Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask
Carrier: AT&T
Default Review: Holux GPS Slim 240

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I received the GPS receiver last Friday. Read the directions, switched the power on and waited for both bluetooth and satellite lights to start blinking... loaded up google maps and there i was, google maps said it was accurate to 20 meters but, it was pretty dead on (satellite view on google maps, map view was a bit off)...

usually within about 20 seconds, it will finally get a fix on the satellites and would be good to go... my only issue with the holux is, when i tried installing the "GPS viewer" on my laptop, i couldn't get it to work... followed the directions to a "T" and still nothing... oh well.

since google maps does not come with voice prompt navigation, i did a search on here for other avenues for voice prompted nav besides the telenav... that is when i tried out the mapquest navigator but, consistently had issue with it reading the GPS... when I would go to GPS status, it would just keep flashing... then I would close the program, load it and it would then work half the time... I still have the mapquest navigator on my phone, just in case the issues get worked out a bit later, the one thing i really like about mapquest is it had "night mode" saves your eyes from staring at the bright ass screen...

i then called at&t and had them add me to the telenav for their 30 day trial... i have zero issues with telenav, never gave me a weird route, and it gave me an instant re-route when i purposely missed an exit... its directory feature is pretty good, i wish the voice prompts were a bit clearer...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Might I suggest:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bbf-reviews/
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/
Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
jyamani

Model: 8100
PIN: 23E00358
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thank you for the review. Helps the ones here still in the market for one.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
psyct1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
thought about that... figured those with a curve would search here first...

if you still feel its in the wrong section, please move it to the correct section...
Old 07-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
jrdul6748
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

So, how many stars are you willing to give it? Your review leaves me puzzled without a conclusion, but I obviously appreciate the fact that you're willing to let us know your insights!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
mallocfailure
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post

my only issue with the holux is, when i tried installing the "GPS viewer" on my laptop, i couldn't get it to work... followed the directions to a "T" and still nothing... oh well.
It seems that the "USB" port on this GPS unit is wired differently - they sell a special "gps usb data cable" that supposedly works to attach this to your PC. With the regular USB cable, you get an error in Windows saying that there's a problem with the hardware, and the Holux software never sees the device. It does charge correctly via USB, however.

If you do little googling, you'll see other discussions and links to providers of said data cable.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallocfailure View Post
It seems that the "USB" port on this GPS unit is wired differently - they sell a special "gps usb data cable" that supposedly works to attach this to your PC. With the regular USB cable, you get an error in Windows saying that there's a problem with the hardware, and the Holux software never sees the device. It does charge correctly via USB, however.

If you do little googling, you'll see other discussions and links to providers of said data cable.
My 240 takes a LONG time to do its inital synch, like 5 minutes.. but ok after that..

Sam
Old 07-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
Dude

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallocfailure View Post

I own a 236, but I bet is the same thing with the port. On the 236, the USB plug of for charging only. Otherwise it's just a regular serial connection, and so requires a special cable to trasfer data to a PC.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

As noted above, this does belong in the BBF Reviews section.

Moved accordingly.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
psyct1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdul6748 View Post
So, how many stars are you willing to give it? Your review leaves me puzzled without a conclusion, but I obviously appreciate the fact that you're willing to let us know your insights!
I realized after I read through my so called review that it was more a review of the software rather the device itself... below is a basic rating and my personal pros and cons

Rating: 8/10

Pros:
-extremely small and ligthweight
-ability to put on your keychain
-visually appealing

Cons:
-does not work with mapquest navigator 100% of the time (not sure if this is device related or software related, do not have another GPS receiver to test with)
Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Just curious where you bought it from psyct1? I was looking at it on ebay, seemed to be the cheapest. All other online retailers had it for over $100 CDN.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by he1neken View Post
Just curious where you bought it from psyct1? I was looking at it on ebay, seemed to be the cheapest. All other online retailers had it for over $100 CDN.
I got my GPSlim 240 from canadagps.com for approximately $100. Since you're in Toronto, you can arrange to pick it up directly in Markham next day.