Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #41
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao980 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 Bold)

Users on other forums have reported that Bolds with 162 prefer 2G rather than 3G. Has anyone here noticed a similar behavior?
I get full 3G bars on goodness in my basement as I type this.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #42
tao980
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange Romania

OK, then I'll give it a go later today.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #43
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

21 Hours of normal use on this build, including 3G, Edge, and wifi use, (no Viigo) and my free memory has dropped 3.72 MBs.

Rebooting...

Backup to 47 MBs

Last edited by Shaun; 10-03-2008 at 10:17 AM..
Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #44
baltee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: All
PIN: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Nor will there ever be (most likely.)
The Rim guys I've spoken with have mentioned that the hardware of the device is not capable and it's not just software. Hopefully they are misleading the information, but they've never steered me wrong thus far.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #45
baltee

Model: All
PIN: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao980 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 Bold)

Users on other forums have reported that Bolds with 162 prefer 2G rather than 3G. Has anyone here noticed a similar behavior?
i've noticed the exact same, on my devices.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #46
sroetter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltee View Post
The Rim guys I've spoken with have mentioned that the hardware of the device is not capable and it's not just software. Hopefully they are misleading the information, but they've never steered me wrong thus far.
Google UMA and 3G. There is plenty of info that there are currently no 3G devices that can do UMA. I doubt it will be added to the Bold.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #47
akc786
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobilink

It's a stable version.

After 24 hours of usage, memory leak is only 3 MB. From 47mb to 44 mb.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #48
fboor

Carrier: AT&T, STARHUB

just wonder why bother upgrade using beta version of the os which is not stable? yall seems like busy upgrading every time rim release new beta. you guys ever use the device and enjoy it? or just bought it to use it to play upgrade and downgrade their software? it seems to me like you have an expensive car and it always in the garage bcs something wrong with the car and you never use it. just wonder...
Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #49
raven71
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
PIN: 249F7DCD
Carrier: AT&T

What models is this for the 9000 only or will it work on the curve 8310? I am getting ready to do a 4.5.0.81 but if this works on a curve I will try it
Old 10-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #50
taosd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboor View Post
just wonder why bother upgrade using beta version of the os which is not stable? yall seems like busy upgrading every time rim release new beta. you guys ever use the device and enjoy it? or just bought it to use it to play upgrade and downgrade their software? it seems to me like you have an expensive car and it always in the garage bcs something wrong with the car and you never use it. just wonder...
It's just a pursuit of getting a better version of the same thing. It's not like all we do is upgrade and then toss the phone to the side. We want to get the most out of our phones while we are using them, and we do use them a lot. Upgrading the OS doesn't take a significant amount of time, so it's no problem to upgrade even daily (which is not the case for anyone, I don't think)

From my understanding, this is not necessarily a beta in the sense that a lot of beta software is. The only reason it's beta is because no Carrier has released it.

Last edited by taosd; 10-03-2008 at 01:28 PM..
Old 10-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #51
InnerGeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Everything has been running smoothly for me over the past 24 hours. I believe 3G has been more consistent with this build. Memory after battery pull was 50.4, 24 hours later 40.8. That is with using Viigo.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #52
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
I have tried beta browsers, beta office suites, beta OSes, beta web applications, beta handheld software, etc.

Some of us just like living on the edge. We are known for 'pushing the envelope'. Another term is 'masochists'.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #53
taosd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
I have tried beta browsers, beta office suites, beta OSes, beta web applications, beta handheld software, etc.

Some of us just like living on the edge. We are known for 'pushing the envelope'. Another term is 'masochists'.
I'm not sure I'd say anyone who tries beta software was 'pushing the envelope'... i mean, it's not like we're putting ourselves at any real risk.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #54
Crooky

PIN: 255400BF
Carrier: Orange UK

I upgraded .147 > .162 today...process appeared to go OK, but it would Bold communicate with DM after...it connects but when I try to actuslly do install or interact with it it pops up some message about being unable to connect. Could not restore contacts, messages etc as the backups were marked / set for "Wireless" syncing...WTF?..presume this is a BES service provision and not for BIS like mine.

..needless to say this is a little annoying...downgraded back to .147 and now trying to get DM working with that version again. Uninstalled the lot...now reinstalling..fingers x'd.

Something must have broke something else during the upgrade process!

Sorted: Complete uninstall (incl. man registry and folder / file deletes) and reinstall of DM as outlined in a forum topic found via search. Reinstalled .147 again via loader.exe and managed to get all backups restored. Happy Dayz. Don't nessesarily think was an issue caused by .162 upgrade, however, .147 seems a keeper for me until I have a few hours 'contingency' time free again!!

Last edited by Crooky; 10-03-2008 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Problem solved.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #55
JmJ17

PIN: 25564C6F
Carrier: Vodafone Spain

SOLVED

Another bug:

Opening an Excel doc with Sheet To Go I receive this error: "Missing resource com.dataviz.dxtg.stg.resource.SheetToGo" on two Bolds.

Word and Slide To Go works fine.

Anybody has this problem too?

SOLVED: Connectig to Desktop Manager and starting Application Loader, it tells me to update DocsToGo and "others languages??". This has solved the problem. It appears that in the first firm uploading, didn't finish.

Last edited by JmJ17; 10-03-2008 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 10-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #56
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmm, am I the only one not happy with this one?

Every other update worked perfectly for me... this one was sitting in "edge" (no BB connection) after it booted up. I did a battery pull and it was fine. Then the next day it dropped dwon to edge again. Battery pull again but has been fine since. I've never had it drop to edge before this build..

That's not really a big deal as it just happened once a day, but now that I look at it, it's at 40% battery life and it's 10 pm. I charged it over night and my lazy ass slept in today too (probably unplugged it at 11 30 am..).

.150 was WAY WAY WAY better on battery life. I would go to sleep at 3 am with it over 50%. With the way things are going this will have like 25-30% at 3 am, and i didn't even use my phone much today..

Anyone else notice this ?

I'm kind of lazy to downgrade though, I'll probably stick through it until a newer build comes up again..

Last edited by BlitzSix; 10-03-2008 at 09:05 PM..
Old 10-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #57
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Sorry but this post is just retarded. How do you compare upgrading software to people who don't use their car? You realize that all of us use the phone all day everyday right? The only difference is that we take an extra 5 minutes to check if any newer software came out to upgrade.

If you want to compare it, it's like any other computer software... some people bought Vista the day it came out, some people still use XP. Some people keep their antivirus up to date with almost daily updates and some don't bother..

If you want to compare it to cars, then it's more like washing the car a lot, and driving it all the time. Not storing it. That is just a plain stupid statement. It takes 15-25 mins of downtime to upgrade the phone, which people do once a week maybe...
Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #58
fboor

Carrier: AT&T, STARHUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix View Post
Sorry but this post is just retarded. How do you compare upgrading software to people who don't use their car? You realize that all of us use the phone all day everyday right? The only difference is that we take an extra 5 minutes to check if any newer software came out to upgrade.

If you want to compare it, it's like any other computer software... some people bought Vista the day it came out, some people still use XP. Some people keep their antivirus up to date with almost daily updates and some don't bother..

If you want to compare it to cars, then it's more like washing the car a lot, and driving it all the time. Not storing it. That is just a plain stupid statement. It takes 15-25 mins of downtime to upgrade the phone, which people do once a week maybe...
Sorry, I am not retarded, i just asking a questions. you don't need to answer if you dont like it /w your arrogantness. all others replied nicely.
good luck to you.

Last edited by fboor; 10-03-2008 at 11:53 PM..
Old 10-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #59
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Sorry, I am not retarded, i just asking a questions. you don't need to answer if you dont like it /w your arrogantness. all others replied nicely.
good luck to you.
Um, no, you didn't just ask a question. If you just asked "why do you guys care about always having the latest version" or something then that's fine. I would have answered normally.

But:

Quote:
you guys ever use the device and enjoy it? or just bought it to use it to play upgrade and downgrade their software? it seems to me like you have an expensive car and it always in the garage bcs something wrong with the car and you never use it. just wonder...
This does not make ANY sense at all. Since like I said everyoen here clearly uses their phone, and just takes an extra 30 mins a week to upgrade it. Why would you say that we never use it, or that things are wrong with it? We just tweak it a bit, and use it all the time..
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #60
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Relax everyone.

Fboor, if you don't want to upgrade, don't. Those who upgrade often seem to be here giving info to everyone so I don't see the point of all this.

And, for the record, these OS's are NOT beta. They are just not released. There are earlier versions that are official so obviously a newer version is not "beta" but just not released by a carrier yet. As far as I'm concerned, the Bold is a beta device. It seems to have plenty of bugs. Each newer OS has the potential to fix these bugs and I'd say that the newer the OS, the better. Occasionally, something gets broken in an upgrade. If you don't want to upgrade, don't. But there's no need to hammer on those who do.
Closed Thread