BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
syoulden
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230
Default Problem with BES connecting to SQL server

Please Login to Remove!

I am setting up a 2nd BES 4.0 server which will connect via SQL to an existing BES config db on a separate SQL server. After setting up the server and configuring, I can connect fine from the Blackberry Server Configuration to the existing SQL database. I have also followed the instructions in the Install manual that talks about adding the username and password for the SQL account login to the Default section in the registry. In addition, I have gone in on the ODBC section and done the same and was able to connect fine from there. When I start the BES, the error that comes up is:
"Unable to open BESMgmt database [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user '[null]". Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.[SQLState 28000]
[ODBCDataabaseConnect]Unable to connect to bESMgmt on machine MOXBE5.

The SQL server is set to authenticate using SQL credentials, so that eliminates a Windows login being the issue. All ODBC settings from the new server are set to use SQL authentication. Somewhere it is not picking up the username to use to connect. Any help would be appreciated, as this is a test server and our RIM support contract doesn't cover support for test servers. I need to nail this down in order to document how to install a new BES server in our environment. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: at&t/T-Mobile/Verizon

is this BES Domino or BES Exchange? We had this problem with BES Domino and in one of the read me's it says there's a bug where you have to hard code something in the registry for it to connect.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Is you SQL Server set up for Mixed Authentication?
Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
FlemmingRiis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TDC

If its domino you have to add username/password to the registry manually because its trying to use the computeraccount to login with (due to local system).

As a little side point

what the .... are RIM thinking when they require a high elevated sql account to be typed in clear text in the registry

<shake head>
Old 08-22-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
syoulden

Default Answers to questions

Yes, this is a Domino server. I'm running 6.5.4 on it. As far as Mixed Authentication, it shouldn't come into play, as we are using SQL Authentication to the SQL server. My understanding is that this is only an issue if you are using Windows credentials to authenticate to the SQL server. As to the comment on the readme, do you know what registry entry must be changed (or added). I did add an entry for the username and password in the .Default section as indicated in the install manual.

I am just amazed that there is this much tinkering under the hood for the installation that, in my mind, should take care of it all. Is it just me or are the RIM installs just not ready for prime time? Thanks all for the responses.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
syoulden

Default Problem solved

I was able to get things going once I got the correct registry key set up. I do find it amazing that they key has to be set manually, though. Particularly one so important that the BES server will not even start up without it.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
tickler

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Angry Help

So can someone confirm what the registry keys are?

I've seen the other post listing them but that path doesn't exisit on my server. The RIM keys are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Database

I added the Login and Password Values under the Database key here but I still get the

Unable to open BESMgmt database: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed ###########'.[SqlState 28000][ODBCDatabase::Connect]Unable to connect to BESMgmt on machine ######
Old 11-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickler
So can someone confirm what the registry keys are?

I've seen the other post listing them but that path doesn't exisit on my server. The RIM keys are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Database

I added the Login and Password Values under the Database key here but I still get the

Unable to open BESMgmt database: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed ###########'.[SqlState 28000][ODBCDatabase::Connect]Unable to connect to BESMgmt on machine ######
That's the wrong location. It belongs in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Database

This is not a pre-existing key. You have to create it.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
tickler

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Talking Working

I've got this working now and I left the keys where they were in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Database

The problem was with the LocalSystem account that Lotus Domino Server service starts with.

See this KB article KB-03543 at the BlackBerry Technical Knowledge Center

Only problem is that you can't have the service interact with the desktop when you change the account that the service starts with so you don't get a console when the server starts. I've got around this by using a Java Console.

Add -jc to the end of the cmd line for the service, you have to do this via registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\L otus Domino Server (LotusDominoData)

Add -jc to the end of the ImagePath value

You then run the jconsole.exe to see it

Hope this helps anyone.

Last edited by tickler; 11-08-2005 at 05:44 PM..
Old 11-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #10
mooretj

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default Windows 2000 vs. 2003

I initially installed BES v4.0 and Lotus Domino 6.5.4 on a Windows 2003 server and connected it to a SQL server running on a separate Windows 2000 server. Lotus Domino ran as a service using the Local System account. All was fine running this way. I simply added DOMAIN\<computer>$ to the SQL database to use NT Authenication. Not too long ago, our DB Admins moved the SQL server to a Windows 2003 Server. At that point my BES v4.0 server could no longer connect to it. I grudgingly changed the Lotus Domino Server Service to run as a domain account and things started to work. To me this points to a problem with SQL and Windows.

Why would it work the preferred way with SQL on Windows 2000 but not Windows 2003?
Closed Thread