Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
torberry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon
Default youtube not working?

Please Login to Remove!

I have not been able to load any youtube videos on my rogers BOLD.

Does anyone know whether the settings need to be tweaked to view video?

Last edited by torberry; 08-23-2008 at 10:12 AM..
Old 08-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
DJBoozy

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post

I had issues till i updated my software, and i can also only seem to get yochube to work on wifi, it throws up an error on 3G
Old 08-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Misake
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post

I can't either it says "An error has occurred attempting to play media"
Old 08-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R

Id better check this, after all that time with beta 45 on my 8310 having it STILL not work on 4.6 is a bit ridiculous, with 3G and all.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Commuto.com

It works perfectly for me. I just go to youtube.com at I get a mobile version of the site where the videos work fine.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers
Thumbs down

i read this thread and decided to try youtube on my bold.

it worked!

looked at 2-3 vids

then i went to most viewed and none work and hasnt since.

pulled the battery and tried again....one vid worked then errors message on all other attempts

wtf?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #7

With my 9000, on Edge or 3G, I can stream YouTube videos (it'll automatically load up Media Player), but if I have wi-fi on, I get the error.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

My experience has been that over wifi, no issues loading youtube video. Over 3G, I get "An error has occurred attempting to play media".

Reading the results so far in this thread appears to be inconsistent. Wish we could get a conclusive answer as to why it works or doesn't.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

I did some experimentation. If you are in Wi-fi browsing mode, it works. If you are on 3G, an option kicks in that may prevent Youtube from working. Under Browser Options, select "General Properties". An option called: "Switching to WAP for streaming media" may be on. Un-check it and try. This works for all browser modes.

Side note that may save you some grief: You can't change the browser mode (ie. Hotspot Browser to Internet Browser) in the Browser Configuration menu within the browser application. If you switch between the browser types, you can adjust the settings for each but that's it. Your default browser is still the default browser. You have to change the default browser in the main Options application (the wrench) under Advanced Options, Browser.

Hope this helps,
Santo
Old 08-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

^ I must say that Santos is very helpful. He's shown me two things so far that I wasn't aware of. Hats off to Santos.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmovies View Post
^ I must say that Santos is very helpful. He's shown me two things so far that I wasn't aware of. Hats off to Santos.
Thank you. Just trying to give back a little as I've learned lots here. Hat's off to everyone who provides help.

Santo
Old 08-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
RonnyBoy

Carrier: Orange

I am absolutely loving this phone and the last hurdle to make evrything rosy is to get youtube to work. I am a UK Orange user and when I try to access the site on wifi I get a green 'loading' logo in the top right...and then nothing happens.

Santos, your cracking advice above about unticking the option I reckon will do the trick...but I think I'm being imcredibly dumb. I can't find 'browser options' on my device.

I've got options-advanced options-browser completely down and know when I'm wifi and when I'm not but if you could help out a noob looking for perfection, you'd be more help than the orange tech team in the uk (whom I had to explain to this morning what streaming is as opposed to downloading...and I thought that I was technically incompetent!)

BTW - hello all, first post here. Love the forum and for you in any doubt, not only is the Bold an iphone killer, it's also got the smartphones running for cover. (I also use a tytn II)
Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyBoy View Post
I am absolutely loving this phone and the last hurdle to make evrything rosy is to get youtube to work. I am a UK Orange user and when I try to access the site on wifi I get a green 'loading' logo in the top right...and then nothing happens.

Santos, your cracking advice above about unticking the option I reckon will do the trick...but I think I'm being imcredibly dumb. I can't find 'browser options' on my device.

I've got options-advanced options-browser completely down and know when I'm wifi and when I'm not but if you could help out a noob looking for perfection, you'd be more help than the orange tech team in the uk (whom I had to explain to this morning what streaming is as opposed to downloading...and I thought that I was technically incompetent!)

BTW - hello all, first post here. Love the forum and for you in any doubt, not only is the Bold an iphone killer, it's also got the smartphones running for cover. (I also use a tytn II)
Unticking that option was only for when you're streaming on 3G. You can find the browser options when you open your browser and hit your options button. Not sure why it's not working for you through wifi.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
RonnyBoy

Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Any particular reason why you're posting the same thing again?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

carsmovies has it right in his first reply. I also noticed the green "Loading" and then nothing. Close the Media Player and try again and it should eventually work.

Santo
Old 08-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I did some experimentation. If you are in Wi-fi browsing mode, it works. If you are on 3G, an option kicks in that may prevent Youtube from working. Under Browser Options, select "General Properties". An option called: "Switching to WAP for streaming media" may be on. Un-check it and try. This works for all browser modes.

Side note that may save you some grief: You can't change the browser mode (ie. Hotspot Browser to Internet Browser) in the Browser Configuration menu within the browser application. If you switch between the browser types, you can adjust the settings for each but that's it. Your default browser is still the default browser. You have to change the default browser in the main Options application (the wrench) under Advanced Options, Browser.

Hope this helps,
Santo
Santo, thank you very much for this advice. I'm not rockin' and rollin' with my youtube videos.

Quote:

RonnyBoy,

Open your Browser. Click on the Menu button and select Options. Click on General Properties. Scroll down to "Switching to WAP for streaming media". Make sure that the checkbox is left UNCHECKED. Click on your escape button and save the configuration.

Credit goes to Santo for this. Just trying to play a role in this great community.

Last edited by TotalDistinction; 08-24-2008 at 03:54 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
Misake

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post

Hope this helps,
Santo
Hi Santo! I unclicked the "Switching the WAP for streaming media" option, but it still doesn't work...
Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #19
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry for the redundant posts. I was developing my reply, got distracted, and didn't see the updates to the post above.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #20
RonnyBoy

Sorry about that. Didn't realised I was already logged in so re-posted by mistake.

Well I found the browser options and unticked wap streaming, tried to youtube on wifi. Not good, crashed it. I then tried youtube on 3G with option unticked and still no joy.

Don't think it's my handset as I had it replaced this morning because I had a really early model and it was dropping calls. Same green loading thing happened on the last one.

I guess it's a uk thing. I'm not a massive youtuber, but now it doesn't work, I want to fix it and become one!
Closed Thread