PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority
Default How to: Sync BB if you use Linux / Unix

Please Login to Remove!

Excellent walk through courtesy of Rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
(decloaking)

Don't forget you can also use SyncML and a free online service. It'll cost your $30 USD for the SyncML plug-in for your BB (*sigh* thanks, RIM) from Nexthaus

Nexthaus client
Nexthaus Corporation

To get this all working without spending one penny, do this:

1) On the PC/Mac, go to http://www.mobical.net/ and create yourself a login account. This is a free online SyncML service (based in Sweden) that has an *awesome* webUI for managing your contacts, calendar and tasks. You can also import/export data freely with their UI, it's very well done. They get an A+ in my book.

PS: don't send any settings to your device during setup, just make some random choices to get your account created. We'll do the actual setup from the Nexthause client.

2) Install the trial/demo Nexthaus client via OTA, you get 15 days to play with it before deciding if you want to purchase it. The company even called me when I had a problem and got me sorted out (had to do with purchasing online and Firefox support) right away.

3) Start the Nexthaus client ("SyncJe Client" on your BB menu). Pull up the menu and choose Settings. Put in http : // www . mobical . net/sync/server as the Server, and your login/pass from #1 above. (this forum keeps parsing that URL as a link, adding spaces to try and get it showing up here)

Here's where it gets slick and why I love this client -- click the menu button again, and choose "Get Folders" -- it should query Mobical and then fill in all the blanks with the rest of the settings (SyncBerry can't do this). In case this fails for you, here's the settings:

Contacts: con
Calendar: cal
ToDo: task

Click menu -> Save then to get back to the main screen.

4) Click menu -> Start Sync, and sit back! The first time you do this is takes forever and a day, it's reconciling and in your case uploading all your contacts/calendar to the server.

The rest is common sense, you can set it to autosync, whatever -- push the buttons and play around. Log back into Mobical webUI and you'll see all your info to work with; you can download vCards, upload iCals, whatever!

Here's one thing I did with it:
the SJ Sharks hockey schedule on your phone « rivviepop phantom

Alas, the SyncBerry client has no demo -- it's setup is basically the same, but more confusing (imho) than the Nexthaus. I also don't like the fact you can't Quit the SyncBerry client, it's always running in memory; the Nexthaus client allows a full quit, which is what I want -- I only sync once a week or so and on-demand.

Last edited by LunkHead; 12-07-2007 at 04:16 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #2
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

wooo! go go gadget syncml.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

Nexthaus™ is teh win! Followed the instructions and Voila! Perfect sync.

Goodbye PocketMac™

Thanks to rivvie for directions and LH for reposting
Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
jddphd

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR

So wait a second - let me get this straight.

If I buy the Nexthaus plug-in for Outlook and set up mobical, I can wirelessly (and automagically!) sync to mobical, which I can then sync wirelessly (and automagically again!) to my BB using the BB plugin, right?

I'm asking because we're not a BES shop, and this would be a great thing as I have a couple of calendars that I'd like to manage.

cheers rivviepop.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddphd
If I buy the Nexthaus plug-in for Outlook and set up mobical, I can wirelessly (and automagically!) sync to mobical, which I can then sync wirelessly (and automagically again!) to my BB using the BB plugin, right?
While I cannot vouch for the Outlook plugin, I have confidence that if Nexthaus says it'll work - it'll work. But in general what you're saying is entirely correct; my only concern would be using Mobical for a company -- as a free provider they might disappear any day. I use it on a personal level, so it's acceptable to me if they suddenly fall off the grid -- there are other options open to me. (*)

You may wish to investigate running your *own* SyncML server in the office to have completel control of your business environment. Just start by searching Google for "SyncML Server" and you get ... 912,000 hits.

(*) I'm not saying they will, I like Mobical a lot and in email exchanges they've always been great. But, one must always be prepared for the worst.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
rivviepop

(deleted double post, BBF was having issues for a moment it seems.)

Last edited by rivviepop; 02-20-2007 at 03:46 PM..
Old 02-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850

Yes Mobical rocks! I had a password issue and for it being a free service, they responded faster than other places that I pay to use...... They ROCK!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Chinasaur

Rivvie or LH,

Either of you know how to comletely ERASE the contents of the default calendar on Mobical? I've got some weird dupes and odd behaviour going on, and I can't find anything on Mobical's site covering Nuke 'n Pave operations on the Calendar.

Thanks in advance either way.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
jddphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
While I cannot vouch for the Outlook plugin, I have confidence that if Nexthaus says it'll work - it'll work. But in general what you're saying is entirely correct; my only concern would be using Mobical for a company -- as a free provider they might disappear any day. I use it on a personal level, so it's acceptable to me if they suddenly fall off the grid -- there are other options open to me. (*)

You may wish to investigate running your *own* SyncML server in the office to have completel control of your business environment. Just start by searching Google for "SyncML Server" and you get ... 912,000 hits.

(*) I'm not saying they will, I like Mobical a lot and in email exchanges they've always been great. But, one must always be prepared for the worst.
It wouldn't be for business, and I had the same thought when I read about them (the "wonder how long they'll be around" thought), and then I started wondering about my own server too -- but then I realized I actually might need to do something at work today so I had to put it down.

Thanks rivviepop.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasaur
Rivvie or LH,

Either of you know how to comletely ERASE the contents of the default calendar on Mobical? I've got some weird dupes and odd behaviour going on, and I can't find anything on Mobical's site covering Nuke 'n Pave operations on the Calendar.

Thanks in advance either way.
What duplication errors are you getting??? Complete calender??? Or just certain entries???

Last edited by LunkHead; 02-20-2007 at 10:02 PM..
Old 02-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasaur
I went to Support, Forums and typed in "delete all calendar items" and it found the thread.

== snip ==

Martin Källström
Europe/Minsk Re: Reset Calendar
go to calendar view and click to you view them in a long list. then click the select all button and then delete.

== snip ==

I just looked, and what he means is "My Appointments" on the right hand side where you normally have it on day/week/month. I never knew that was there myself.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
rivviepop

Quote:
It wouldn't be for business, and I had the same thought when I read about them (the "wonder how long they'll be around" thought)
The cool thing about Mobical is that you can do a full export in a variety of formats that can easily be imported to something else (I exported my calendar and imported to Google Cal, for instance). So, you're not locked into their website or any proprietary junk! Score +1 Swedish coder nerds.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:44 AM   #13
Chinasaur

Their search is odd. I used "erase entire calendar" and "erase calendar" and received nothing.

Anyway, Mark also replied with this..same thing you found. Amazing support for a free service!

==========

From Martin at Mobical.....

Go to calendar view, to the right you can choose select view.

Mark my appointments, and in the grey field above Show per page, select all.

Then click on the select all button just above the first appointments check box.

After that just select delete selected.

When a database on mobical.net is empty a slowsync will happen. that means everything on phone will get back to the web. If you don't want that to happen delete every appointment but one.

Regards
Martin
==========

As for dupes and missing entries..it's weirdly random. One recurring daily item during the week only occurred on tuesday. And I lost my Thursday morning Meeting. And my Bi=weekly tuesday meeting also duped on the 2nd Wednesday... :head scratch:

Later- I deleted all and slow synced and it's all good now. Looks like a few of my long running Tuesday events had end dates in 2008 on a Wednesday. All my fault..Mobical just couldn't digest it

I'm pretty sure these guys are getting my money. The contact sync alone is worth the money for me as a mobile Mac/BIS user

Last edited by Chinasaur; 02-21-2007 at 08:27 AM..
Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
jddphd

So I did some looking around and found funambol too. They have something called Sync4j, while Nexthaus has Sync4je. Nexthaus costs money. Funambol is free.

Anyone tried both?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
rivviepop

Quote:
So I did some looking around and found funambol too. They have something called Sync4j, while Nexthaus has Sync4je. Nexthaus costs money. Funambol is free.

Anyone tried both?
Yes. Funambol has not adhered to the SyncML spec, and their client doesn't work with standard (Mobical, e.g.) servers. It will work, of course, with the Sync4j server that they also produce. I have read that Sync4j also works with Scheduleword (a service like Mobical) but I have not tried that setup myself.

There is also SyncBerry (see the first post) that costs the same amount as SyncJe ($30 USD); I've tried both and like the Nexthaus client better, which I outlined above. You may like the SyncBerry client though, it's a personal preference. ;)
Old 02-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
Percept

Model: 8100

Can I (with reasonable effort) set up my own SyncML server, to avoid trusting external services with my PIM data?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percept
Can I (with reasonable effort) set up my own SyncML server, to avoid trusting external services with my PIM data?
I think you can -- I started to research it, but it seems 99% of the ones available (free and commercial) are java based; I have no interest in running a Java server engine on my hardware. Purely a personal decision on my part, I won't go into it.

I think the more direct answer to your question would be... how much do you want to pay for a commercial working system that you just install and it works versus how much time do you want to spend working with an open source system that will require more effort.

SyncML is a spec that runs on top of the standard protocols, so really it's about finding the middleware 'meat' to do the job.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #18
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

This might need a! sticky.... Mods????? Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #19
rivviepop

A new SyncJe 2.10 has been released; unfortunately they renamed an internal module, so if you try a direct upgrade you'll get a strage popup warning; you should uninstall 2.09 first, let the device reboot and install 2.10 if you want everything to be clean. All my settings (including reg info, logs, etc.) were retained during the process -- a test sync after the upgrade took 3 seconds and was in the clear.

I asked Support today about adding Memo sync (as Mobical and other phones support this), and they indicated they tried to get it in 2.10 but it didn't happen; it should be in the next release! (and there was much rejoicing)
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #20
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Ya same here rivviepop..... They ROCK!