Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon
Default Prediction: Blackberry Touchscreen

Please Login to Remove!

The Storm was BB's big jaunt into the touchscreen realm. But the Storm 9530 has been abandoned, the Storm 2 is pretty much a health Y A W N. Verizon is ga-ga over Android and courting Apple for the iPhone yet again (after the Tmo failure to score a deal with Jobes).

I am thrilled Blackberry introduced the Storm 9530. I got familiarized with touchscreen AND Blackberry technology. But RIM has abandoned the 9530, Storm 2 is an improvement but still a mustard burp in the grand scheme.

The Android is the new sweetheart and I want one. Next month that is. Although Verizon is pushing the BB touchscreen, the Google phone is where it will be at for quite some time. The Android X is a godsend.

My prediction? Bye bye STORMl

Verizon 9530
Old 06-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Bye Bye XelhaBB
Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
No matter how misguided.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Wirelessly posted (9520 / MF231)

I just bought two more 9550s to replace a 9500 and 9520.
Guess what my opinion of the Storm2 is?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
the Google phone is where it will be at for quite some time. The Android X is a godsend.

My prediction? Bye bye STORMl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
No matter how misguided.
While I know this subject has been beat to death and NJ is correct, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I would have to agree with the second part of NJ's response in that you are misguided. To make such a broad statement about the Droid, a phone that has nowhere near the history of the Blackberry, is "pie in the sky", at best. I "suffered" with the 9530 and have now had the 9550 for some time now. Is it perfect? No. But it is a lot closer than you give it credit for. It sounds more to me that it is time for you try something else and you have settled on the Droid. I wish you good luck with your endeavor. For my purposes, there is no better business tool than a Blackberry and I don't think it is a stretch to say that more will agree with that statement than yours.

Again, good luck with your Droid.

Last edited by scassel; 06-21-2010 at 11:19 AM..
Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Scassel: I totally agree with you. By virtue of Blackberry having the majority market share as a business tool alone, there is no competition...in this aspect. But this is not a testament to the Storm rather the Blackberry platform which is solid and proven. No argument to the contrary there. But let's not allow our love of Blackberry capabilities to cloud what was a rather fundamental and specific comparison on my part: The Storm vs Android X

What I need in the scope of my business and personal affairs is a device that will provide me with reliable email access, occasional internet access, SMS/MMS capability, a halfway decent camera to compliment MMS from the filed, instant messenger services, and the ability to upload photos to Facebook.

The old-school devildog in me inspires the compulsion to cling to my Storm experience and leap into the Storm 9550. However, as a individual who has always evolved with the changing world, I never allow affinity to overcome pragmatism. A Marine Corps maxim which I still embrace is to ADAPT to change, and OVERCOME the natural human inclination not to partake of alternatives.

The Android X performs as well or better in every one of the above listed categories which apply to my particular situation. The Android has a faster processor, faster browser, 8MP camera, and larger display. My business environment is Google oriented (email, documents, calendar) and so is the Android. So in my situation, "misguided" would only characterize an unwillingness on my part to cross over to the Android platform and try it on for size at the least. Situationally, the move makes complete sense.

Additionally, I would challenge you to make a credible argument that would place the Storm 9550 ahead of the Android in an all around head to head competition. I don't think you can pull that one off until RIM goes back to the drawing board with the Storm and dazzles us with a totally redesigned Storm 3. I would say RIM owes the Storm scene at least that much. I am also curious as to your hopes and desires in that aspect. Mine are:

Lighter frame, bigger display, faster stream lined kit browser, and more powerful camera.

Semper Fidelis

PS: NJBlackberry, your icon suits you right down to the ground baby! Don't EVER change tough guy....LOL

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 06-21-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
The Android X performs as well or better in every one of the above listed categories which apply to my particular situation. The Android has a faster processor, faster browser, 8MP camera, and larger display. My business environment is Google oriented (email, documents, calendar) and so is the Android. So in my situation, "misguided" would only characterize an unwillingness on my part to cross over to the Android platform and try it on for size at the least. Situationally, the move makes complete sense.
XelhaBB - I believe this paragraph sums it all up. While your business environment may be Google oriented, mine is Microsoft (Outlook) oriented. For many years, the PC platform and Microsoft products have been the standard. The times may be changing and Microsoft may not have the strangle hold they used to but they are still more prominent than any other platform. And the BB integrates best with this platform.

I certainly wish you no ill will should you go to the dark side...You need to make the best decision for you and your uses of a device. I will disagree with your disparaging review of the Storm and how it works within the platform it was designed. Simply put, IMHO, there is no better touch screen device to integrate with the PC/Microsoft platform.

So, that being said, it is wonderful that we both have the ability to chosse the device that works best for our particular situation.

Semper Fi

Scott
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Additionally, I would challenge you to make a credible argument that would place the Storm 9550 ahead of the Android in an all around head to head competition.
The Droid X is made by Motorola. End of story,

However, I did recently get a HTC EVO that runs on Android 2.1 (Same OS as the Droid X) and while it is a nice device and has a lot of nice features, it is not a BlackBerry. If battery life is important to you, then the BlackBerry is what you need. All Android devices have terrible battery life when compared to the BB. Notifications are no where near that of a BB. Profile exceptions don't exist on Android and this is what I miss most about the BlackBerry.

To each their own. Get the device that works best for you.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
The Droid X is made by Motorola.
I have seen this sentiment parroted quite a bit in this forum. I would question whether its contagious or from actual personal experience with Motorola products. My experience with Motorola products has been fine. I do believe I have stated this before. I currently have Motorola products that run great, one in particular has served me over 15 years. My last slider phone was Motorola and I had nothing but a wonderful experience with it.

I love this forum and my experience with the Storm is not one I look upon with antipathy. I don't believe I have given any "disparaging reviews" of the Storm 9530. I seek only to bring reproach upon RIM for releasing it far too soon, treating the loyal 9530 crowd like lab rats, and then releasing a next-Gen model while turning its back on the platform crowd that inspired the 9550 design. Bottom line, anyone with a Storm 9530 should have gotten at least a discount or contract exception of some sort for the 9550.

Despite RIM releasing the 9530 with a train wreck of an O/S, the 9530 developed into a fine business tool / toy that has served me well. The only negative thing I will say is that there is NO EXCUSE for forcing consumers to scour for beta's OS versions to milk acceptable performance out of a phone. In essence, RIM banked too heavily on the notion that its loyal customers would tolerate this foolishness just to have the touchscreen technology integrated into the Blackberry experience. In my estimation, that is exactly what occurred. Luckily for RIM, people like us felt challenged, engaged the process, shared our experiences, and found a modicum of excitement within the Blackberry Storm underground. It was my pleasure, but this sentiment was not shared by some.

My opinion is that Blackberry is making a mistake in not further diversifying itself as Google clearly has. Blackberry has only two big trademarks that distinguish it to me: Push Email and BBM. The other aspects of the Blackberry experience are the standard cellular fare. IMO, BBM is a bit over-celebrated and not much different than SMS / instant messaging. A majority of the Blackberry users in my business environment have never fired it up.

Google has picked up where Blackberry lost its steam and has integrated many services into its platform; they are also FREE. Email, calendar, document hosting, instant messenging, a virtual voicemailbox for more than one phone number, satellite navigation, etc. I use some of these services on my Storm. It's evident Google is putting more time into developing its cellular services and for good reason. I don't see this same enthusiasm emanating from the RIM camp, just its following. But RIM has to throw its fans a bone more often if it expects to keep customers like me. I invest heavily into my mobile communications répertoire and I lean towards innovation when warranted. Evidently RIM is content holding its comfortable corner of the marketshare, but I surmise that grasp is quickly becoming tenuous.

Admittedly, I am not a Droid X owner yet. I surely will report my experiences to this forum and give my objective assessment. I am the first to admit when my decisions don't occasion the "rainbow and butterflies" effect so don't lose faith in me. I am thinking a Youtube video will be in order. Additionally, should RIM take the Storm back to the drawing board and crank out a newer more advanced device I see nothing preventing me from coming back to the fold. My wallet follows innovation...

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 06-25-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Closed Thread