BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
ytrebil

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile (UK)
Default Blackberry Infrastructure - problematic!?

Please Login to Remove!

This is really odd! I am a private BB user (so no BES) but when I connect to work’s wireless network, it connects fine but doesn’t connect to the Blackberry Infrastructure. However, when a colleague leaves for the day (shuts down her laptop), it seems to connect??? What would stop me connecting to the BB Infrastructure?

Is there a way of getting internet access on the BB without having to connect to the BB Infrastructure? Much like any other smart phone with Wifi enabled would be able to connect? It’s just this final path is not enabling me to get ANY net features on my phone.

Darn BB Infrastructure!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You can still browse via the browser when connected to wi-fi, if the icon is grey.
It doesnt have to connect to BIS through wi-fi for you to browse.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
You can still browse via the browser when connected to wi-fi, if the icon is grey.
It doesnt have to connect to BIS through wi-fi for you to browse.
True. But to use many other things, like email and many applications, you need BIS connectivity. I agree with the OP, I'd love to see a data plan available without the need to use BIS, which is another potential point of failure--and it has it' share of failures. It's ridiculous that I need a BIS connection for my WiFi to work. During a recent BIS outage, I couldn't use my WiFi network with my BB, which makes no sense other than to make sure people are paying for BIS.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

The OP mentioned internet access (I perceive that to be browsing) hence why I said what I said.
I understand you cant get email or use BIS features, if the wi-fi isn't connecting to BIS.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
The OP mentioned internet access (I perceive that to be browsing) hence why I said what I said...
Ah, yes, you are correct. The rest was me going off-topic.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Ixxx8217;m more curious to know why the BB WIFI does not work until his colleague shuts down her PC. To me the BB must be attempting to use the same IP address or the SSID security settings wont allow more than one user. Either way itxxx8217;s interesting.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
ytrebil

Okay this seems to get stranger…

Last night my colleague was still here and suddenly my WIFI logo went white and I got all my e-mails, Facebook notifications and so on… she is not here today and my WIFI logo is still grey. I connect to the router (everything in diagnostics on the WIFI connection side looks healthy) but I can’t connect to BIS through it.

Whoever it was who said I should be able to browse the internet still… wrong. It won’t find the server or some sort of equivalent error message.

So for some strange reason I’m connecting to the BIS sometime after 5pm. It’s really odd…

Connecting to BIS to be able to get all your WIFI features enabled (or any as far as I’m concerned in my situation at least) is a really bad move I think by RIM. I know I can’t be the only person who has suffered with WIFI woes. It can be particularly frustrating if you are say abroad and the only ‘net access you can get is a free WIFI connection at a restaurant and all your other mates on their smartphones have automatically picked up the connection whilst I’m fiddling about with battery pulls and Infrastructure connection errors….
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Unless you can test a home network, that does the same thing; im inclined to go with a router problem, not a phone problem.
As it wont connect to BIS until after 5pm.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #9
ytrebil

Router at home is fine and gfxxx8217;sxxx8230;. although saying that it does disconnect sometimes for no apparent reason. Itxxx8217;ll connect a few minutes later. Why that specific time though? After 5pm?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I don't know, its not my router.
Whoever sets it up at your work, may have a specific time setting to allow certain ports, access to other IP's etc.
Talk to your IT guy.

Closed Thread