BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #21
AlanChase

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

Perhaps slightly off-topic, or not, but is it possible to use this solution to auto-forward email from my corporate Lotus Notes account to a T-Mobile Blackberry? Thanks...
Old 09-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #22
vinniet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNO
I may be overly suspicious, but the way the notice is written leads me to believe there's a lot of spin going on. The changes do appear to benefit users of Yahoo, which is apparently TMO's new service of choice. As others have pointed out, though, there might actually be a net loss of function for those of us using different setups, particularly forwarding to the [email address] account.
Why do you think they are removing the ability to forward email to [email address]?? I never saw anything mentioned about that.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:38 AM   #23
Steve

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I haven't had a problem with the e-mail functions of BWC, forwarding / popping, etc. If there's any improvement to be done to make BWC/BIS more BES-like, give us ability to send and receive appointments (and tasks)!

FWIW: Have two POP3 accounts to my Outlook2003 on my home computer. I use auto-forward on (account1) to my BB and Auto-BCC to (account2) back to my PC. My Outlook polls both accounts every ten minutes, so I get all of my BB e-mail either way. I don't bother filtering to Sent Items, I keep sent and received together in the same folder, instead of splitting e-mail threads apart.

BTW: Using a different e-mail addy than the carrier.blackberry.net address doesn't hide it from others. Send your PC a message and look up its e-mail header. [email address] address is still the Return-Path, even if the BWC is set to Reply-To alias. I didn't notice this until someone replied from their cellphone's [email address] e-mail, which is apparently programmed to use Return-Paths instead of Reply-To's.

Return-Path: <actual_ID@carrier.blackberry.net>
Received: from smtpXX.bwc.na.blackberry.net ([yyy.yyy.yy.yyy])
by my.pop3account.xxx (Post.Office MTA v3.5.3 release 223
ID# nnnnn.nnnnnn.nnnnnn) with ESMTP id net;
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:36:39 -0500
Received: from engineXX (engineXX.bwc.prod.on.blackberry [xxx.xx.xxx.xx])
by smtpXX.bwc.na.blackberry.net (8.13.1/8.13.0) with SMTP id
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:39:26 GMT
Message-ID:
Reply-To: [email address]
Sensitivity: Normal
Importance: Normal
To: "Friend, Joe" <joe.friend@yyyyy.com>
Subject: Re: HEADER CHECK
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:42:05 +0000 GMT
Content-type: text/plain
MIME-Version: 1.0

Steve
Old 09-09-2005, 03:48 AM   #24
WNO

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet
Why do you think they are removing the ability to forward email to [email address]?? I never saw anything mentioned about that.
I didn't mean to imply that TMO was precluding the ability to forward to our blackberry.net addrs, just that there may be a net loss of functionality for those of us that do. As far as I know, you will still be able to have Gmail, etc, forwarded to your phone. But unless there's a default "sent from" addr, or a feature that sets the right addr for forwarded (and not only integrated) mail, your replies might be from your blackberry.net addr, which is not always desirable. More significantly, because there will be no auto-bcc, it appears that your replies to forwarded mail will not be archived unless you manually copy it to the appropriate acct.

I am, of course, just speculating at this point, as I do not have any information other than the rather vague TMO notice. But assuming the changes are limited to e-mail accts that are actually integrated, I'm going to be disappointed.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:00 AM   #25
WNO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
BTW: Using a different e-mail addy than the carrier.blackberry.net address doesn't hide it from others.
That's a good point; I discovered it by accident, too. But really, it's not that I necessarily need to keep my blackberry.net addr top-secret from recipients savvy enough to notice it; I'm much more concerned about the unsophisticated recipients who will include my addr on their non-bcc'd mailing lists when they forward chain-letter urban legends to all of their friends, and their friends' friends, and ultimately into the hands of well-meaning or not-so-well-meaning spammers.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:45 AM   #26
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

WNO, it is my understanding that you will be able to set your reply addresses from your handheld, or from within the My T-Mobile section. A lot of the functionality that you all seem to be scared of losing won't be lost - it will just be made more convenient to change. For those of us on BES 4.0 that can change our account settings, filters, folder redirection, signatures, etc. on the fly from our handhelds, its a godsend.

To those asking, I would believe that other carriers will be rolling out something similar, as it would seem like this would be a RIM-directed enhancement.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:50 AM   #27
iamchrismullins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

i would kill to have that functionality to be able to change it on the fly...would work out great for the weekends downtime for me now..

hopefully cingular will rollout this new BWC/BIS soon as well.

Been there: PDA/Palm/Handspring/Treo, motorola, nokia, t-mobile, BB 970,975,7100, motorola BK devices
Old 09-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #28
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

I hope they will add some IMAP integration. If I could point it at my IMAP account, I'd have full access to all my mail. A definate plus.

I love the BCC feature. I'm disappointed its going away. It also looks like I have to upgrade to the newest OS, so I hope that doesnt' cause any issues.

If this is a BES, which is sounds like it may be, does it use more bandwidth? I travel alot internationally and I love being able to turn headers only on to save some roaming charges..
Old 09-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #29
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

From the web page
"E-mails sent from your handheld will show the correct "Sent From" e-mail address, even with multiple e-mail accounts consolidated to the BlackBerry device."

So, for all those complaining about the sent from address showing your BlackBerry address, why worry?

EDIT: IMAP integrations are supported with the current version of BIS.

Zro
Old 09-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #30
WNO

jibi, i appreciate your feedback and, as usual, trust your assessment. I guess I'm just without a clue as to what I should expect, and have an unhealthy distrust of the telecom industry. Assuming the best, when I'm originating a new message, I should be able to choose what acct (and thus what "sent from" addr) it is from. Should I also assume that the sent message will be archived at that particular acct (in lieu of the current auto-bcc)? If so, and if I'll be able to set my "sent from" to any address, even one not POP/IMAP integrated, I should be OK. Without those features, I might not be unable to use Hotmail or (non-POP) Gmail as archives or as "sent from" addrs.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #31
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Posted By: jibi

<Snip>

To those asking, I would believe that other carriers will be rolling out something similar, as it would seem like this would be a RIM-directed enhancement.

Posted By: iamchrismullins

hopefully cingular will rollout this new BWC/BIS soon as well.

NO, NO, NO

I don't really understand all the details of new T-mo plan, but having read it I see several problems, especially about the auto deletion of email after thirty days and subsequent loss of attachments. I set up my BIS account specifically as a separate entity. I do NOT want any integration with other accounts. My BB email serves a specific purpose and multiple account integation would defeat that purpose.

What would happen to users in my situation? I would have to set up yet another email account on some ISP for this new method to replace the BIS client. Just what I need.

This might be a good idea for a lot of people, but it should only be an option, not a mandotory replacement

BTW I am with Cingular.

Rcbjr
Old 09-11-2005, 05:36 AM   #32
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

One this I would love to see in the new portal: If there is way to disable a particular account from sending emails to BB. Sometime I travel outside the country or away from work and when I get back, I will get 1000s emails on my BB the moment I turn it on. If there is some kind of checkbox before the forwading email I would be able to disable the email and then I can loging to the regular account and cleanup the just/spam and then enable it back.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:03 AM   #33
revel8tor

Angry T-Mobile Upgrade Problems

I'm very concerned about this upgrade, as I manage about 15 devices in our small company, but we haven't set up MS Exchange or a BES server yet. Our CFO and IT administrator probably won't upgrade for 9-12 months, as we're in the midst of a major operating system upgrade. I'm having to administrate using the web client, which is now being disabled. Also, I personally have tried the BIS account method currently offered with several IMAP accounts (Fastmail.FM, and Fusemail.com) and both will setup in the web client, but neither do anything other forward mail to the Inbox. Sent messages, etc, are not integrated. Also, there is the approximate 15 minute delay for incoming emails. This is DEFINITELY NOT AN UPGRADE!! I view this as a a DOWNGRADE with the removal of AutoBCC. The proposed changes force me to use the lame polling method, and lose immediate forwarding of emails, and no AutoBCC to copy the mail to the appropriate IMAP Inbox folder. I've discussed this problem several times with various service technicians at different levels with TMO customer service, but they are pretty clueless about what actually is being changed, and offer no alternative solutions for my problem, and many others like me who currently forward to their [email address] address and then AutoBCC back to the appropriate mail Inbox. What is really disturbing for me personally, is that I just convinced a very conservative and skeptical management team to allow me to setup my sales force team with 7230's and 7290's, and now I'm not at all confident they'll work satisfactorily after the downgrade on October 2nd. Yahoo may be good for some personal users, but has no IMAP ability, and is useless to me as I've got everybody setup on IMAP servers with Thunderbird, and they all work great now. I would be content if they did away with the web client, as long as I could still use forwarding to the blackberry.net address and continued the AutoBCC feature. I also will lose some of the filtering servers I've got linked as well. I guess we'll find out soon enough how bad this will really be. I'm very disappointed with T-Mobile about this and have let my corporate salesperson know my concerns. I hope they reconsider, or they'll have a revolt by a lot of users if their new method doesn't improve service. I think it is very possible they're doing this to eliminate the web client, because inexperienced users complain about full inboxes and don't know how to clean out or reconcile their email. They may be trying to cut down on calls to the service center.
If it does ends up being fully integrated IMAP email, with the integration of Inbox, Sent Items, and at least Trash, I could live with it, Oh yeah that won't work, because I archive my emails, and they will all be deleted after 30 days. Also, if they're working on true integration, are they going to support folders and subfolders of the Inbox, or is the word "Integration" another false promise proposed to the masses by poorly trained tech support, or worse, misrepresentation. We'll soon find out.
"Revel8tor" 9/12/05
--
New Thread: http://blackberryforums.com/showthre...047#post100047

Last edited by revel8tor; 09-16-2005 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: New Thread
Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #34
kokonutz

Model: 7730

This has got to be the most poorly communicated/planned/explained "upgrade" EVER.

I have always used Yahoo as my primary email address and paid for a yahoo account specifically so I could have the yahoo addressed mail forwarded to the blackberry address. This has been a great solution because I get mail in real time AND I can log onto the BWC when I am at a PC to read email and reply at length and look at photos, etc, etc.

There has never been (nor is there now that I can find) a way to KEEP the mail in the yahoo inbox AND have it forwarded to the blackberry address (as there is with gmail).

At this point, I have no idea what is going to happen with Yahoo based on their "upgrade" information. Can anyone here confirm to me what I suspect but that Yahoo and bberry have not confirmed to me as of yet: that on or before October 2 Yahoo WILL have the option (as gmail does now) of both forwarding AND saving to the yahoo inbox, archive or trash? And do automatic reconciliation with the handheld if desired? (seems like such a simple question, but no one at Yahoo or t-mobile have given me a difinitive answer!!!)

And if the answer is yes, why not allow that capability well before the end of BWC so we can get used to it/ensure proper functionality!??!!?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #35
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

On Oct 2nd when you login to your T-mobile account there will be new options to configure existing email accounts. When you setup a new email account that is on Yahoo, the Blackberry service will get the email for you, automatically from the yahoo account.

You will probably have to manually delete the exisiting pop account for Yahoo.

I agree that T-mobile should have communicated this in a much more efficient manner. We all have to wait till the day the Webclient is gone to see how the new options look on T-mobile.com. Plain silly.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #36
kokonutz

Model: 7730

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo
On Oct 2nd when you login to your T-mobile account there will be new options to configure existing email accounts. When you setup a new email account that is on Yahoo, the Blackberry service will get the email for you, automatically from the yahoo account.

You will probably have to manually delete the exisiting pop account for Yahoo.

I agree that T-mobile should have communicated this in a much more efficient manner. We all have to wait till the day the Webclient is gone to see how the new options look on T-mobile.com. Plain silly.
I guess I will take this on faith, then. But as you say, how does it make ANY sense to make the go-live date the final date for the legacy system??

And, yo, RIM and T-Mob, how about getting someone who understands that we do not know everything that YOU know to write the upgrade notice?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:04 PM   #37
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I guess I will take this on faith, then. But as you say, how does it make ANY sense to make the go-live date the final date for the legacy system??
It doesn't.

Quote:

And, yo, RIM and T-Mob, how about getting someone who understands that we do not know everything that YOU know to write the upgrade notice?
The Blackberry webclient was never very high on the priorities list of RIM, it is a solution put together on a rainy afternoon that happened to work most of the time and helped create 1000's of new subscribers. The notice was probably put together by an intern on yet anothe rainy afternoon.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:42 AM   #38
js7730

Carrier: T-Mo

The announcement discusses downloading new software to your particular BB to help this process along (and frankly, I don't know what the new software will / will not do). Checking the T-Mobile download web site, it only has Windows-based downloads. I have a Mac. Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2005, 03:11 AM   #39
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

Thoughts. You will need to access a PC to upgrade. Thoughts End.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:42 AM   #40
js7730

Carrier: T-Mo

OK, so I need a PC. Next two questions. I use Pocketmac to synch my Mac MS Mac Entourage Contacts, Calendar and Notes to my BB 7730. (1) What software programs (besides the T-Mobile BB Upgrade download) would I need on a PC to do the upgrade? (2) Would these software program(s) erase or muck up the Entourage Contacts, Calendar and Notes on my BB?

Also, T-Mobile's info on the upgrade includes something that I do not understand / can't seem to get to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mobile
Account settings can now be managed directly from the handheld or through My T-Mobile. Once you log in to My T-Mobile, click the link titled Set Up BlackBerry Internet E-mail.
How do you access settings from the handheld?
When I log in to My T-Mobile (which knows that I am using a BB7730, there is no mention of Set Up Blackberry Email. Anyone have any guidance on how this works (or does not work)?

Last edited by js7730; 09-24-2005 at 01:28 PM..
Closed Thread