Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
squarepants
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
To each his own, but I don't really understand the purpose of a skin or thin case to protect the device. Covering it defeats the purpose of it being stylish, doesn't it? Are you afraid of a few scratches here and there? Why? Resale value? How many of you put bras on your cars? I don't because they are ugly and I enjoy my car looking the way it's supposed to look. I'm not too worried about a few stone chips here and there. Besides, oem replacement parts are readily available and in most cases for less money than you would pay for a case and holster.
I used to think like this. Until I once put my BB in my pocked with my keys. As luck would have it, my key gouged a scratch on the screen that mad it very hard to read messages from time to time. So I now use a screen protector (forgot the brand, whatever they had at Best Buy) and replace it every few months. I do this only so I can stick the 'berry in my pocket every now and then when I don't want to use the holster.

I agree with those that say you cannot be overly-obsessed with protecting your BB. Its not going in a museum! You're most likely going to toss it after 1-2 years.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #22
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarepants View Post
I used to think like this. Until I once put my BB in my pocked with my keys. As luck would have it, my key gouged a scratch on the screen that mad it very hard to read messages from time to time. So I now use a screen protector (forgot the brand, whatever they had at Best Buy) and replace it every few months. I do this only so I can stick the 'berry in my pocket every now and then when I don't want to use the holster.

I agree with those that say you cannot be overly-obsessed with protecting your BB. Its not going in a museum! You're most likely going to toss it after 1-2 years.
my friend this is exactly what i did with my 8703e, same exact situation but it fell down the toilet and the screen protector from best buy didn't save it. i just use the leather cover if i throw it in with some keys.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #23
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

For my own personal level of OCD, I have a Seidio hybrid case and an Invisible Shield screen protector. It's for re-sale value. It's because I'm crazy and hate for my phone to not look brand new every single moment I own it. Because I'm a klutz and drop my phone trying to grab it when it rings. Or it falls out of my jacket pocket.

It's not rational but it makes me happy. And having taken apart BBs in the past I'd rather not do it again to replace housing because I dropped it and didn't have a case on. I don't keep phones long enough to risk voiding the warranty doing that, either.

It works for me. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #24
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
For my own personal level of OCD, I have a Seidio hybrid case and an Invisible Shield screen protector. It's for re-sale value. It's because I'm crazy and hate for my phone to not look brand new every single moment I own it. Because I'm a klutz and drop my phone trying to grab it when it rings. Or it falls out of my jacket pocket.

It's not rational but it makes me happy. And having taken apart BBs in the past I'd rather not do it again to replace housing because I dropped it and didn't have a case on. I don't keep phones long enough to risk voiding the warranty doing that, either.

It works for me. Thanks.
lol, that was kind of funny, yeah different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #25
cmguerra77

Model: 8300
PIN: TS of Guinness
Carrier: AT&T

I have a soft skin case and a rigged an old Palm Z31 screen protector to fit my BB. The skin is great, but the screen protector is taking a beating. The good news is that I can take it off and replace it with a new one when I want
Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #26
Junk King

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido

best place to buy this protection?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #27
heymangonzo

Model: 8820
Carrier: Vodafone Netherlands

I have a safe in a cellar of my house in a gated community. My 8820 never gets schratched, touched, enjoyed or used. But blimey, its in mint condition!

Naw, just use the holster when necesary and have insurance on it.

Last edited by heymangonzo; 02-12-2008 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Less than mediocre spelling capabilities
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #28
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymangonzo View Post
I have a safe in a cellar of my house in a gated community. My 8820 never gets schratched, touched, enjoyed or used. But blimey, its in mint condition!

Naw, just use the holster when necesary and have insurance on it.
lol, do they sell that online?
Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #29
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I bought a case that was transparent on the front, but it interfered with some of the keys and I hated it. I should have sent it back. I use the holster when it's in my purse, otherwise it's in the open. I like to be able to see it.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #30
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

No after-market protection... just the case or holster that comes with BB . . . I want my devices to get beaten up to justify a replacement when the new model comes around. . .
Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #31
bbkat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Quote:
To each his own, but I don't really understand the purpose of a skin or thin case to protect the device. Covering it defeats the purpose of it being stylish, doesn't it? Are you afraid of a few scratches here and there? Why? Resale value? How many of you put bras on your cars? I don't because they are ugly and I enjoy my car looking the way it's supposed to look. I'm not too worried about a few stone chips here and there. Besides, oem replacement parts are readily available and in most cases for less money than you would pay for a case and holster.
BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! Well spoken! I agree totally! When I wear my diamond ring, I don't hide the diamond behind layers of protective covers because I'm afraid of dust and scratches, and it cost a heck of a lot more than my BB, so why even go there! That's just my (twisted?) rational reasoning, but it's cool to know I'm not the only one.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Well you are an Auburn fan so we understand irrational thought...lol J/K

I hate the pocket cases I use a belt clip and I like my device to stay looking nice as well but once it gets the first scratch all bets are off I usually don't worry about it any more.

I have been more protective over the new 8130 than I have any other phone I have ever owned for some reason.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #33
DankBerry

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

i just picked up the oem soft skin case as well as some screen protectors, see how this works

that invisible shield tho is crazy, i might have to get that regardless.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #34
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

fear always makes people do irrational things.... its the best way to sell something, selling through fear and giving a people false sense of security is amazing. fear of scratching your phone ....hmmm... maybe its rooted deeper then that in our society... for example...

lets raise the US Security level to code red and run home lock our doors around election time, lets tell everyone y2k will be a total havoc an buy a bunch of cans of soup, news makes a big deal about snow even though its snows every winter around here......

ok its a bit of a stretch

lol
Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #35
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130

Quote:
Good rant... But you're still clinically insane.

I agree about the cosmetic comments generally (leaving out the screen). I've never sold a used phone before, always went to my kids or to recyling, so looks are irrelevant to me. My motivation is avoiding any down-time due to damage/loss, and the fact that I HATE HATE HATE (yes, I need counseling) any scratches on a screen...I fixate on them to the exclusion of anything else on the display when they are present.

My costs:

Silicone skin = $9
Screen protector = $5

I use the silicone skin (in order of importance):

1. To make it more comfortable to hold the Pearl and make it much less likely that I will drop it. The skin covers the very smooth/slick surface with a nice smooth yet grippy feel that I prefer. I've dropped stuff into oceans, lakes, puddles, pavement, toilets, etc., so a good grip (on what is a small phone in my hands) is critical to me.

I holstered my last phone naked (the phone, not me ) for a year, and had too many drops, resulting in problems w/the phone. Decided to not head down that path again.

2. To reduce the likelihood of damage when (not if) I drop it. I don't need any down time, and the skin provides some cushion that reduces damage due to dropping.

3. Because I actually like the looks of the Pearl better w/the black skin...the silver looks terribly boring to me.

As for the screen protector, already discussed above. I just can't stand scratches on my displays...'nuff said.

Hope that helps you understand some of us on the other side.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #36
pierre15208
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100 Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

When I bought my pearl, the t mobile rep thru in two of their gel skins for 10 bucks and that's what I use. Provides extra grip. And keeps the BB sliding off inclined surfaces. No screen protectors.
http://moonlightscribbler.blogspot.com

Last edited by pierre15208; 02-14-2008 at 09:46 AM..
Old 02-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #37
PhillyGuy

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

Seidio screen protector and their Rubberized case (for extended batt). I carry it in a Nite-Ize case that has a few extra pockets. One of the pockets works as a perfect place for a magnet to activate the sleeper.

I use the rubberized case to enhance the grip of the pearl. It feels a little slippery for me. The Nite-Ize case simply will not come off my belt. That's important for me as I go out into the field on construction sites and do not want my phone to end up in a trench somewhere.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #38
color_copies

Model: 8310
PIN: 2429D00E

I just use the holster, cause if i use the skin and keep it in my pocket the track ball will collect dirt, lint, dust, etc.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #39
elcahall

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
I use a full body protector (Invisible Shield). The only damage I've ever had from dropping my BB's are small scratches that are generally preventable with one of these skins.
I have a new Pearl and want to keep it looking nice. I've used Inivisble Shield screen protectors on GPSs and digicams and highly recommend them, but don't have any experience with any of their full body protector line. How well do they fit onto a BB, especially with their rounded corners, keypad, etc? Is there any overlaps or wrinkles/tucks that have to be made to get it to fit? I've watched the installation video that shows one being applied to an iPod but it's not a very good demonstration as you can't see the small details of it being applied.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #40
itsj
Thumbs Must Hurt

an all new replacement shell/case for your blackberry costs about 10-20 bucks whats the points of putting a piece or rubber plastic over your screen to gather lint, when you can get the original shell/casing for that cheap. warranty won't be voided just hang on to original casing in case.

here is the link to the oem faceplates.

8110/8120/8130 - Acer, Panasonic, LG, HTC, Dopod/O2, Samsung, SonyEricsson, NEC, BlackBerry, Tool
Closed Thread