Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
hogan21

Model: 8703
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Blackberry VS IPhone

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering if anybody had a blackberry and switched to a Iphone. I have a blackberry and i love it, but the iphone looks really good too. Or did somebody get an iphone and wished they kept there bb. thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

First, welcome to the BBF.

it is all personal opinion. You will find both camps here, Those who had one and ran screaming to BB, and some who have both. The iPhone is great for internet browsing and viewing.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ghlight=iPhone
http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...ghlight=iPhone
Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

I switched to the iphone phone about a week ago. Prior to that I had the 8830 on Sprint. Overall I like the iphone better. It really does depend on what you want though. The iphone is a great multimedia device. It has a great internet browser, the best out there. It is an ipod. It plays youtube videos, you may not think its a big deal, I didn't, until I found myself sitting around with nothing to do at work. It was good to kill about 30 minutes or so. The full HTML email is nice as well.

Now the areas where I liked the BB better. Network speed, EDGE sucks, I miss my EVDO on Sprint. Keyboard, the BB is slightly better then the touch keyboard of the iphone. The iphone keyboard really isn't that bad and it certainly is easier then suretype, but the full QWERTY on my 8830 was better. Notifications. When you get an email on the iphone phone, you get a weak sounding tone which half of the time you can't hear. I liked being able to assign different alerts to different email accounts on the BB. Changing it on the iphone would be a simple software upgrade by Apple, but as of now its weak.

Overall I'm very happy with my iphone as I like the multimedia features of the device. If you want that then I recommend the iphone (though it looks as if RIM is heading in that direction as well, give it a year or so). If you just want a solid device with a phone, basic organizer functions and plain jane email then stick with the BB.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 03-01-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Similar to the other reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
plain jane email then stick with the BB.
plain jane email? not with one of the HTML viewer apps. But then again, BB email is faster and more seamless to receive and view without all that html coding and images.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Similar to the other reviews.

plain jane email? not with one of the HTML viewer apps. But then again, BB email is faster and more seamless to receive and view without all that html coding and images.
True, but since most email now has either rich text or html in it, the stock viewer is plain. I will give you its faster, but personally I would rather get the email as it was intended.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

The updated OS has pretty cool email viewing. Not the most graphic intense, but much easier to read.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
shawn1899
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

don't do it,,, stick with the blackberry. I had the Iphone for 4 days and it was cool but the blackberry just does email and everyday functions better. I couldnt get the hang of the Iphone keyboard either. Battery life on the Iphone is bad in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
The updated OS has pretty cool email viewing. Not the most graphic intense, but much easier to read.
Never got a chance to see that, heard it was better.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
Papa-Pompous
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 31AE1088
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

A friend of mine had the Iphone and loved it, but I DO NOT like touch screen. Absolutely hate them. Such a bother. I love the track ball on the BBP and the sure type is freakin awesome once you get the hang of it. And with the growing memory cards you won't have to buy a whole new phone to upgrade memory. The Iphone does support a cool browser but I don't like it when it brings up the keyboard. I like the keyboard separate from the screen, but maybe thats just me. I really truly love my black berry pearl. Thinking spoiling myself with a 12 GB card for it.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

The iPhone has the best mobile browser; BlackBerrys don't have Safari--yeah t'was made that way b/c that's the only thing that keeps BlackBerrys from perfection. Y'know if browsing was a no-issue on a BB, then we would have broken the c in E=mc^2
Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Question of the year: How many different but totally redundant "BlackBerry vs iPhone" threads can exist on BBF at the same time?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
juliohaynie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA6EAF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Not again...
Old 03-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #13
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Question of the year: How many different but totally redundant "BlackBerry vs iPhone" threads can exist on BBF at the same time?
How many Steve Jobs aka "the Jobster(s)" can dance on the head of a pin?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
cwosigns
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9300

I've been a BlackBerry user for several years. I got an iPhone last October; I'm a diehard Mac fan. It's a great device. Great screen, music & videos, best browser on a mobile device ever. The email was even pretty good for a while (Yahoo Push Mail suddenly stopped pushing and no one could tell me why). But BlackBerry email just works and if it stops working, you know it'll be fixed. I ended up buying a Curve and I switch phones as my wants/needs change. If I wanna leave work behind for a bit, I use the iPhone. If I want to be connected via push email, IM, Facebook...I use the Curve. Since I got the Curve, I haven't used the iPhone. But it's only been a week and a half.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #15
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???

Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you want a toy get an iphone for everyrhing else a berry
Old 03-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #16
stlduckhunter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
When are we going to get the "updated" OS?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogan21 View Post
Just wondering if anybody had a blackberry and switched to a Iphone. I have a blackberry and i love it, but the iphone looks really good too. Or did somebody get an iphone and wished they kept there bb. thanks

There was a post some time ago from someone who used the BB SIM chip in his new Iphone. Not sure if it's does work well but do a search and read the post. Both phones were on ATT
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If you want a toy get an iphone for everyrhing else a berry
Thank you for your completely unbiased opinion.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #19
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???

Quote:
Thank you for your completely unbiased opinion.
yw
Old 03-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #20
arazu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
True, but since most email now has either rich text or html in it, the stock viewer is plain. I will give you its faster, but personally I would rather get the email as it was intended.
As it was intended? Do you mean morons who add backgrounds, odd fonts, animated signatures, etc?

I would say BB is better for business. iPhone is good for personal use. Its like Vista vs. XP. No corporation in their right mind would use Vista but its fine for home use. Still not up to par for home use though.
Closed Thread