BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
visabureau
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Need help moving BES database from one SQL2000 server to another (createdb.exe)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there,

Some background:
We have Sharepoint / BES / CRM all using the same SQL 2000 server.
I'm busy moving BES and Sharepoint databases to another SQL 2000 server, leaving me able to do a SQL upgrade to 2005 of just CRM.

Therefore my need to just get the SQL 2000 BES database moved accross to the new SQL 2000 server... The information contained in the How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server or instance is very useful indeed, but there are a few minor questions concerning using createdb.exe that is unclear to me... Whether it is a requirement? / Why one needs to use it? ... I was hoping somebody could fill the gaps allowing me to complete the moving of the the BES SQL database/s?

Using the steps within the Updating the BlackBerry Configuration Database schema section I've managed to run createdb.exe BESMgmt.cfg, which creates the BESMgmt database with some tables, store procedures and other database objects, but why use this executable and not just create the database within Enterprise Manager? What is created exactly by this executable? Security roles?

Additionally, I was wondering about mdss and mdss_dis databases? What are these other two for? Are they essential? I see they exist on the current SQL server.

Then my big frustration currently is that I can set within the BESMgmt.cfg where the MDF is to be located, "DB_FILE_DIR=E:\SQL Data" for data, but not where the LDF is to be located ... E:\SQL Data IS where our MDF file should reside and happens to match also where it resides on our existing server, which is wonderful, but I can't seem to set the log files to where I want it? Our LDF file on our existing server is within F:\SQL Logs, and this is where the new server's default log directory has also been set to, and where I'd like the new LDF file for the new BESMgmt database to reside. Any ideas how to do force this using the BESMgmt.cfg file?

Next, I'm unclear about whether I need to be logged onto the server as the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account when I run this command? Does it matter?

I've set the BESMgmt.cfg file to use SQL authentication with SQL user sa, but what influences the need to use one of Windows / SQL / Mixed authentication methods within the BESMgmt.cfg file when creating the BESMgmt database? Will this affect the working of BES / BES management later?

Lastly, further on in the article, it states Depending on the environment, complete one of the procedures below, meaning use either backup /restore or detach/attach.. How do I know which option is applicable? Can I use any?

Looking forward to someone being able to fill these gaps for me please? It will be much appreciated as I am struggling to put the pieces of this puzzle together and quite urgently need to get BES related database/s moved in order for me to continue to my next task of transferring WSS, and getting SQL upgraded for CRM purposes...

Thank you

Last edited by visabureau; 05-22-2008 at 02:14 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
visabureau

Hmmm... Not entirely sure, but with some more searching on this forum I believe I found the answer to my riddle within another thread: "You can use the createdb.exe tool to create a "blank" BESmgmt database which will update the SQL Server Master database errors table with BlackBerry specific error information. Once you have done this, you can delete the "blank" database and migrate your production db to the SQL server"... I am going to continue my migration hoping this is correct in the meanwhile, but if someone comes along and reads all this wondering whether I might be suffering from a split personality by replying to myself, please can you be so kind and confirm whether my logic is correct?

Last edited by visabureau; 05-22-2008 at 04:53 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

When moving from one SQL Server to another it's always best to:

1. Backup the current DB
2. Create a blank DB on the new SQL with createdb.exe
3. Restore the backedup DB over the blank one
4. Use the BlackBerry Server Configuration utility to point to the new SQL Server

That's it!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
visabureau

Hi there... Thanks a lot... Seems I was getting to make it more complicated than it is... Your steps is more or less what I just attempted, however something seems wrong I was hoping you could perhaps help out with?

I did point 1 and 2, but then deleted the blank DB since it created the SQL LDB log file in the wrong place, and then restored the backed up database onto the new server using the same database name instead of as your point 3 recommends (In other words not over the existing database, but as a new database with the same name). This I did becuase I understood createdb.exe was just to "update the SQL Server Master database errors table with BlackBerry specific error information", and I could therefore thus just restore the new backed up DB... I ran point 4, but now I have the following occurring when installing the database notification system

I followed the following steps:

1. Copy the RimEsp.dll file to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn folder on the new Microsoft SQL Server.
2. In Microsoft Query Analyzer, go to the Database\DBInstallScripts\SQLServer\4.1 folder on the installation media.
3. Open the NotifyInstall.sql file and replace <_databasename> with the name of the BlackBerry Configuration Database.
4. Run the script.
5. Confirm that the Microsoft Query Analyzer displays the following message: Function dbo.xp_RIM_xxxx registered.

But unfortunately it does not... It DID do a whole bunch of stuff, but at the end it said: Cannot resolve collation conflict for equal to operation.

Is this critical in your opinion? BlackBerry Manager shows my Users and shows they've made contact with a recent contact time... I'll send a test email in the meanwhile, but would you be concerned enough about the abovementioned error during running the NotifyInstall.sql script, or do you reckon it is not important?

Last edited by visabureau; 05-22-2008 at 03:30 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
visabureau

Just to confirm, emails are being delivered which I just tested... Was wondering if anybody could let me know whether the Database Notification System (See above) is critical / What it does? Sorry, I am not a BES expert, so it would be appreciated a lot if someone with more knowledge could confirm whether the "Cannot resolve collation conflict for equal to operation." is a problem?
Old 05-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I would say it is for some reason. Why else did they put it there.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
visabureau

Point taken and a good one at that! As a developer though, and unfortunately not that clued up as a network engineer beyond a little bit of AD and Exchange administration, I was just hoping someone knew WHAT the exact role of the Database Notification System might be (or more or less) so that I can determine whether we need to move our BES to point back to the old SQL server perhaps, and rather retry the process of migration again if I made a mistake somewhere during the line (For instance if by having restored the backed up database as a new database after deleting the one created by createdb.exe had been a mistake, and instead it was perhaps a requirement to restore it over the one created by createdb.exe in order for the NotifyInstall.sql query to run without any problems)?

(Even though taking into account email delivery is working currently)

I'd appreciate if someone would give be able to give me their take?

The query result was:

Msg 22001, Level 1, State 22001
RegOpenKeyEx() returned error 2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.'

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(91 row(s) affected)

Server: Msg 446, Level 16, State 9, Line 11
Cannot resolve collation conflict for equal to operation.

Lastly, are the mdss and mdss_dis databases required for operation of BES to RIM and back... I have a gut feeling it is just required to do additional development (which we don't do).

Sorry for the length of this thread, but I'm sure you'd understand I just need to confirm whether it is good to proceed with keeping it as is, or not?

Much oblidged

Last edited by visabureau; 05-22-2008 at 04:52 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I would detach DB and do it right.
If that dont work hope you have a good back up.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

The DB notification system is not needed.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
visabureau

Thank you for the reply!

I reckoned it is not needed, but good to have someone confirm it. What confirms this also is that all functionality worked fine afterwards eventhough I had the mentioned problem during the migration.

I have since upgraded SQL2000 to SQL2005, and after that upgraded to "Blackberry Professional" (Blackberry Manager 4.1.4.15)

Newest development:

You have not happened to have come accross what I am experiencing now currently with deleting email on a handheld device not wanting to synchronise through to exchange / outlook mailbox?

The problem is it should from my understanding delete on the server, but is not!!?

Seems to have started after upgrading to Blackberry Manager 4.1.4.15...

I have tried restarting the BlackBerry Dispatcher since as per another post this might flush out the hard delete cache, but this applies seemingly to new messages only: "Still within the threshold of the cache itself" ... And in my case the messages aren't all new though!

I've found information regarding fixing problems when deleting from a mailbox in exchange / outlook not wanting to synchronise through to a handheld device that can be fixed by enabling the 'Hard Deletes Reconciliation' setting on the BES: Server > Edit Properties > Messaging > Hard Deletes Reconciliation = True ... BUT unfortunately nothing concering my problem where it is not synchronising deletes to the exchange mailbox!?

... It's the case now for all users!

Last edited by visabureau; 09-25-2008 at 07:06 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
visabureau

Emails are deleting in the mailbox once again!

I feel like a retard.

I missed the very obvious: It was a setting on the the device end that allows for synchronisation to occur from the device to the mailbox for deleted items.

It so happened that we recently replaced both of the handhelds that I tested with and where I was experiencing this same problem on, so since this had coincided with the BES Manager upgrade that we applied, I had been looking for the problem on the wrong end!

Last edited by visabureau; 09-25-2008 at 07:09 PM..
Closed Thread