Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
red state ray

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular
Default Error: MDS Services URL Not Found

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings,

I'm having trouble getting MDS to work. Hopefully someone can assist.

I recently installed BES 4.1.3, and in doing so added the MDS Services. The BES is running fine, except I cannot get the MDS to work. I initially had a problem keeping the Tomcat service running, but got that issue resolved. Now, all Blackberry services are running. But, I still cannot get MDS to work.

In the Blackberry Manager, when I open the MDS Service module, it says "There are errors in retrieving data from the server. Please refer to the log for more information." It then says "The service is unavailable" under Applications Installed, Application Registry, Devices Registered, and Monitor Messages.

The MDSS Log says:
[WARN ] (03/15 13:22:36) [ServerStartAction] Admin console | MDS Services URL not found. |
net.rim.wica.ag.services.admin.AdminException: Server setting not found.

In the BB Server Configuration ... Properties, for MDS Services, it says:
Blackberry MDS Services Server URL: https://<My FQDN>:7443/mds
MDS Connection Service Server URL: <My FQDN>:8080

Using a web browser, if I go to https://<My FQDN>:7443/mds, I see:

???en_US.welcome.findServerURLError???

When I press the Continue button, I get the error:
Invalid MDS services URL is entered.

What MDS Services URL isn't configured properly? What should it be, and where should it go ??

- - - - -
RSR
Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

I have the same exact issue. At first I thought MDS was not installed.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

The following are possible causes for this problem:

(1) The default.jks key store does not contain the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the BlackBerry MDS services for the Apache Tomcat™ alias.

(2) The computer running BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2 has more than one hard disk drive and the JKS file was installed on the wrong drive.

RIM actually has a KB article on it, although for 4.1 sp2, but should be applicable to 4.1 sp3 too. Follow the resolutions in it.

Source: KB05539 - Unable to connect to BlackBerry MDS Services using HTTPS
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
red state ray

I read that KB article before I posted. The KB article does not match the errors in my log. Plus, it instructs to use a non-RIM tool, which is unsupported, to fix the problem. Since the errors don't match, I don't want to chase that goose and make the problem worse.

I did submit the problem to RIM using my T1 support, and here was the response. I won't have a chance to implement the fix for a few days, and will post back regarding the success of the solution.

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. The case refers to the issue where we are unable to access BlackBerry MDS Services from the BlackBerry Manager.

Please use the following steps to re-install the BlackBerry MDS Services:

1) Open a DOS Prompt.
2) Type OSQL -E
3) Proceed to type the following:

1> drop database MDSS
2> go
1> drop database MDSS_DIS
2> go
1> quit

This will delete the BlackBerry MDS Service databases and allow us to re-install the service.

4) Please download the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.3 full installation from our FTP site:

irt:3mb1GG3ns@ftp2.rim.net/BESD_4.1%20SP3/

Download and the use the NBES_4.1.3.exe file.

5) Quit Domino and set service to start manually.
6) Back up BES folder under Domino Data directory.
7) Back up BlackBerry Configuration database (BESMGMT) with the following article:

ww w.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10 292&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=2451491&stateId=0% 200%202445684BlackBerry Search Results

8) Ensure the Window Services are closed.
9) Run the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.3 installation.
10) Once the installation completes, click Finish to start the server.
11) Now, set Domino to start automatically (if so configured).

Old 03-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Mlwii
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by red state ray
I read that KB article before I posted. The KB article does not match the errors in my log. Plus, it instructs to use a non-RIM tool, which is unsupported, to fix the problem. Since the errors don't match, I don't want to chase that goose and make the problem worse.

I did submit the problem to RIM using my T1 support, and here was the response. I won't have a chance to implement the fix for a few days, and will post back regarding the success of the solution.

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. The case refers to the issue where we are unable to access BlackBerry MDS Services from the BlackBerry Manager.

Please use the following steps to re-install the BlackBerry MDS Services:

1) Open a DOS Prompt.
2) Type OSQL -E

1> drop database MDSS
2> go
2> go
1> quit

This will delete the BlackBerry MDS Service databases and allow us to re-install the service.

4) Please download the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.3 full installation from our FTP site:

irt:3mb1GG3ns@ftp2.rim.net/BESD_4.1%20SP3/

Download and the use the NBES_4.1.3.exe file.

5) Quit Domino and set service to start manually.
6) Back up BES folder under Domino Data directory.
7) Back up BlackBerry Configuration database (BESMGMT) with the following article:

ww w.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10 292&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=2451491&stateId=0% 200%202445684BlackBerry Search Results

8) Ensure the Window Services are closed.
9) Run the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.3 installation.
10) Once the installation completes, click Finish to start the server.
11) Now, set Domino to start automatically (if so configured).

We're also experiencing this problem. I previously worked with a tech at RIM and I went through all of the steps in KB05539. I was able to use the keytool to delete the certificate and create a new one without any problem. But, that did not solve the MDS issue. We basically decided to ignore it for now since it's not affecting anyone, but we will come back to it at some point. If you go through with reinstalling MDS, please let us know if it fixes the problems for you.

Last edited by Mlwii; 04-10-2007 at 08:17 AM..
Old 03-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
red state ray

The 11-step process for reinstalling the Blackberry Enterprise Server did not solve the problem with starting MDS. I have responded to RIM support and am awaiting further guidance.

I'll post with the resolution, whenever it arrives.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
long

Model: 8700G
Default Have you hear back from RIM?

Any update on this issue? We have the same issue on our BES.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
red state ray

My issue is still not resolved, but we made progress. (I think.)

Review that Knowledge Base article that's in the 3rd post. I disregarded it at first because it says "JKS file was installed on the wrong drive."

I accepted the defaults when I installed the BES, thus the JKS file shouldn't be on the wrong drive. However, it turns out that there is a bug in the BES installer. If you install the BES onto any drive other than the C drive, then the JKS is installed incorrectly. It's a hard-coded bug in the BES installer.

My current problem is that I don't have any JKS files anywhere. (Not even on the 'wrong' drive.) Thus, the KB article doesn't solve my problem.

The RIM folks have told me to uninstall all versions of Java except JRE 1.5_09. Perhaps one of those older versions also prevented the installation of the default.jks file.

After I do that, I'm not sure what RIM will say in regards to getting the default.jks file. I'm assuming they're going to patch the BES installer and have me reinstall.

I will post with further progress as it occurs.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
long

Default jks file

If you look at the

It states that the default.jks have been replaced by server.truststore version 4.1.3.

As for the hard coded JKS directory in the BES installer, did RIM mention a way to repoint it to the correct directory?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

long is correct. BES4.1.2 uses default.jks and for BES4.1.3, it changed to server.truststore.

On your question on repointing to correct directory, the cause and resolution is in the KB article too, see below:-

Cause 2
If the computer running BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2 has more than one hard drive, and you install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server on a hard drive other than the default, the setup program installs a JKS file needed by the BlackBerry MDS services to accept SSL certificates in the default drive.

Workaround
  1. Search for the default.jks (server.truststore) file in the default drive (for example, C:\) of the computer where you installed the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
  2. Copy and paste the file into the following directory:
<hard_drive>:\<installation_directory>\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDSS\config\security
Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #11
long

Default Finally fixed!!!

Here is the step:

1) Open a DOS Prompt.
2) Type OSQL -E

1> drop database MDSS
2> go
2> go
1> quit

4) Delete the mdss directory under

<hard_drive>:\<installation_directory>\BlackBerr y Enterprise Server

If you cannot delete this directory, there is a script to uninstall the Apache Service. Run this script and try to delete the directory.

5) Uninstall previous version of JRE including version 1.5_09. Make sure you don't have any other application using any of these version of JRE currently.

6) Put all Blackberry services and Domino Server service on manual start and reboot the server.

7) Run the BES 4.1.3 installation. Start the service at the end of the installation.

8) Stop the mail server and install 4.1.3 hf1.

9) Put all the Blackberry services and Domino mail service back to Automatic start and reboot the server.

10) Test out the MDS connection in the Blackberry Manager.

I hope this help.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
red state ray

Default Yes !! Solved !!!

The instructions in Long's post worked for me.

I could uninstall all prior versions of JRE except version 1.5_09 because I have another Domino App using it ... but the instructions still worked.

It's rather aggravating that RIM rewrote that KB article in the midst of my difficulties, and that the resolution was provided by this forum before RIM support. (I'd still be waiting on RIM. Glad to know my annual support $$$ are paying off.)

Long ... thank you !!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
long

You Welcome, I'm still deciding whether I need the annual support.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
goresci
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by long View Post
Here is the step:

1) Open a DOS Prompt.
2) Type OSQL -E

1> drop database MDSS
2> go
2> go
1> quit

4) Delete the mdss directory under

<hard_drive>:\<installation_directory>\BlackBerr y Enterprise Server

If you cannot delete this directory, there is a script to uninstall the Apache Service. Run this script and try to delete the directory.

5) Uninstall previous version of JRE including version 1.5_09. Make sure you don't have any other application using any of these version of JRE currently.

6) Put all Blackberry services and Domino Server service on manual start and reboot the server.

7) Run the BES 4.1.3 installation. Start the service at the end of the installation.

8) Stop the mail server and install 4.1.3 hf1.

9) Put all the Blackberry services and Domino mail service back to Automatic start and reboot the server.

10) Test out the MDS connection in the Blackberry Manager.

I hope this help.
any pointers on the location of the script to remove apache, having issues removing mdss directory
GroupWise
Closed Thread