Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority
Default Palm Pixi Plus -- Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I have quietly been using a Palm Pixi Plus (stupid name I know) for about 3 weeks now...

It's a really nice little gadget.... Not sure if I will keep it at this point but I am leaning towards it...

Email works fine for me as I am on BIS with BB... My gmail polls every 30 minutes and I have had no issue with getting or sending my email...

The threaded SMS/Social networking is pure genius... For instance if I am talking to a person on gtalk and send that same person a text message it all stays on one screen and in thread format....

Even though the KB is slightly smaller that my Curve 2, I find that I have NO issues typing on it, even with my big fingers....

The new webOS 1.4 has def boosted the speed of the device... Before the update my Pixi lagged a bit, now since the OS update it screams.....

I also enjoy the cards (or whatever they are called).. I can keep several apps open at once and switch between them with a simple swipe of the screen...

Phone quality is actually better on this than on my BB which surprised me since many reviews have said the phone quality was only so-so.... I must have got lucky and received a killer device.....

The camera on it is just as bad as the camera on the Curve 2.....

The screen is pretty nice and bright and I have had no issues at all with screen touch / activating what I wanted it to do....

It's a pretty capable little device.... Scoots along and is really very snappy with the webOS 1.4 update....

My MAIN gripe is that stoooooooooooooooooooooooooopid screen lock... Just like my Fred (Droid) I can't stand it.... I can't stand it.... Did I say I can't stand it?

I should have the option to disable the stooooooooooooooooooopid thing but I don't....

Videos play nice and smooth on it, it connects to wi-fi just fine and BT works in my Audi A3.....

The battery cover is quite odd to say the least.... It's almost like you are disassembling the device just to get to the battery..... It has 8GB of memory and there is NO memory slot for expansion.... A slight bummer but not all that important to me....

Battery life is so-so... Nothing to jump up and down over and pretty similar to the BB Curve 2 battery life....

I also purchased the charging dock.... That little thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet......

Anyway, not sure if I will end up keeping it or not.... As of right now if I had to make a choice, I'd say it's a keeper.....

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 03-21-2010 at 11:14 PM..
Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

WebOS is great from what I've seen. Too bad Palm is about to go under from what I've read. RIM should really think about buying them and incorporating WebOS into the aging BB OS.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

The webOS is awesome.... I don't think it would work on a BB without some serious reworking though.... I don't really want to get into the whole *cloud* issue again, but that would be a concern if it were to make it onto the BB...

I would LOVE to see a BB with this menu and card system... I also would love to see a BB with a physical KB and a touch screen (candy bar style)...

Palm, like Motorola is on it's last leg... It looks like the Fred (Droid) has at least prolonged Motorola's death... The webOS might prolong Palm's as well....

Palm started going down hill with the 650... I had a 600 and LOVED it... When the 650 was released I jumped on it because the 600 was so rock solid... The 650 was pure JUNK....

Then Palm made the biggest mistake I think they could have made, and that was going to the win mobile OS...

The Pixi Plus is a sweet little device... There are many things I like about it and really only one that I don't and thats the stupid screen lock system... I can understand the top button to unlock the screen, but have NO idea why I need the top button and swipe..... One or the other would be fine...

My .02

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 03-22-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I have decided to keep the Palm.... It's really a very, very nice device and OS....

I am sure I will be back to BB at some point but it will not be for the Tour 2.... I hate my Tour and the KB on the Tour 2 will be the same I assume....

I still have 2 BB's.... The Tour and the 8703....

Kris
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

What made you choose the Pixi Plus over the Pre Plus?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I played with the Pre and did not like the slide open KB.... As with the Fred (Droid) I had issues typing on the top row of keys... Plus I have always loved the candybar style phones...

Kris
Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I thought that may be the case. So, I am guessing the BB Slider (when released) will be out of the question for you.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Ya... I have never really liked the sliders... I keep trying them in the hopes I will find one that I like but keep wanting candybar style....

I really wish RIM would have a Curve / Storm Hybrid.... A Curve style bottom with a Storm (touch type) screen....

Now that would be the ultimate for me....

I am already missing some of my apps from the BB that are not available for webOS.. BeWeather and PDSports are the 2 I miss the most... There is nothing even close to these 2 apps for webOS...

Overall I think the Pixi (stupid name) is a pretty awesome device... Even though it's much slimmer than the Curve 2 (read: smaller KB) I can type just as fast, if not faster on it... Odd and I don't really know why.... The spacing of the keys and the feedback it provides perhaps....

The major downside of the device ( not for me but for others) will be it's use of the infamous *cloud*.. It's not an issue for me, but security wise It would / could be a serious concern for some.....

I really like it though... My 30 days is up tomorrow and no phone usually makes it that far... My Fred lasted about 3 weeks and I really tried my best to want to keep it....

With the Pixi (did I mention the name is stupid?) I find that I am not trying to like it, I just do.....

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 03-24-2010 at 11:21 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Has everyone/anyone seen the Verizon news? The mobile Hotspot app is now FREE. Yup. Tether your laptop, iPod Touch, whatever, and instead of $40/month it's FREE.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I like web OS.

Being a BB user, I think web OS is the easiest adjustment due to the cards. That's a great idea.

Only downside to web OS is its not as customizeable as the BB (when it comes to options/settings), is not as popular as say android and after all this time, really only two device choices! Palm needs to expand on their lineup.

Using and moving about on the phone is great, it's something to have to learn first then its easy (luckily there's a walkthrough when you first power it on) but navigating can be tiresome and take a little bit more time than needed.

Unlike the BB which is quick, simple and everything is in reach. Its like being in a Lotus Elise vs a 7series BMW
Closed Thread