BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #21
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I agree that it is quite possibly the windows installer. I posted the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175/en-us from Microsoft Support early in this thread. That didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for you. I also tried to install a different application that using MSI, and it worked fine.

By the way, I already installed and got past this issue. I just double-clicked the setup file a thousand times. I'm still interested in finding out what the issue is since the client that had this issue is still a client and I will one day need to do something with BES on that server.

Bradley
Old 07-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #22
rprice

Model: 7290

Well I've managed to get it installed. I'm using a Windows Server 2003 image (under virtual server R2). I disabled as many services as I could.

It is very odd. Over two days of trying with 2003 Server it would magically start working (the install dialog coming up rather than crashing) late in the afternoon after 5pm local time. Yes very odd.

However I got caught at the second stage where you have to reboot and run setup.exe again - it wouldn't work. I had already turned as many services off as I could. I then tried disabling the network interface and the installer magically worked!!

It has taken me days to get this far, I've tried Windows 2003, Windows 2000 and XP images - I eventually gave up with 2000 & XP I'd updated the Windows Installers. I seemed to be able to get furthest with 2003 Server and then it just started working!

There is something very wrong with the BES installer.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #23
nkew

Model: 8700

Great advice everyone.

I have been battling with this problem for a while and still haven't been able to figure out what's causing it.

I got round it by double clicking Setup.exe, then double clicking again immediately afterwards (almost instantly) - worked every time.

Let me know how you all get on.

Nick
Old 07-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #24
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

I was on the phone with RIM about this issue, and they said that if you have a NIC with two IP Addresses on it, it could cause the problem... It fixed it for me on my test server.

Hope this helps...

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator
Old 07-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #25
nkew

Spot on.

Totally worked for me.

Thanks!!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #26
sddroog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashworth
I was on the phone with RIM about this issue, and they said that if you have a NIC with two IP Addresses on it, it could cause the problem...
Yes! After I disabled my second IP adres on the NIC I could start setup.exe multiple times without any errors! Oke, 4.1 was running for quite some time already but I sure wish I knew this simple workaround at the time of installation. That would have saved me a lot of frustration.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:27 AM   #27
wuesten_fuchs

Carrier: Vodafone DE

The reason for this problem is a bug in BES 4.1 setup.exe which crashes if any NIC in the server has more than one IP address. I also ran into this and RIM support tracked it down with me. The bug is documented in SDR95096 (created July/6/2006) but not yet resolved in SP1.

The workaround is to remove the extra IPs before running the upgrade/setup and to add them again after you are through.

Last edited by wuesten_fuchs; 09-28-2006 at 07:29 AM..
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #28
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

We are experiencing this same issue on our Domino BES 4.03. We're trying to upgrade to 4.1sp1.

We don't have two IPs on one NIC; we have two NICs. Our BES has a 'production' NIC that is active, and a 'backup' NIC. We've also noticed that our system shows the PPP interface with a 192.168.x.x address, likely for the Dell "RAC" card in the server.

We've disabled the the 'backup' NIC but that didn't help.

We got the 4.1sp1 full installer from RIM and it behaves the same way -- double-click setup.exe and nothing happens. We get a log file in \program files\research in motion\blackberry enterprise server\logs\installer each time we launch setup.exe, but it has no useful information. Sometimes it shows a bunch of environment variables (as noted by others above) and other times it shows only a couple of 'health monitor' lines.

We pointed RIM to SDR95096, but they didn't have much more to say. This SDR is fixed in 4.1sp2, but that installer's setup.exe behaves the same way on our server as 4.1 and 4.1sp1.

On another Domino server with the same hardware config we are able to run the setup.exe without any issues....

Double-clicking rapidly hasn't netted us more than a lot of log files.... Has anyone solved this issue in a dual-NIC system? We're working through the Microsoft "Windows Installer issues" KB article steps at this point.

Last edited by pej; 10-10-2006 at 09:41 AM..
Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #29
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

I basically killed all applications that were running, stopped many unneeded services and then double-clicked like crazy until it ran ... Send the logs to RIM and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pej
We are experiencing this same issue on our Domino BES 4.03. We're trying to upgrade to 4.1sp1.

We don't have two IPs on one NIC; we have two NICs. Our BES has a 'production' NIC that is active, and a 'backup' NIC. We've also noticed that our system shows the PPP interface with a 192.168.x.x address, likely for the Dell "RAC" card in the server.

We've disabled the the 'backup' NIC but that didn't help.

We got the 4.1sp1 full installer from RIM and it behaves the same way -- double-click setup.exe and nothing happens. We get a log file in \program files\research in motion\blackberry enterprise server\logs\installer each time we launch setup.exe, but it has no useful information. Sometimes it shows a bunch of environment variables (as noted by others above) and other times it shows only a couple of 'health monitor' lines.

We pointed RIM to SDR95096, but they didn't have much more to say. This SDR is fixed in 4.1sp2, but that installer's setup.exe behaves the same way on our server as 4.1 and 4.1sp1.

On another Domino server with the same hardware config we are able to run the setup.exe without any issues....

Double-clicking rapidly hasn't netted us more than a lot of log files.... Has anyone solved this issue in a dual-NIC system? We're working through the Microsoft "Windows Installer issues" KB article steps at this point.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #30
chrous29
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

I have ben using the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.msi file and it worked every time to install it.

I am having problemes with the MSDE database were I can't log in to it to start the manager after an install/update.

Help.

Last edited by chrous29; 10-10-2006 at 01:56 PM..
Old 10-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #31
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Support suggested adding the Notes data directory to the beginning of the PATH variable. I.e. c:\lotus\domino\data.
Our Notes application directory was already in the PATH.

This allowed setup.exe to run.

Interestingly when we removed this addition to the PATH variable, the setup.exe application still ran.

We'll try again in our next outage window....
Closed Thread