Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
David Dickinson

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus
Question Bold 9000 GPS Receiver doesn't work

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and have have searched about but can't find a solution to this.

I have a 5 day old, Blackberry supplied by my work's phone provider (Optus). The issue I'm having is that I believe the device is fitted with a GPS receiver and can't get it to work.

I started off trying to use the BB Maps GPS integration, and then Google Maps integration. Neither worked.

I then went to the Options->Advanced Options->GPS and selected the "Refresh GPS" option. I get a "Scanning for Satellites..." message and then it just sits there. Eventually it comes back and says "Scanning for Satellites failed".

I've checked there are no security blocks and a soft reset. I have of course tried this outside on a clear day, from another of different locations to no avail.

FYI, I do have data connection and using Google maps via the GPRS triangulation (thingy) location works fine. So it appears (to me) that the GPS receiver isn't working.

Optus support have been cr*p stating "we can help you with email issues and internet issues, but not GPS as it is part of the phone...".

Any ideas, anyone?

I did consider posting this in the mapping section, but figured it was to do with the GPS Device in this model of phone so could be unique to this.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
David Dickinson

Oh and I've tried swearing at it, but still doesn't help.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Are you indoors? You need line of sight to the open sky to be able to connect.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
David Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher View Post
Are you indoors? You need line of sight to the open sky to be able to connect.

Thanks Doug, yeah, tried it out side in a number of locations not just in the city but also out in the sticks...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Sometimes it can take several refreshes for the first lock. I've seen up to 10 minutes.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
David Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Sometimes it can take several refreshes for the first lock. I've seen up to 10 minutes.
Fair enough... when you say refreshes... what do you mean? Soft poweroffs?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

The refresh GPS you've already been doing. I've seen it take quite a few of those while outside in the open.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dickinson View Post
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and have have searched about but can't find a solution to this.

I have a 5 day old, Blackberry supplied by my work's phone provider (Optus). The issue I'm having is that I believe the device is fitted with a GPS receiver and can't get it to work.

I started off trying to use the BB Maps GPS integration, and then Google Maps integration. Neither worked.

I then went to the Options->Advanced Options->GPS and selected the "Refresh GPS" option. I get a "Scanning for Satellites..." message and then it just sits there. Eventually it comes back and says "Scanning for Satellites failed".

I've checked there are no security blocks and a soft reset. I have of course tried this outside on a clear day, from another of different locations to no avail.

FYI, I do have data connection and using Google maps via the GPRS triangulation (thingy) location works fine. So it appears (to me) that the GPS receiver isn't working.

Optus support have been cr*p stating "we can help you with email issues and internet issues, but not GPS as it is part of the phone...".

Any ideas, anyone?

I did consider posting this in the mapping section, but figured it was to do with the GPS Device in this model of phone so could be unique to this.

Thanks for your time.
When you are in Options>Advanced Options>GPS, Is your GPS Services set to "Location On"? I only offer this because I have turned off my GPS off and forgot about it. Then when I open Google Maps it won't get a fix because my GPS is off.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
David Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
When you are in Options>Advanced Options>GPS, Is your GPS Services set to "Location On"? I only offer this because I have turned off my GPS off and forgot about it. Then when I open Google Maps it won't get a fix because my GPS is off.
Thanks BBSWany, yeah, Location On. I've tried refreshing it a number of times to get a lock.

I've even tried shaking it like an etchasketch, and that didn't work either...
Old 08-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You say your BB was work-provided? Are you on a corporate BES? They may have an IT policy in place that restricts data usage and your GPS could be restricted by that plan. Also, I don't know how Optus works, but Verizon disables GPS in order to get users to pay for the service. It's a firmware/crippleware thing.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #11
David Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You say your BB was work-provided? Are you on a corporate BES? They may have an IT policy in place that restricts data usage and your GPS could be restricted by that plan. Also, I don't know how Optus works, but Verizon disables GPS in order to get users to pay for the service. It's a firmware/crippleware thing.
Thanks Rambo.

Can the mobile phone provider disable the actual GPS Device? That is, even if the network provider turns off the GPS data providing, would I still be able to go to Options->Advanced Options->GPS and get my GPS coordinates?

I am assuming that the GPRS/3G etc. is not required to give me positional locations as this is satellite only... right?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
babsblackberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900

I was pretty sure GPS was not loaded onto the first batch of BlackBerry Bolds (I may be wrong). Same as with the curve 8300, GPS only came out on the 2nd version 8310.

Google Maps should still work, however it will only triangulate your signal to within 1700m. However, with Optus they are pretty accurate with this triangulation, so it will be more like 300 - 400m.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #13
David Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsblackberry View Post
I was pretty sure GPS was not loaded onto the first batch of BlackBerry Bolds (I may be wrong). Same as with the curve 8300, GPS only came out on the 2nd version 8310.

Google Maps should still work, however it will only triangulate your signal to within 1700m. However, with Optus they are pretty accurate with this triangulation, so it will be more like 300 - 400m.
Thanks Babs...

yeah, the triangulation works... it just seems a shame that it should.

Is there any definitive way to workout whether the GPS is installed and potentially should be working? It has the option for "device gps" in the advanced options... so surely it would say "no device" if it wasn't installed... wouldn't it?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #14
babsblackberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900

I have information from a source at Optus who confirms that the first shipment of BlackBerry Bold's will not be pre-loaded with GPS. Seems like they (RIM) are up to their old tricks. As I mentioned before, the same thing happened when the 8300 (Curve) came out.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #15
David Dickinson

Really? B*gger. So, does that mean the physical GPS Receiver is not loaded on to the device? Or they disable it via firmware etc.? What happened with the 8300?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 AM   #16
Mastiha

Carrier: Telstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsblackberry View Post
I have information from a source at Optus who confirms that the first shipment of BlackBerry Bold's will not be pre-loaded with GPS. Seems like they (RIM) are up to their old tricks. As I mentioned before, the same thing happened when the 8300 (Curve) came out.
I purchased my Bold from an Optus World Store on Friday. It was an outright purchase and I'm currently using it with Telstra.

GPS is definitely on this unit. Blackberry Maps is also on the unit however, Australia is not covered by Blackberry.

I've got Google Maps installed and it works fine. I’ve also tried a trial version of Whereis and it also works well.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #17
David Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiha View Post
I purchased my Bold from an Optus World Store on Friday. It was an outright purchase and I'm currently using it with Telstra.

GPS is definitely on this unit. Blackberry Maps is also on the unit however, Australia is not covered by Blackberry.

I've got Google Maps installed and it works fine. I’ve also tried a trial version of Whereis and it also works well.
Thanks Mastiha,

so the GPS receiver is definitely working and responding okay?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:00 AM   #18
Mastiha

Carrier: Telstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dickinson View Post
Thanks Mastiha,

so the GPS receiver is definitely working and responding okay?
Yep.

It has that it found 6 satellites and, when I had Google maps running, I went for a walk around the block and Google maps said that I has an accuracy of 4 metres.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #19
David Dickinson

Show off

Thanks for the response. I just wish there was a definitive way I could work out whether it has been disabled or deactivated, or whether it's not there, whether it's broken, or well, other.

Bl00dy Optus... no, that's your elbow, not your ar$e
Old 08-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #20
Alston_villa

Model: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiha View Post

How much is the bold from optus without a contract?
Closed Thread