BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #41
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

The only reason Apple is putting out an SDK is because of the negative reaction. ATT can't even move the things now

Really?? Somehow I don't think Jobs is worried. Its been out how long and has sold how many??

From Wired

* 1,119,000 iPhones, bringing cumulative fiscal 2007 sales to 1,389,000. Oppenheimer also said that Apple saw $118 million in revenue share from AT&T iPhone sales.

"Apple ended the fiscal year with $15.4 billion in cash and no debt," he said. "Looking ahead to the first quarter of fiscal 2008, we expect revenue of about $9.2 billion..." This, on the heels of strong iPod sales here in the U.S. and as the iPhone prepares for its international launch.

I sure many companies would love to have these numbers.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #42
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

To date they have already sold more than 4 million iPhones. In contrast, there are over 11 million BlackBerry users. But consider how little time Apple has been selling the iPhone. It's not hard to imagine Apple outselling RIM in the next year at this pace.

The question is, can they keep up the pace, or even accelerate it. I have no idea, but if you watch the quarter by quarter results, you'll gain some insights into that answer. So far, it looks to be building momentum.

Alex
Old 02-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #43
pierre15208
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100 Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

According to MarketWatch, Apple is selling a lot of iPhones, but many of them aren't being activated on ATT. As Apple gets a cut of every iPhone subscription ATT sells, this has to be a concern for SteveCo.

http://www2.marketwatch.com/palm/marketwatch/story.asp?guid=%7B9C9F987C-D4CC-47D4-A423-1A63D46C6FAA%7D
http://moonlightscribbler.blogspot.com
Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #44
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
To date they have already sold more than 4 million iPhones. In contrast, there are over 11 million BlackBerry users. But consider how little time Apple has been selling the iPhone. It's not hard to imagine Apple outselling RIM in the next year at this pace.

The question is, can they keep up the pace, or even accelerate it. I have no idea, but if you watch the quarter by quarter results, you'll gain some insights into that answer. So far, it looks to be building momentum.

Alex
I'm not sure about that. Blackberry built their current user base with very little marketing. It's only now that bb has started to advertise to the consumer space. In contrast, Apple is a marketing giant and may never have any presence in the commercial space. The iPhone is restricted to one carrier, where bb is available through just about all of them. As carriers and bb beef up their consumer advertising, bb will continue to grow in user count. There is no way Apple will continue the pace of sales with the iPhone. Every new Apple product comes with a huge sale in the first couple of months after release, then sales per day start to drop.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #45
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

The iPhone is restricted to one carrier

For now. The AT&T deal was the foot in the door. After that contract is done who knows. And like one poster stated, its only version 1.0.
And as a benefit to us BB users, RIM will evolve as a result of the iphone, copying many of its features and adding it to the already excellent BB platform.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #46
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

PIN: 2434CB8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
I'm not sure about that. Blackberry built their current user base with very little marketing. It's only now that bb has started to advertise to the consumer space. In contrast, Apple is a marketing giant and may never have any presence in the commercial space. The iPhone is restricted to one carrier, where bb is available through just about all of them. As carriers and bb beef up their consumer advertising, bb will continue to grow in user count. There is no way Apple will continue the pace of sales with the iPhone. Every new Apple product comes with a huge sale in the first couple of months after release, then sales per day start to drop.
I'm not sure either. Which is why I saw it's best to watch the quarterly results and see if volumes are increasing steadily or not.

-Alex
Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #47
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
The iPhone is restricted to one carrier

For now. The AT&T deal was the foot in the door. After that contract is done who knows. And like one poster stated, its only version 1.0.
And as a benefit to us BB users, RIM will evolve as a result of the iphone, copying many of its features and adding it to the already excellent BB platform.
If I'm not mistaken I believe that AT&T has a 5 year exclusive deal with Apple for the iPhone. I have to think that by the end of that deal we will have seen a new version of the iPhone released.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #48
squarepants
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

As the next generation of iPhones comes into the market it will be important to keep an eye on the number of iPhones in use, not sold. Apple afficionados have been known to simply collect devices. Also, the Apple marketbase is more likely to replace their phones sooner as they are prone to own the "shiniest" devices.

While this may be good for Apple's bottom line, number of units sold may not tell the whole store about acceptance and market penetration of the iPhone. It may well be that at 4 million units sold, the market for iPhones is close to saturation and that sales growth will be much slower in the future. There IS a reason why Apple's stock has tanked in the past month.

That said, simply based on Apple's iPod record and its tremendous marketing (read hype) machine, I would not bet against Apple (yet).
Old 02-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #49
tgeekb
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2448FC02

Apple sells more than just the iPhone. They do not have to necessarily outsell other phones because of their computer and iPod lines. Just like the iPod has helped them sell computers, having a cell phone now adds to their arsenal. Love them or hate them, you have to admit they are a marketing machine.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #50
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post

Alex
Iphone just went international and BB has gotten more serious about it, so that'll be an interesting test. I expect Iphone to have an edge there.

But I also think comparing total sales of the Iphone to current users of BB ignores all the BB users who've traded up from older models. Total sales for all BB is a lot higher than 11 million.

Iphone has no upgrade option yet. A good portion of those 11 million BB users will be replacing their devices with new BB's in the next few years.

With Iphone, I can see a lot of upgrades to their next device, but beyond that what can they really add to keep that upgrade cycle going? If it were already 3G and fixed a lot of the things users complain about, who would get the next one? That's the situation after the next one. Mostly sales to new users I think.

Meanwhile, Nokia has some pretty impressive new models. GPS and all kinds of bells and whistles. If push email weren't keeping me stuck to BB, I'd be thinking Nokia instead of Iphone as my next phone.
Closed Thread