Old 02-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
kitmoni
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint
Default 8700 / BES Issues

Please Login to Remove!

This could have probably gone in either BES Admin or here, but I thought I would try here. A little history is probably needed before getting to the real problem(s)...

Just moved to an 8700c from a Sprint 7250. Very happy with Blackberry overall, and wanted the new device. Corporate client, we had a deal, Sprint won't tell you when new models are coming, so I switched. We are a Notes shop (did I mention that Notes sucks?), and we wirelessly sync calendars and email, but manually sync contacts. BTW, I do have a ticket open to talk with my IT Dept. about each of these issues, but with 50,000+ employees and a growing BB population, I felt this might be quicker.

PROBLEM 1: Conversion was easy, just plugged in, said yes to change to the new PIN, and away I went. However, my Cingular browser vanished and was replaced with a blackberry browser. I tested the Cingular browser on a few sites (including BBF) before connecting to the desktop, so I know that a browser was working at one time. The blackberry browser that replaced my Cingular browser has the old bookmarks I had with my Sprint 7250 (interesting). But the problem is, I can't surf anything. I get a 400 error, which I know is either APN or gateway related. I seem to recall IT telling me when I installed the 7250 that they didn't provide a browser, that I would have to use whatever was on my phone. On the 7250 I was able to browse after being BES connected. Is there a way to make my [new or old] browser work? I checked, the old one is gone, not just hidden (no apps are hidden right now).

PROBLEM 2: I use both the BES email and BIS email on my device. On the 7250 both types of email were delivered, and when I composed a message, I could scroll to the top and select whether to send from the BES (secure), or from Web Client. On the new device, I'm not given that option. Is this a service book issue? I'm getting BIS mail on the new device, I just can't send with it.

PROBLEM 3: On the 7250 there was no password policy pushed to me. That's the way I like it. I understand the security of password locking the units, but it's really difficult for a user - particularly since 30 minutes is the longest time out available. Once I moved to the 8700c, suddenly there was a password policy pushed to me. Somewhat inconvenient, but curious. I am on the same BES server (we have many) I was before, synchronizing to the same Notes account. How does a policy like that get changed by changing devices?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me on these three issues. BTW, I am VERY happy with the 8700. I was always happy with my 7250, and I'm impressed with some of the improvements of OS 4.1, and the screen is MUCH better.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
blackberrymadesimple
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default Some answers for you

I'll try to answer your questions here:

I think many are related to the IT Policies on your BES server - what may have happened is that when you got your new device with 4.1, it refreshed all the IT policies causing you problems.

If you haven't, I'd request another "Enterpise Activation" from your Admin.

#1: Try going to Options (or setting > Options) > Host Routing Table > Register Now --- sometimes this brings back the Web Browser Icon.

Then, Login to your Web Client and make sure to send a Web Browsing Service Book.

Also, I'd check this: http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...57&postcount=1

#2: Send a service book from your Blackberry Internet Service - should fix this.

#3: Maybe because you're registering a new device, all new IT policies were pusted to you (and not with your old device?) Not sure on this one.

Thanks,
Martin

PS - Check out our 8700c Videos and eBooks - your IT Dept might find them useful as well. Have a great day.
BlackBerry Easy-to-Use FUN Books, eBooks, Videos & Training
Old 02-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
kitmoni

Thanks for the information Martin. I think I'll have to wait to talk with our Admin. I don't see a way to send a Web Browsing Service Book on Cingular, but I did a BIS Service Book and that didn't correct my problems. Maybe I can have him "re-push" and activation to me. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
kitmoni

Update - I just had a wild hair and decided to try to connect the browser to our Intranet, and it worked. So there must be some policy issue with it. We use proxy servers for everything, so I'll try to input the proxy information and see if that does it.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
caggie01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25DB352D
Carrier: AT&T

I have a slightly different problem. I use BES, 8700c and Cingular. I can send and receive email, no problem. The problem is email sync, I think. WHen I read email on my BB it updates my Outlook inbox OK, but when I update emails on my Inbox, it doesn't update the email on my BB. Any suggestions on correcting this?

AT&T
9800 Torch
Playbook 64G
Closed Thread