BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
ncage1974

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Google Voice App on BB (verizon) ?

Please Login to Remove!

Guys / Gals just got my blackberry tour today and am loving it. One of the first things i did was to download the google voice app and i'm trying to figure it all out and have some questions for you (i'm sure a lot of use use it):

1) When you call out with google voice does it use your voice minutes?
I know when you use the google voice website (not the app) to call someone. It will actually call you first and then dial the number asked google voice to call. The app works differently. It immediately dials the number.

2) I notice when i receive when i receive a SMS through my google voice number it will actually put the SMS message in my blackberry SMS app. Whats wierd is i have to refresh the google voice app i have running in the background manually but i don't for the blackberry sms app...which is wierd. I don't know how this routing is working...but every time i receive a sms through google voice am i being charged a SMS through verizon...i'm almost sure i'm not being charged to send though.

3) Google voice has this cool feature that when it transcribes your voice mails it will also send a SMS text of the transcription to your cell. Again i don't know how to routing is working. Am i being charged a SMS fee through verizon?

4) Do all the active phones ring when someone calls you. I can't test this out now ;). What would be ideal if it could ring my home number so many times and then if no one answers try my cell.....and if no one answers then voice mail would pick up. Is this possible?

thanks,
Ncage
Old 08-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Have you checked out the Google Voice thread in the Aftermarket Software forum?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I tried the Google Voice App. Little too much of a memory hog, so I deleted it.

As near as I could tell, it does use minutes and any sms are regular sms.

All the phones can ring at the same time if it is set up that way online. There used to be a way when it was Grandcentral to ring phones sequentially. Not sure now.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
ovurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

If you are getting text messages to your BB's SMS inbox then you are being charged for text. If you receive the texts through the Google Voice app then it will be data only. The drawback to the app is that you get no LED/audible/vibrate notification of a SMS. If you look at the screen the app will have a little yellow circle to indicate a message of some type has been received by the app.

Below are the two ways to disable SMS texts.

Go to the Google Voice website. Log in and under settings go to the Phone tab. Edit your phone and disable SMS texts.

Under the General tab, you can also disable SMS texts for notifications.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

The Google App is a good first step and I'm sure they'll improve its functionality so it'll be a lot better in the near future.

To answer question #4: all your active phones will ring at the same time. At this time you cannot have that sequential ringing that you mentioned. It also may not be too practical because if it's ringing each phone one by one, the caller might not have the patience to sit through all those rings.
Closed Thread