BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
boone92
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Receive a replacement through RIM? (or How I hate my VerizonPlus store)

Please Login to Remove!

Can you receive a replacement Storm directly from RIM? I am on my second Storm and it is starting to "device error" restart again and I am absolutely loathing the idea of returning to the VerizonPlus store I purchased it from.

1. It is 1 hour away from me.
2. The people there are so lazy and give you a real bad attitude when you ask them to help you (i.e. do their job).

On my last visit to get my Storm replaced, I was passed to a lady associate who literally rolled her eyes and huffed when she was asked to help me. Then after she started the process I had to wait as she and another associate "secretly" tried to go through my Storm settings to see if I passed their 500 minute warranty rule. I asked the lady what they were looking for (although I already heard them whispering about it) and she said "Uh...we're checking..." O really? What was really funny was that 1) they had no idea how a Storm works so after 4 minutes of struggling to find a "minutes used" info screen (which doesn't exist) the other associate eventually had to take the phone back to his manager to ask her and 2) the manager's response was "Give the customer a replacement regardless of the 500 minute warranty rule".

So the kid comes back and says they are giving me a replacement. Which makes me happy except I'm unsure how to transfer my contacts so I ask him, and he says "Yeah, you can do that. Ernie knows how to do it." Then 15 minutes later, as we continue the process, I say "I'd like to transfer my contacts." Upset, the lady associate says, "YOU HAVEN'T DONE THAT ALREADY?!" I reminded her about Ernie, the guy who was going to do it for me, and she says "We don't know if he'll do it...." and she looks at me like I am wasting her time. So I politely asked her for a pen and some paper and I spent the next 15 minutes copying my contacts list down by hand.

Then when I think I am ready to receive my new phone, I am led into part 2 of "amateur phone detective" hour by the two associates. They ask me again what is wrong with my phone (she even asks why I didn't come in sooner. Really???) and the second associate makes a call to another supervisor. Again, he accesses my phone to see if I have the most recent software installed. He said "You probably don't have the most recent software. We'll install it for you and that will fix your problems". So the supervisor on the phone talks him through the steps to finding the software info screen (remember these people have no idea how to navigate a Storm) and guess what? I have the latest software. I was able to thwart their gumshoe tactics once more!

Anyway, after about 1 hour and a half total of waiting, I finally get my new phone! Actually, no. I have to wait while the lady associate charges the new phone for 25 minutes so she can set it up to my Verizon account. That part wasn't really her fault but would YOU want to sit there with these people for another 25 minutes? I think not.

And now, my new phone is "device error" restarting too! Ah, the prospect of returning to the store and repeating this debacle once more (I'm sure they have planned and improved their detective tactics in the week since) scares me. Is there a way to bypass these little troll gate keepers and get a new working phone? Please say yes???
Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone92 View Post
Can you receive a replacement Storm directly from RIM?
No, you need to go through your carrier.
Call Verizon Customer service, or go to a corporate store.
Don't bother with the reseller that you purchased it from.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Yah like he said...if I where u, I would just call customer service, they will question if you've gone to the store and asked for a replacement...that's when you tell them that they ran out of storms so they gave you that number to call for a replacement.....I did this, and I bought my phone from a reseller as well.....try it....let us know what happens....

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Good story, wah wah. Like soup said, take it to the corprate store or call the 800 number and ask for tech support...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone92 View Post
Can you receive a replacement Storm directly from RIM? I am on my second Storm and it is starting to "device error" restart again and I am absolutely loathing the idea of returning to the VerizonPlus store I purchased it from.

1. It is 1 hour away from me.
2. The people there are so lazy and give you a real bad attitude when you ask them to help you (i.e. do their job).

On my last visit to get my Storm replaced, I was passed to a lady associate who literally rolled her eyes and huffed when she was asked to help me. Then after she started the process I had to wait as she and another associate "secretly" tried to go through my Storm settings to see if I passed their 500 minute warranty rule. I asked the lady what they were looking for (although I already heard them whispering about it) and she said "Uh...we're checking..." O really? What was really funny was that 1) they had no idea how a Storm works so after 4 minutes of struggling to find a "minutes used" info screen (which doesn't exist) the other associate eventually had to take the phone back to his manager to ask her and 2) the manager's response was "Give the customer a replacement regardless of the 500 minute warranty rule".

So the kid comes back and says they are giving me a replacement. Which makes me happy except I'm unsure how to transfer my contacts so I ask him, and he says "Yeah, you can do that. Ernie knows how to do it." Then 15 minutes later, as we continue the process, I say "I'd like to transfer my contacts." Upset, the lady associate says, "YOU HAVEN'T DONE THAT ALREADY?!" I reminded her about Ernie, the guy who was going to do it for me, and she says "We don't know if he'll do it...." and she looks at me like I am wasting her time. So I politely asked her for a pen and some paper and I spent the next 15 minutes copying my contacts list down by hand.

Then when I think I am ready to receive my new phone, I am led into part 2 of "amateur phone detective" hour by the two associates. They ask me again what is wrong with my phone (she even asks why I didn't come in sooner. Really???) and the second associate makes a call to another supervisor. Again, he accesses my phone to see if I have the most recent software installed. He said "You probably don't have the most recent software. We'll install it for you and that will fix your problems". So the supervisor on the phone talks him through the steps to finding the software info screen (remember these people have no idea how to navigate a Storm) and guess what? I have the latest software. I was able to thwart their gumshoe tactics once more!

Anyway, after about 1 hour and a half total of waiting, I finally get my new phone! Actually, no. I have to wait while the lady associate charges the new phone for 25 minutes so she can set it up to my Verizon account. That part wasn't really her fault but would YOU want to sit there with these people for another 25 minutes? I think not.

And now, my new phone is "device error" restarting too! Ah, the prospect of returning to the store and repeating this debacle once more (I'm sure they have planned and improved their detective tactics in the week since) scares me. Is there a way to bypass these little troll gate keepers and get a new working phone? Please say yes???
Old 12-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
viet2100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I didn't even bother going into a store. I called CS, she asked me to do a battery pull, and then wipe (didn't actually do it), and my replacement Storm's going to be here tomorrow =]

Last edited by viet2100; 12-30-2008 at 04:45 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw5510 View Post
Good story, wah wah.
Did that make you feel better? Honestly if people can't vent in forums such as these, we may have more retail beatings in the news. Lighten up huh?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am sorry.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
boone92
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8500
Carrier: Verizon

It's no real secret that this post is basically just me whining/venting so cdw5510's comment is more redundant/obvious than offensive, but I think it's funny that he still called me out on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Honestly if people can't vent in forums such as these, we may have more retail beatings in the news.
I agree, however, being snarky is one of the internet's most unalienable rights!

Also thanks to others for the helpful advice!
Closed Thread