BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint
Default 8100 She' going back to Tmob tomorrow! mini review.

Please Login to Remove!

I dig this phone. I really do. But! I dig my Mac more. I really gotta say that although Tmobil still feels slow compared to the 7130e I tried in the Sprint store, the Pearl is a fun, efficient, phone.

Being my first BB, I know that won't hold a lot or any wait with those of you that are on their 3rd or 4th phones, but I can't afford to let my 30 day money back return policy lapse waiting for pocketmac. All of my searching on this board makes it all to clear that PocketMac may or may not land and when it does it may or may not work.

I loved the push email. The screen is nice and bright. Sure type has quite the learning curve but I could do it if it were a sprint phone with that evdo speed as a nice carrot. It would be worth the work.

I'm totally sold on the BB line. I come from the treo 650 p. I use the awful missing sync software. Just lousy. Plus their customer support is all email and pathetic at best.

Kind of why I'm not willing to real world beta test the pocketmac. If the pocketmac 3 would have worked I might have rationalized the extra cell line just for the awesome BB functionality then when PM4 came out it would have most likely been a move from "okay" to "better," sync software wise.

So, I'm gonna take her back tomorrow and keep lurking and hoping that Sprint gets either the Pearl or the 8703e.

Either way I know a BB is in my future again. It's more about lack of Mac support and Tmobil not being my carrier of choice than the phone it self.

8100 or 8703e. Come to sprint!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5
I dig this phone. I really do. But! I dig my Mac more. I really gotta say that although Tmobil still feels slow compared to the 7130e I tried in the Sprint store, the Pearl is a fun, efficient, phone.

Being my first BB, I know that won't hold a lot or any wait with those of you that are on their 3rd or 4th phones, but I can't afford to let my 30 day money back return policy lapse waiting for pocketmac. All of my searching on this board makes it all to clear that PocketMac may or may not land and when it does it may or may not work.

I loved the push email. The screen is nice and bright. Sure type has quite the learning curve but I could do it if it were a sprint phone with that evdo speed as a nice carrot. It would be worth the work.

I'm totally sold on the BB line. I come from the treo 650 p. I use the awful missing sync software. Just lousy. Plus their customer support is all email and pathetic at best.

Kind of why I'm not willing to real world beta test the pocketmac. If the pocketmac 3 would have worked I might have rationalized the extra cell line just for the awesome BB functionality then when PM4 came out it would have most likely been a move from "okay" to "better," sync software wise.

So, I'm gonna take her back tomorrow and keep lurking and hoping that Sprint gets either the Pearl or the 8703e.

Either way I know a BB is in my future again. It's more about lack of Mac support and Tmobil not being my carrier of choice than the phone it self.

8100 or 8703e. Come to sprint!

I hear you, but let me tell you that I sync my Powerbook G4 running OS 10.4.7 and using iCal & Address Book with my BB 8700g and have little or no issue. I also came over from a Palm Treo 650 after being on the Palm OS since its inception. The Palm OS is just plain limited and unstable at this point, but I appreciate that it was first. I have over 2000 contacts on my 8700g and a very active calendar...I love its speed, unbelieveably bright screen, and a stable OS that deilvers email flawlessly.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclyffe
I hear you, but let me tell you that I sync my Powerbook G4 running OS 10.4.7 and using iCal & Address Book with my BB 8700g and have little or no issue. I also came over from a Palm Treo 650 after being on the Palm OS since its inception. The Palm OS is just plain limited and unstable at this point, but I appreciate that it was first. I have over 2000 contacts on my 8700g and a very active calendar...I love its speed, unbelieveably bright screen, and a stable OS that deilvers email flawlessly.

I completely agree! As soon as Sprint release 87xx or 81xx OR PocketMac gets a real 4.0 that really works. I may be back even at the Tmobil.

Thanks for responding, though. I'm envious. 2000 contacts! Impressive.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
InspectorGadget

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Sprint? Yuk!

I would do just about anything to stay away from Sprint. I had them before swithcing to VoiceStream (purchased by T-Mobile) and also had Sprint for the last year after being seduced by a Treo 650. A partial list of my grievances include:

When I first got my Treo, there was a problem with my bluetooth. I bought three different headsets knowing that the Treo's bluetooth was a bit flakey. I finally determinted that the problem was the Bluetooth antenna a couple of days after my DOA period and I was pretty much told to pound sand by the useless staff at the Sprint store (the need to go the the Sprint store to resolve many issues is reason enough to stay away from these guys).

When I converted my account from corporate to personal, they charged me for two lines. After I got them to cancel the mistaken line, they threatened to cut off my service for not paying my full (overcharged) bill in full when I had paid the part I owed.

Their customer support people are nice, but completely dis-empowered from doing their jobs. Tim Kelly, their current President of Customer Management has come up through the ranks in the customer service side for years. Their customer support system is set up to prevent revenue loss from deadbeats, not care for good customers. Their service agents appologize for the bad service, and say they're trying to make it better but there are no changes at the top.

Bottom line, Sprint does not have enough redeeming features for anyone to want to be their customer, especially when signing a two year contract, which is all they offer.

On the other hand, I loved TMO the entire time I was with them.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
boosting1bar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

If you've got an Intel Mac you can use Fusion as a reliable, stable sync platform. I was having the same feelings as you until I found this combo and got it working....works like a charm!
Closed Thread