BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #21
doni
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

wow, thanks so much for furthering development of this product! now that Rove has stopped caring about the little guy, there don't seem to be any other options out there. unfortunately, i'm having the same problem with this build as with the last official build: SSH won't connect to a VMware ESX server. Connects, negotiating... nothing. server logs just show nothing after the initial connection. it can connect to an RHEL box via SSH, so it's not inherent to the app. and i could connect to ESX from Rove, when i demoed it months back. any ideas?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #22
duckman

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Cool. The XK72 builds of midpssh wouldn't download and install on my 8320 (4.5.0.102). This worked first time, and wifi works!!! Nice job!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #23
AngryGuy

Model: 8330
Post ModpSSH on BlackBerry 4.5 OS

Great additions for sure, Thanks! Has anyone had success on MidpSSH on BB OS version 4.5? It worked flawlessly on 4.3 and now has a session error "Failed to transmit" or a timeout. I am hoping this is not another carrier (Verizon) block. I am also working against BES v4.0. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #24
AngryGuy

Sorry, Typo on last, I obviously meant "MidpSSH on Blackberry 4.5"
Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
AngryGuy

Answered my own question. Works fine on Blackberry O/S v4.5 on a Curve 8330. The trouble I had was with the BES 4.0 server. Tunneling was blocked as the MDS service had unexpectedly shut down.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #26
cmiller33

I am having a very similar issue to Spatton. I have not been able to connect to any Cisco device (router and switch). I connect, but the session then terminates. I am using an 8330 on Verizon network, 4.5 OS. Also am connecting thru a BES, not sure what version that is. I have tried MidpSSH 1.7.3, the original 1.7.4, and now the second beta release.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #27
KeyLoveMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller33 View Post
I am having a very similar issue to Spatton. I have not been able to connect to any Cisco device (router and switch). I connect, but the session then terminates. I am using an 8330 on Verizon network, 4.5 OS. Also am connecting thru a BES, not sure what version that is. I have tried MidpSSH 1.7.3, the original 1.7.4, and now the second beta release.

Anyone have any advice?
I had some issues getting MidpSSH to connect to my Linux box. I had to change the setting in MidpSSH to tell it to use SSHv2 instead of the default of v1. I also recall on one machine I had to tell the SSH stack to accept keyboard-interactive logins or something like that.

I don't currently have MidpSSH on my phone, or I'd tell you exactly where the setting is.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #28
TheWitness

Model: Storm
Default 1.7.4 Beta Not Working on Storm

I have BES and was able to connect to my internal servers with 1.7.3. But now with 1.7.4, I see a connection taking place, but no negotiation and authentication going on. I tested TCP/IP, BES, and Default without success. BlackBerry 9350. What am I doing wrong?

TheWitness
Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #29
mssmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni View Post
SSH won't connect to a VMware ESX server. Connects, negotiating... nothing. server logs just show nothing after the initial connection. it can connect to an RHEL box via SSH, so it's not inherent to the app. and i could connect to ESX from Rove, when i demoed it months back. any ideas?
You may have found a solution by now...

I added 3des-cbc to my /etc/ssh/sshd_config file
Ciphers aes256-cbc,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc

Then restarted sshd
/etc/init.d/sshd restart

Worked like a champ after.

-M
Old 12-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #30
kostas

Model: Bold
Carrier: GCI

Very nice work, runs absolutely great on my podunk carrier.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #31
b:z

Model: 9000
PIN: outage power
Carrier: local

Wirelessly posted

Great work. I am looking for ssh solution on my bb Bold. Mobilessh project was end and will not be available.
Thanks man.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #32
victorbrca

Model: 8310
PIN: 206B7448
Carrier: Robbers

I'm having a hard time to connect to a Ubuntu box. I get two error messages:

=> Error 1
- Error Message:
Session Error
Writer: Tunnel failed
- Settings
. SSH2
. Connection type - Default
. Public key on or off

=> Error 2
- Error Message:
"Session Error
Reader: java.io.IOException: could not connect to <hostname:22>
at
net.rim.utility.transport.tcp.nio.TCPChannel.conne ct(TCPChannel.java:168)
at
net.rim.protocol.iplayer.connection.handler.device .defaulthandlernio.Core.startChannel.(Core.java:12 3)
at"
(I can't scroll down to see the rest)
- Settings
. SSH2
. Connection type - BIS-B
. Public key on or off

Any ideas??

Vic.

###########
EDIT
###########

Got it working!!

For Rogers BIS users, make sure that you add "internet.com" under "Options=>Advanced Options=>TCP=>APN"

Vic.

Last edited by victorbrca; 01-19-2009 at 05:57 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #33
sadohert

Model: 8700r

This solved the problem for me too. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
fiestito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: ice

I'm using the development version of the app website, its working good with my 8100 and edge, but i really hate the first capital letter business.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #35
sadohert

Model: 8700r

I second that. Its great to have, but turning off the auto text stuff for that command entry field would be perfect.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #36
tuc

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Problems with publickey

I'm trying to use 1.7.4 (I think its the Beta 2) to get to a server that only allows keys. I see :

Connecting to (SERVER):8022...OK
Negotiating...OK
ssh-dss (KEY)
Requesting authentication
Sent publickey
Sent password (FYI: My password field is blank)
Start keyboard-interactive
Authentication failed
Available methods are: publickey

And it doesn't let me on... Any ideas how to track/debug this?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #37
doni

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssmith View Post
You may have found a solution by now...

I added 3des-cbc to my /etc/ssh/sshd_config file
Ciphers aes256-cbc,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc

Then restarted sshd
/etc/init.d/sshd restart

Worked like a champ after.

-M
brilliant, that did it! thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #38
res

Default Key Store

I have midpssh installed on a Bold.

Question: where does midpssh store the keys? I assumed that it was in the key store but it seems not as midpssh continues to access the keys in spite of my efforts to secure the store.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #39
stang_1967

Carrier: verizon
Exclamation Cisco Devices and SSH

I can access my cisco devices when they are using ssh version 1. If I disable ssh version 1 on the routers and switches then I can not use Midpssh anymore. I get connected but during the negociation process I get disconnected. I did change the ssh setting to ssh2.

Any Ideas?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #40
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asskick View Post
Latest: 1.7.4 beta2
http://ota.deltatech.com.mx/
I have a paid copy of Rove MobileSSH (paid before I worked for them for a year a few years ago). Although I don't work for them anymore, I must say I am dissapointed at their decisions. Now it has been more than 2 years since I worked for them, so I think it's safe for me to open up.

Good work on making a better version of midpssh for BlackBerry. I want to see more BlackBerry-specific enhancements sometime -- including an options screen with configurable font sizes as well as a similiar autohide edit buffer as Rove MobileSSH -- maybe you should publish the GNU-copylefted source code?

I am extremely familiar with this type of terminal programming. I worked with serial/ANSI/VT100/VT102/VT220 escape codes from early 1990's writing my own doors for BBS systems (old-fashioned consumer online bulletin board systems, before Internet became popular), including SuperChatter, a color version of a UNIX-like 'talk' split screen, but for DOS BBS systems, and it was so advanced that it behaved like a split screen text editor (sysop edits top half, user edits bottom half - cursor up/down/left/right/insert/delete/scroll/etc), which requires me to have very advanced knowledge of ANSI/VT escape codes to pull this off with maximum compatibility with end users' displays. I used this knowledge to help the original developer massively improve Rove (formerly Idokorro) MobileSSH's support, even though I was officially working on other Idokorro projects, though I originally joined Idokorro partially because I was very impressed with their MobileSSH/telnet software. I wrote an ANSI escape codes testing suite for the MobileSSH developer at Idokorro, which was used to verify a lot of things -- including scroll-related codes (Esc[nn@ Esc[nnP Esc[nnM etc...) which was used to greatly improve performance in text editors running over terminals, extensions I had used for my split-screen chat program that was editable.

Either way, my services are available, if any corporation wants help to release a telnet/ssh program into the upcoming BlackBerry App Center. (Tho, paid apps, can't use GPL copyleft open source code, for obvious reasons) Now that there is no paid competition in any standalone telnet/ssh apps, the time is ripe for a new company to fill this void. Or to turn this free app into something *better* than Rove MobileSSH. Right now, while better than before, this midpssh isn't yet as good as MobileSSH which I still use to this day as an end-user (In some cases, it is still possible to reactivate it by phone or email, if you already have a paid MobileSSH registration like I have)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-25-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Closed Thread