrict the handheld from getting the pushed app? We have this policy set so that we don't have a support nightmare with everyone installing whatever they want.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #26
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hatchy - the link you posted is dead, and searches on their site don't yield any hits. Do you know the registry name/values?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #27
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talked to RIM, they said:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BlackBerry IT Admin Server

Name: AppProvisioningPollInterval
Description: Sets the interval the IT Admin will rescan the DB for Applications that have are set or required for provisioning
Type: REG_DWORD
Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #28
Khue
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Becareful how you use that poling provisioner. Use it ONLY as a temporary test feature. Depending on your environment a bunch of things could happen like logs growing and a rate that you cannot control or the server taking a continuous dump.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #29
bradmiral85

Model: 7730T

No response so I removed this post

Last edited by bradmiral85; 04-11-2006 at 11:26 AM..
Old 04-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #30
bbgirl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

okay, so i'm following the instructions and am am stuck here...

"The loader application can be found <whatever letter:\>program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe. You will need to run loader.exe from a command prompt. You may want to consider adding this to the environment path to make things easy on yourself but as a BES Admin this is completely up to you. At the command prompt, navigate to that directory on the BES and type the following: loader /index."

Do you run the loader.exe from its native directory? When I run it does nothing, and the files are not created also.

I'm also having problems with the share, my HCT is not accessing the share, I have setup the share correctly, but still have issues.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #31
Khue
Thumbs Must Hurt

When you run loader.exe /index you should simply see a quick drop to the next command prompt line. All loader.exe /index does is create an index file of the packages available for wireless push. Basically it creates a glossary of items for the push service reference when asking you what you want to send. This file usually consists of a .pkg file found with the .cod files and the .alx files in the folder containing the application.

Translation: Visually when run, loader.exe /index appears to do nothing but it infact creates files in the share folder where the programs for push are located.

I am not sure i understand your second question. Can you please elaborate?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #32
Hatchy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Polling Interval

Quote:
Hatchy - the link you posted is dead, and searches on their site don't yield any hits. Do you know the registry name/values?
The KB Article is 04580. I just checked the site again and this Article is no longer on their site.

It basically stated the following...

Description - The BlackBerry Enterprise Server searches periodically for BlackBerry wireless devices that are missing any required applications, accoring to the application polling interval settings. The default polling interval is four hours.

The setting may be changed by creating or modifying the AppProvisionsPollInterval registry key in HKEY_LCOAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BlacikBerry IT Admin Server.

Note: Within a production environment, you should not set this key lower than one hour.

That's all it states. You need to add a DWord value, Decimal, with the value in MINUTES. You then need to restart the "BlackBerry Polling Service"

Regards,
Old 04-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #33
Khue
Thumbs Must Hurt

>_< be careful with that reg hack!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #34
PDA Admin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

Thank you all for your posts. I have been able to successfully push out my first app to the BB. Before I make it widely known I can do this, does anyone know of any preformance degradation on either the BES or the device that I should be aware of?

Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 PM   #35
richever
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Talked to RIM, they said:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\BlackBerry IT Admin Server

Name: AppProvisioningPollInterval
Description: Sets the interval the IT Admin will rescan the DB for Applications that have are set or required for provisioning
Type: REG_DWORD
I'm currently using BES 4.1 and would like to try this; however, the key is either renamed or removed. Anyone have an idea what the name of this key might be in 4.1?

Richard
Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #36
Khue
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll be on Exchange 2003 and BES 4.1 in about a month or so. I can help you out then. Have you attempted to search the registry for AppProvisioningPollInterval yet?

By the way, I had no idea this post would become this juggernaut of a thread. O_O!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #37
Hatchy
Thumbs Must Hurt

So now that everyone knows how to push out an application... how about removing it? Simply removing the software configuration from devices doesn't appear to actually remove the application. Obviously the user can do this themselves, but how about centrally? (the way it was deployed in the first place)

And what if you deployed the application with no app control policy, but wanted to add one AFTER initial deployment? Does it automatically get pushed to the device?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:43 PM   #38
Khue
Thumbs Must Hurt

Removing the application is as easy as selecting the right option out of the policy. Simply change the policy to "Disallowed" poof the application is removed. Furthermore you can prevent applications from being downloaded and installed on devices using this same method.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #39
mrc7928
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have run into an issue where I have a configuration set up, but it wont let me change it from wireline to wireless or set a policy for it. Any suggestions? All 3 of my other programs I have been able to change the option to wireless and add a policy before I send it, but this one only allows wireline. Is this written into the code somewhere? Thanks.

Last edited by mrc7928; 07-14-2006 at 11:12 AM..
Old 07-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #40
kpoland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

This isn't working for me at all. No matter what I've done, I cannot get the BES to see the application I want to push. It seems all the device OS's, but not the 3rd party app. I've tried to copy the .alx and .cod files into the OS directories, no luck. I've also tried to create the Applications directory. Nothing.

When I run the loader /index, it does not create files. Where do I run it from? The BES? Or the machine with the share? And does it matter what directory it's run from? I added it to the path so I can run it easy from anywhere...

Someone help! I have no idea why the /index isn't working...

Thanks

.... After a couple hours... I had the Applications folder one directory too deep...
"Sink or Swim" Educated

Last edited by kpoland; 07-26-2006 at 03:06 PM..
Closed Thread