BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
lax4782

Model: None
Default Advice for a prospective BB owner

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all...

My contract with Verizon just expired, and I am very seriously considering a switch to T-Mobile and picking up a Pearl. I am not entirely familiar with how RIM typically does with fixing issues with their products, but I am trying to learn. My question is, how quickly do you all think the issues that have been raised about the Pearl (the trackball silencing the ringer and software crashes, for instance) will be addressed and fixed? In other words, is switching carriers and getting the Pearl a good move, or should I wait a while?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I just switched from Verizon and got the Pearl and couldn't be happier. I was tired of paying Verizon $45 a month for unlimited data when T-Mobile offers it for $20.

Sure there are some issues with the Pearl, but what new device doesn't have some kind of bugs. I'm sure a software update will be out within 6 months, and there's a chance it could be earlier.

You could always go get the Pearl and try it out and see if you like it, and if the issues it has bother you or not. If you are not happy, you could always cancel within your alloted time frame and return to Verizon, or try the 8700g.

Please try a Search
Old 09-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Most important thing to consider...make SURE that Tmo has the coverage you need. Bottom line, the Pearl isn't going to be worth ANYTHING to you if it doesn't have coverage. Especially if you're used to VZ's coverage, which is typically outstanding...
Old 09-25-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I 2nd Pizzle's comments as T-Mo is cheaper but may not have good coverage in your area. The map show I should have 2 bars at my office and house and I have zero in my office and 1 or zero in my house. Having to go outside to make or receive a call is not a good thing.

Also no phone is perfect so do not expect the 8100 to be, not even in 6 months
Old 09-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

If you want to be on the bleeding edge (read: Pearl) then be prepared to bleed a little.

It shouldn't be too bad. Software updates to address the major and minor issues should be available soon (6 months?).
Closed Thread