Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #181
jeremy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ View Post
OK, here's the deal. It actually works fine on the Bold if you use a microscope to read the text.

The default font size is coming up as "1" which makes the text pretty much invisible. Go into Options and change the font size to something a little closer to normal (say 16) and everything should be fine. I'll correct the default size issue shortly.

Let me know how it works when on 3G.
I actually changed the font size a while ago. Prior to that, all I saw was a blank, white screen. Once I changed the font size, I could see the app normally but the Net, Svc and Id/Ch field still never populate for me--whether the phone is on EDGE or 3G.

Jeremy
Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #182
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
I actually changed the font size a while ago. Prior to that, all I saw was a blank, white screen. Once I changed the font size, I could see the app normally but the Net, Svc and Id/Ch field still never populate for me--whether the phone is on EDGE or 3G.

Jeremy
OK, I'm kinda stuck because all I have is the simulator and it's working as it should there. I'll monkey around a little more but until I get a real device it's a little hard to troubleshoot.

One thing you can check... If you go to "Network Details" do you get all the info on both 3G and Edge?
Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #183
jeremy

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
One thing you can check... If you go to "Network Details" do you get all the info on both 3G and Edge?

When I select Network Details in the menu, nothing happens, other than the Location updates stop for about 2 seconds.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #184
gudujarlson

Model: 666
PIN: N/A
Carrier: zebra killers
Default Source Code?

Where is the source code? I don't see it on the sourceforge site.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #185
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel

I tried to read the whole thread, but I don't know if this has been touched on yet. Some people were mentioning that they were on a cell cite in the middle of the atlantic.

I'm on Alltel and it does provide tower coordinates, which is great. The only thing is that the longitude displays as 80....., Whereas it should be -80...... The Negtive puts us in the correct hemisphere. So when I get the coordinates, I can plug them into google maps with the (-) and I get the correct location. However when I am trying to use the Signal Loc utility, it tells me I am 8,000 miles way from the cell site.

So here is the question. Are the towers broadcasting a longitude of (+)80....... or is the Signal Loc software displaying the coordinates as (+)80....... I ask because I wonder if there is a way to make the longitude coordinates negative (for those of us in North America) so that they will map correctly, etc...
Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #186
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudujarlson View Post
Where is the source code? I don't see it on the sourceforge site.
Go to Download, Browse All packages, then clock on the packages (signallocbb). You'll see signalloc-src-0.1.776.zip
Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #187
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherRI View Post
I tried to read the whole thread, but I don't know if this has been touched on yet. Some people were mentioning that they were on a cell cite in the middle of the atlantic.

I'm on Alltel and it does provide tower coordinates, which is great. The only thing is that the longitude displays as 80....., Whereas it should be -80...... The Negtive puts us in the correct hemisphere. So when I get the coordinates, I can plug them into google maps with the (-) and I get the correct location. However when I am trying to use the Signal Loc utility, it tells me I am 8,000 miles way from the cell site.

So here is the question. Are the towers broadcasting a longitude of (+)80....... or is the Signal Loc software displaying the coordinates as (+)80....... I ask because I wonder if there is a way to make the longitude coordinates negative (for those of us in North America) so that they will map correctly, etc...
I display exactly what the RIM API returns. Sprint had a tower close by me that was broadcasting an inverted sign which put the site in Mongolia. I called them and complained and they fixed it.

Is it only 1 site or are all Alltel sites broadcasting inverted signs?

Any other Alltel users out there?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #188
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like a great app... Just have to get a GPS puck, or pay even more to Verizon.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #189
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
Sounds like a great app... Just have to get a GPS puck, or pay even more to Verizon.
Thanks. Beware with Verizon though. It's hit or miss as to whether SignalLoc will work with VZnavigator running. It never worked for me.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #190
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Thanks. Beware with Verizon though. It's hit or miss as to whether SignalLoc will work with VZnavigator running. It never worked for me.
:/ that stinks. Appreciate the info.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #191
gudujarlson

Model: 666
Carrier: zebra killers

I downloaded 0.1.776 and installed it on my BlackBerry Curve 8310 (v4.2.2.170). The app starts up fine, but if I choose anything on the menu (even "About"), I get prompted to grant access to the GPS and when I select yes, the whole device hangs and I have to power cycle it. This happens every time.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #192
cr0bar

Model: 8100
Carrier: O2 UK

I love this program, looks really good.

Ok, i've got it set up, GPS works fine, network is detected and i've got it set to save cell when location isn't invalid.

But it doesn't save to my list. Is it because i added this cell manually before then deleted it?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #193
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Alltel

RemyJ,

Yeah I figured it was just a display of what the tower was broadcasting. It is all of Alltel's towers. They show the longitude as a (+) instead of a (-). It's not a big deal, I can still map the coordinates manually, but it would be cool to see how far away I actuall was from the tower.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #194
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherRI View Post
RemyJ,

Yeah I figured it was just a display of what the tower was broadcasting. It is all of Alltel's towers. They show the longitude as a (+) instead of a (-). It's not a big deal, I can still map the coordinates manually, but it would be cool to see how far away I actuall was from the tower.
How about an "Invert Longitude Sign" option?
Give me a week.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #195
Walterwt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

FYI, it would appear software version 4.5 and above breaks the program. I had it running successfully on a Curve 8310, 8800 and pearl 8100. I upgraded all to 4.5 and now no signal information. My Bold will not return signal info either, although the GPS function works fine. Let me know if I can try anything to assist.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #196
tbhuang2

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterwt View Post
FYI, it would appear software version 4.5 and above breaks the program. I had it running successfully on a Curve 8310, 8800 and pearl 8100. I upgraded all to 4.5 and now no signal information. My Bold will not return signal info either, although the GPS function works fine. Let me know if I can try anything to assist.
I'm running 4.5 on my 8130 and it's working fine. Maybe after upgrading, you forgot to enable "Carrier provides cell site location" or something. But I'm confused by your situation because this program is supposed to be only supported when using CDMA carriers (the 8310, 8100, and Bold all use GSM, not CDMA). The 8800 would work only if it's in CDMA mode.
-Threaded SMS
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #197
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterwt View Post
I've got it running on 4.5 just fine but one of my devices had the symptoms you describe and a simple battery pull fixed it. Give it a shot and let me know.

There's a problem with the Bold that happens on real devices but not in the simulator so it's kind of hard for me to troubleshoot. At least until AT&T gets off their collective butts and releases it in the US.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #198
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
I'm running 4.5 on my 8130 and it's working fine. Maybe after upgrading, you forgot to enable "Carrier provides cell site location" or something. But I'm confused by your situation because this program is supposed to be only supported when using CDMA carriers (the 8310, 8100, and Bold all use GSM, not CDMA). The 8800 would work only if it's in CDMA mode.
Everything except the cell site location works on GSM devices.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #199
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
Everything except the cell site location works on GSM devices.
Any idea why that is? This program is interesting, but having cell location data would make it even better.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #200
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

CDMA networks use the GPS system as an integral part of their network. It provides critical synchronization timing and E911 location capability. CDMA cell sites therefore make their latitude and longitude available to handsets. GSM networks don't use the GPS system the same way and don't provide their location.
Closed Thread