BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
amy@speckproducts

Model: 7290
Talking ToughSkins for 7520/7510 are here!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there- just wanted to let you guys know our Blackberry 7520/7510 cases are shipping! They're called Toughskins- and are more tough and rugged than our SkinTight cases. They ship with a ToughSKin case, deluxe swivel hoslter, screen protector and potional rubberized keypad protector.

Here's the link! http://www.speckproducts.com/bb7500.html

I'll send some samples to the forum incase they'd like to do a review of the ruggedized ToughSkin line.

I'm also looking for a few user reviewers- so if you're interested please check out our developer's forum on this site- I'll have the details posted shortly

thanks again!

Amy
[email address]
Old 07-21-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Thanks Amy
Old 07-24-2005, 05:25 AM   #3
archtdi

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks

Have been trying to find a decent case; I think this will be the one. Always wanted a case that looks like a tractor tire on the outside
Now I will have one

Old 07-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

tractor tire lol thats a good one i said a terminator kinda look
Old 07-24-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
fliedlice
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am somewhat dissapointed in the looks of this case...will there ever be one available that looks like the 7290 case?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Man I love the look of this case it just looks really macho and tough. I didnt like the looks of the other. The looked like a condom for a BB to me this one has some personality.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
Kriz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up My review of the New Speck case for 7520

Well after long anticipation the wait is over! The Tough Skin case by Speck for the BB 7520 is here. Now was it worth the wait?

First of all, I am a bit compulsive about my toys. I do alot of research and read all the stuff out there, every article and review before I buy a new gadget then the first thing I look for is a way to protect it. I am one of those guys who needs to keep my toys in excellent condition. First thing I did after getting my BB was to get a screen protector like I had on my Treo. I always dread the first scratch or drop so I was excited to see what the reviews about other cases by Speck said.

I of course started with the standard issue plastic holster. I quickly hit the web to find something better. I could see the edges on the front getting alot of wear sliding in and out of that hard plastic. Coming from a Treo with a million cases to choose from I expected the same for the BB. NOT! I had been using a horizontal case and loved it but always thought it I drop this putting it in I am done. So I bought the best thing I could find. The leather RIM case. I liked the fact that the back of my BB would be protected from scratches and it is a good case. The same issue as before arose, the BB could slip out of my hands and drop.

So....now let me tell ya about my new case..

I ordered a Black one, but it is also available in clear.

Once you get the package you soon realize that this case is for serious protection. The rubber case is yes, like described before, a tractor tire or that rubber similar to the Nextel rubberized phones. After I put the BB into the case the next two choices were to use the screen protector, a clear hard plastic cover and whether or not to use the rubber cover for the keypad.

I loaded it up full force with all the protectors. The plastic holster holds it firmly in place on your belt and provides a swivel clip for comfort. The case is very solid and conforms quite well to the BB. I had some trouble getting the screen protector to fit completly without having a "bubble" along either the top or bottom edge. I know I could use it without the plastic cover, but it is supposed to fit, I expect it to fit without a buldge. Overall it would provide ample protection to the screen. The additional rubber protector that wraps around the bottom to protect the keypad is very usable. You can use all functions and does not interfere with normal use.

After two days of use, I came up with some basic Pros and Cons:

Pros: Provides exceptional protection for all areas of the BB including the screen and keypad, Fits snuggly into the swivel holster with magnet to activate the "sleep" mode. Easy to slip on and take off, stays on the dashboard without slipping around.

Cons: Rubber is stiff and industrial grade, not "office" savy. Cannot put into a pocket or if you wear a jacket or suit coat forget it, it will catch on the fabric, The screen protector does not have a "seamless" fit around the rubber edges.

Overall this case would be in my opinion a great case for those people who work outside or in an environment which you are exposed to being bummped like manufacturing. It does not work well for office types. A smoother case like the one for the IPOD would be better suited for those work environment. The case has charactor and for the price would definately provide the protection is claims to.

I would rate the case a 4 out of 5.

Edit: The holster does allow the BB to slip out of the side..lost it twice today..also the magnet is off like others have said..should have made it more of a bar type. The screen protector really gets loose when taking it in and out alot...

Last edited by Kriz; 07-27-2005 at 05:26 PM..
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

cool nice to hear a review I will do mine as soon as I get it
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Thumbs up

Well I got home today and there sat on my porch a brand new speck skin tight case.

I ran in sliced it open and installed all componets so far i am really impressed if it holds up to the trials of a daily construction site then they have a winner in my opinion.

Not sure if I like the keyboard cover or not will give it a day or so and see what i think. So far the only draw back I see is the screen cover not fitting flush like was mentioned in all the other threads about skintight products.

edit: Ok the keyboard cover is gone I cant type anything with it on I hit duplicate numbers and other keys

So tomorrow really begins the tests I have included some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Great product speck thansk again amy

Last edited by Dawg; 07-25-2005 at 10:02 PM..
Old 07-25-2005, 11:21 PM   #10
rcrivera03

Model: 7520
Thumbs up

I like the look. Should protect my BB when I'm in the field in rough weather. Not sure about the keyboard cover though!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Exclamation

Well, after using this product all day in the field, The case is great no issues other than the keyboard cover and the screen protector not fitting securely.

Now for the cons the holster absolutley sucks you cant tell when its clipped in and when its not I lost my bb six times today and didnt even know it was gone. Needs some sort of side guards to let you know its in because it will slip out the side very easy. If you dont get it just right in the holster the magnet wont shut down the screen or make it go to vibrate got interupted in several confrences today because it should have just vibrate but went off.

Not good when you are meeting with the President of the Company and the County Inspectors.

Over all I like the case, hate the holster but think I much prefer the leather case to this holster. If they get the holster worked out would be a 9 on the scale of 1 to 10 for harsh enviroments.

Update: had to do a little trimming on the keyboard opening the top row of keys were not fully exposed kept missing the key when i hit the case,

Last edited by Dawg; 07-27-2005 at 01:26 AM..
Old 07-27-2005, 01:14 AM   #12
Apache

Model: 7510
Cool

I received the clear version of the Tough-skin for my Nextel 7510 today, July, 26th. My first impression was, WOW, this is a large case and will add some bulk and weight (which it did… will provide details later).

I immediately installed all pieces that came with the package to see how they fit. The base case fits very well (albeit big). I do not like the “flap” that covers the headset and USB connector (the little piece on the back that is supposed to fit into the headphone jack and hold the flap in place does not fit), I would prefer an open slot like is on the other side where the thumbwheel is.

The keypad protector that I have is useless. The rubber is not clear and I cannot see the keys through the rubber protector. Even if I could see though it, I do not care for the feel, I would not use this option; it’s kind of like the keyboard skins you used to see years ago… didn’t like those either!

As far as the screen protector I seem to have the same problem that everyone else has, it doesn’t quite fit; it makes the top of the case pop up.

I plan to use this for a day or so and provide some updated input.

BOTTOM LINE: I would like to see a Skin-tight case rather than the Tough-skin.

Steve
Old 07-27-2005, 02:05 AM   #13
rcrivera03

Unhappy My Tough Skin Case Arrived!

I'm sitting in my living room watching tv with my Golden Retriever and my two Rottis when I hear a thud on the front porch. I look out the window and see the UPS guy running down my drive way. In the envelope is my Speck Tough Skin Case. <YAY> I'm happy, got a new case. I open the package and put it on my 7510.

First impression: Bulky, should protect my precious bb. Adds some weight, so far so good. I get a couple of calls so I couldn't put on the keyboard protector or the screen cover.

Then I get an EMS call. I called my two Rottis and tell them "time to work" as they jump in my truck I slap the screen cover on and the keyboard protector. When I get to the Emergency site and jump out of my truck, my BB slides of the holster/clip. Not good, I've never dropped my bb before. First thing I thought of was, holy s***, thats it the screen is cracked. When I picked up my BB, it had survived, the case did its job to protect it against a fall. My truck is 28" in height from the ground to the door rocker panel. A little over two feet.

Once I got my brief on what I needed to do, I got my Rottis working. I work as a Search & Rescue Agent, so my work takes me to a lot of different locations, terrains and weather. I'm looking for a 5 year old boy in a neighborhood, cutting through yards and dodging anything in my way and my bb slips out of my holster/clip again, I would not have realized it if it were not for one of my Rotts stopping dead in her tracks.

After its all over, I'm getting my Rotts some water, my bb rings. Its in the holster clip, so its supposed to vibrate. No, I found that if you don't clip it just right, it doesn't go to sleep. In my line of work, I can not afford the time to make sure it hits a specific spot, let alone keep falling.

Now that I'm on my way home I decided to send my wife a pin message to meet me for dinner and discovered that its difficult to see through the keyboard protector. I kept trying and as I did, I kept hitting the wrong keys. Now I have had a BB for years, so I can type pretty quickly with my thumbs, but I felt as if I had just gotten the bb and was learning to type all over again. So I gave up on the keyboard protector and took it off. I tried answering a couple of emails when I noticed that the opening for the Keyboard is not quiet large enough or cut straight. Half of the top row of keys is covered on the right side. and the Screen protector doesn't fit tight unless you have the keyboard protector on.

At home I discovered the last thing. When i went to connect the USB cable I realized that the little door that is supposed to protect the USB opening and the headset jack, doesn't line up right, so the door doesn't close all the way.

So here is my breakdown for the case so far:
On a scale of 1 to 10

Overall Protection Case itself: 9 Reason; without the keyboard protector its still possible to damage the keys.

Keyboard Protector: 4 to 5 Resaon; It will protect from the elements somewhat and from a minor fall. Not clear enough, makes keys blurry. Too thick to type quickly. Have to take on and off.

Screen Protector: 7 Reason; Protects the screen. However, it pops out too easily. Doesn't quiet fit tight enough in the case to stay in there, the two bottom corners keep coming out of the groove.

Functionality of Case: 6
Overall:6

I'm not exactly thrilled with it because I dropped it twice. It does protect it from a fall, but it should not fall and it should not move around in the holster/clip to the point that it does not stay in the sleep mode. I couldn't type through the keyboard protector, had to take it off, bummer. But I was thrilled with the fact that after two drops within 30 minutes, my bb survived.

The true test will come in a few days when I go back to training for 3 days. Here are some pictures, they are a little blurry, but I hope you can see what I tried to describe.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0003.JPG   IMAG0004.JPG   IMAG0007.JPG  
Old 07-27-2005, 02:12 AM   #14
JAChavez99
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Well I was real excited when I saw this thread, but now not so much so. My only question is will Speck Products make any revisions to address some of these concerns?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:18 AM   #15
rcrivera03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAChavez99
Well I was real excited when I saw this thread, but now not so much so. My only question is will Speck Products make any revisions to address some of these concerns?
I hope they do, because the case looks cool! But honestly, if I had paid $34.95 for it, It would go back.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #16
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I feel same way, I am glad I got to review it because like RC stated I would be asking for my money back. I had to trim the case so I could even type on it. A little disappointed after all the hype of it.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:08 PM   #17
PingGuy

Model: 8300

After reading this thread and the original one on the Thin case I have to say I would not buy this product in it's current form. If the holster issues were fixed then I definately would. Reducing drops from my hand is not a good tradeoff for increasing drops from the holster. Simply put I think it was a bad decision for them to use this same hoster design after the reports they had about the problems with the holster for the thin skin.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 07-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #18
rcrivera03

Thumbs up

***UPDATE***

Last night I was taking a closer look at the case and the holster/clip and I came up with some ideas. One was Dawgs idea if triming a little.

I trimmed around the keyboard and now I can access ALL of the keys with no problem. I also cut the little plug on the door that protects the USB and headset connection since it did not line up, and now the door closes all the way.

I still have the issue of the Screen protector being loose and coming out on the bottom.

I also fixed the holster/clip. I took a Bunsen Burner and heated the Clip at the top to allow me to bend it a little more, I also did this on the bottom. Result of this was that now it holds the BB in place a little tighter and doesn't slide as much.

So today I tested my tweaks while I was running my errands. The BB didn't fall out, but it still didn't quiet go to sleep, you still have to hit the spot just right. I was able to answer my emails and send new ones typing just as quickly as I normally do since I cut around the keys. So after my little tweaks the case works better and so does the holster/clip. However, the holster/clip needs two more clips on the side to make it a 1000% better.

So hopefully Speck will tweak these a bit, I sure would like this kind of protection for my BB if it works. I attached a picture of the trimming I did around the keyboard so you can all see it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0001.JPG  

Last edited by rcrivera03; 07-27-2005 at 04:58 PM..
Old 07-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #19
Kriz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Agreed..if I had paid for it, it would be back already instead of in my drawer..
Old 07-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #20
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Ok its official the speck case is going into the drawer. I missed 9 important phone calls today because I couldnt get the vibe to work because of the holster. I dropped the BB several more times today. If the unit does vibrate I cant seem to feel it as much either. I guess I am going to have to invest in the zippered leather case and see how that works. But for now its back to the OEM leather case tomorrow.
Closed Thread