Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #21
mrrippey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
Question Mail Connector and BWC

Please Login to Remove!

Can anyone help me with my two issues:

1. Mail sent to my gmail account are not automatically sent to blackberry, they are however in the BWC (in the Inbox). I set up the account on BWC sucessfully using gmail set up.
2. Using the Mail Connector, it seems that it is running but sometimes I see a red X pop up. I am guessing something is wrong but do not know what. I set up an email account on BWC (for my Lotus Notes at work) and that worked ok (green check)

I reinstalled desktop manager and set it to blackberry internet mail, it installed fine.

Has anyone gotten both Lotus Notes mail connector and gmail working?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by mrrippey; 05-10-2005 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: re-phrasing question
Old 05-10-2005, 11:45 PM   #22
9balla4life
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Land where Blackburr's grow off trees....not sure yet
Model: 8120
PIN: 24760E78
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm42
What's up y'all?

So I just got my BB 7290 today and we are debating on the best way to connect to email. We're a small business - 2 BB users (Can't afford $1,500 for BES).

1. The BB manual made it seem like you can use the Redirector software even if you don't have an inhouse email server. We've been trying to get it to work, but it keeps giving us Memory errors when it tries to initialize. Can we actually use Redirector if we don't have Microsoft Exchange?

2. Also, is there no hope for the poor BB users who don't want to have to constantly delete emails from the BB and desktop. Is any other way to sync emails? Does redirector do that?

3. Regarding file sizes. The T-Mobile rep mentioned that the BB doesn't download all emails but that it just shows the subject title and you can open/ download only those emails that you really want to see. Is this true, or does it download ALL email. It's seems like a junk mail is a part of everyone's life these days. What's the best way to combat this? Currently, I use filters within Microsoft Outlook 2003 to move most of my junk email to either the "trash" or "junk" folders. If forward all emails to my BB, then I'll have to sift through all that junk on the road. This is especially important for me as I do a lot of international travel. When roaming, every MB downloaded is money.

Thanks so much for the info. This forum is great!
1. Yes, to my knowledge, unfortunately, you can't us the redirector w/o having Microsoft Outlook. However, you can just set up your e-mail account via webclient. Once you set the account up all you have to do is to input the e-mail address that you wish to be delivered to your device. Your E-mail provider must have the feature of pop-forwarding ie., comcast, yahoo etc. If you're not sure please contact your ESP and ask them if have the ability to do that or not. Most MAIN e-mail providers will be able to give you that option with the exception on Hotmail and MSN- however there are 3rd party programs avaiable at Handango.com With that said, it is easiest for you to contact your partner via PIN messages.

2. You can set your device to delete e-mails on your server once you delete from your handheld. I haven't had the need to do that lately since it's already set but I think that you can activate that feature via your BB Webclient. Do you use Cingular or T-mobile? I don't think that T-mobile offers the 7290...but I could be wrong...nevermind just did research on the T-mobile website and they do have that phone.

3. Based on my experience with Cingular Wireless as a sales rep I think that the person you talked to about your BB may not be fully trained on the product. With all due respect and I am not discrediting the rep but that's why GOD or RIM made BB's to begin with. BB are mainly used for sending and receiving e-mails in real time. Not only will you have the full e-mail, you will also have the ability to access any attachments sent to you.

I currently use BES for my corp e-mails and if you don't want to pay for that service because it's expensive and I don't think it is neccessary for you being that you only have two BB users. Please let me know if there is anything else I may be able to help you with. Thanks.
Currently using 8100 Pearl.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:29 AM   #23
nevaspendnocheez

where can i get the redirector software? i've been using BWC since i purchased my 7230 two months ago and i have forwarded mail from outlook to the handheld but i hate the way it comes in as FWD mail. must you have BES to use redirector? if not, where do i find the software?

any help would be appreciated
Old 05-26-2005, 05:21 AM   #24
9balla4life
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Land where Blackburr's grow off trees....not sure yet
Model: 8120
PIN: 24760E78
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevaspendnocheez
where can i get the redirector software? i've been using BWC since i purchased my 7230 two months ago and i have forwarded mail from outlook to the handheld but i hate the way it comes in as FWD mail. must you have BES to use redirector? if not, where do i find the software?

any help would be appreciated
Quote:
BlackBerry Redirector. This is a special software program included on a CD included with BlackBerries, that you can install on your computer. You can run it on a home computer or office computer -- just leave the computer on 24 hours a day. The software will watch for new emails arriving in Microsoft Outlook and then automatically forward a copy of these emails to your BlackBerry. (No BES needed). But you must keep your computer running 24 hours a day to get copies of your email.
Per Mark's first post.

According to what Mark said, redirector comes with your Desktop Software. But unfortunately I may have misplaced mine so I have to find out another way to re-install my software.
Currently using 8100 Pearl.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:38 AM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Please note that the Desktop Redirector requires that you have Exchange as your e-mail server. It does not work with POP3.

If you seriously want the Desktop Redirector, you can just reinstall the Desktop Manager that you download from the RIM web site. When you install DM, one of the options is to use Desktop Redirector. It will then put DR in the startup folder.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #26
test
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

With all these ways to get mail to the bb is there a way to decipher what mail account they were sent from?

say I use the web client to push from two accounts (optonline and gmail) they both come in to my messages box and i have a re-director going for my lotus notes that goes in my message box, now i just got 5 emails, how do i quickly know which one is work related and which one is personal? is there a way? or do i read them all?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

read them all
Old 06-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #28
mowgli

Model: 7280
Default hellp email forwarding with outlook express

i want to connect outlook express mail client to my blackberry so i can get my email how would i do this? Also i have setup the blackberry email account at cingualar.com but when i compose a message on my blackberry and try to send it, it says theres no emial service??? help plz
Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #29
shed

Model: 7250
Carrier: att
Default Yahoo Mail

Of course you can always use a browser based email - I use Yahoo mail on mobile.yahoo.com, because I have Enterprise for my corp email, and I can't seem to find a way to keep the Yahoo in sync and use my personal address to reply to messages. Anyone have a nice solution to managing a personal and a corp email account?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:08 AM   #30
PajamaGuy

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can I sort messages by ACCOUNT?

Mark,

I redirect/foreward several email accounts to my 7290. Is there a way to view/sort incomming messages by the associated email account?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2005, 11:19 AM   #31
csteinhardt

Model: 7230
Question Can BlackBerry successfully use Redirector and BES?

I have a 7290 and BB 4.0. I have never used the desktop application because my BB was provisioned OTA and works perfectly with my domain and MAILSTREET's BES server and Exchange. (like [email address])

Now, I have a customer who has an email address on their exchange server for me (me@CUSTOMERSdomain.com). I want have that email sent (copied/forwarded) from my customer's email address to my domain's email address. They can't put me on their BES server and their outlook client doesn't permit forwarding rules. Yet,

To do this, I thought redirector would odo the trick. I installed BB 4.0 desktop and redirector on the customer's computer only. I don't want to use IntelliSync and sync my BB with their Outlook/Exchange -- I just want to have the email redirected. But when I connect my Blackberry 7290 to the customer's computer so I can set the options in Redirector, Redirector pops up a dialog requesting to "generate a new key". I am afraid this will screw up my Blackberry's current communication with my BES server. Will this cause a problem with my current BES communication if I let it generate a key?

Is there a way to successfully setup redirector on customer's machines without adversely affecting the communication from Mailstreet's BES setup?

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #32
AboutBlackBerry
BANNED

Model: 7290
Default Marky

Just real quickly wanted to say Mark gives us all GREAT INFO! Thanks Mark!!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:03 AM   #33
johnalexgolden

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default One more for Mark

I have one more question for the all-knowing Mark (Or whoever else can answer it...)

I have a Blackberry that's on an enterprise account, so my work e-mail automatically gets synced all up, and it's great.

I also have a gmail account that I'd love to be able to access on my Blackberry in addition to my work e-mail. But I'd like to be able to keep them seperated to some extent....

I've managed to get gmail set up on the blackberry along side my work e-mail. And when I'm replying to messages, it seems to pick up on whether or not I'm replying to a work message or a gmail (personal) message and insert the appropriate address in the "from" field...

But....

When I'm just outright composing a new message, how do I determine whether or not it'll look like it's coming from my work address or my gmail address? Is there even a way to do this?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #34
sato

Model: 7780
Default Desktop redirector without Exchange server

I read a lot of posting as well as the official RIM documentation saying that desktop redirector REQUIRES an exchange server. But I also saw posting on the RIM newsgroup for developpers where people managed to get redirector work with POP3 fetched email by outlook clients only with using an exchange server.
I tried to do it but without success.
I was wondering what is the solution to get secure email on the RIM without a BES or hosted BES.
Is a new desktop redirector compatible with POP3 realistic?
I noticed that the redirector takes the email from the Inbox, compress it then encrypt then sends it back to a RIM SMTP server. So taking an email from a POP3 server should in theory be possible.
Has anybody explored this path?

Thanks.

sato
Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #35
bobg0101

Model: 7250
Default redirector without exchange server?

I too am in a small company w/o exchange server. I have a few pop accounts that I pull into Outlook and run through my own rules to screen out spam (~95% of my mail). Right now I've just added a rule to forward any mail that gets through my filters to forward to BWC. So on my BB I get all my mail but it's "from" me. Any way to get BB Redirector to work in my scenario (or some other solution) without getting exchange server?

Thanks very much for your help!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #36
carabis

Model: 7100t
Default Mail Connector Help....

I have a 7230 with TMobile. I am very technical...and I have tried to get the Redirector software up and running and it constantly crashed. I downloaded a mail connector program that worked great and my laptop, but I have lost the link. The program name was Mail Connector (it was a free download) and It was a RIM software product (Teamon Systems Division).

Does any know where I can find this? Tmobile does it support it so they have been no help.

Thank you.

-C
Old 09-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #37
jarchman

Model: 7100T

Hi,

My company has just started using Mailstreet's Exchange service, and I am in the process of setting up the BES and my personal email account. Seems like all the Exchange stuff is working (which is my work email address). I can see everything on the BB and things seem to sync wirelessly. I now have a gmail account for my personal email. I would like to set this up to pop using the BWC. This is how I received email on the BB before we went to BES. The problem is that I cannot respond to any email that gets sent to my gmail account. I thought I could have multiple pop emails along-side the BES email account, and everything should work?

Must be doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live for Australia on Monday and will be in big trouble if I can't get this stuff working.

Thanks in advance, Jim
Old 09-13-2005, 05:06 AM   #38
Zontar

Model: 8830
Default BES and BIS

I've seen this question asked a few times in different forms, but I don't think I've seen an answer, which leads me to suspect that the answer is "No". Sorry if there was an answer elsewhere and I missed it.

We are running BES (works great, I just wish moving a message from the inbox to local Outlook storage on the desktop was seen as a delete by the BB) and many of us set up BIS. Incoming BIS email appears in the BB inbox which is great. However, all outgoing email seems to go through the BES server. Is there any way to tell a BB (mostly 7100t's) to send BES email through the BES email server and to send non-BES (BIS) email through a different relay (BIS server)?

If it makes a diff, all the 7100t's are running 4.00 software, although some have slightly newer revs of that software even though they were all ordered within a few weeks of each other.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:12 AM   #39
Zontar

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zontar
I've seen this question asked a few times in different forms, but I don't think I've seen an answer, which leads me to suspect that the answer is "No". Sorry if there was an answer elsewhere and I missed it.

We are running BES (works great, I just wish moving a message from the inbox to local Outlook storage on the desktop was seen as a delete by the BB) and many of us set up BIS. Incoming BIS email appears in the BB inbox which is great. However, all outgoing email seems to go through the BES server. Is there any way to tell a BB (mostly 7100t's) to send BES email through the BES email server and to send non-BES (BIS) email through a different relay (BIS server)?

If it makes a diff, all the 7100t's are running 4.00 software, although some have slightly newer revs of that software even though they were all ordered within a few weeks of each other.

Thanks!
Oops, correction. Not 4.00, 4.0. Some 7100t's mainly have modules with version numbers starting with 4.0.0... and others with 4.0.2... but all have IM version 3.80.23. Sorry.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #40
i robot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: o2
Default Mobile email or desktop redirector

Hope someone on this thread can help!! I have a BB7100v and was initially using the desktop redirector. This was working fine and I loved the fact that I could reply to the email. Unfortunately, during a vacation (the computer was switch off) I decided to use the mobile email service. This also worked fine and I was then able to open the attachments also. The only problem was when I got back to work as my emails came in they appeared open attomatically. This became confusing as I didn't know what I had read without looking at my BB. I decided to go back to my desktop redirector to avoid the confusion while at work and then found I was unable to repond to emails from my BB that came in via the desktop director. Therefore I would like to know

1 Does anyone know why I can't reply to the emails now when I could do so before.

or

2. Is there a way of leaving the messages appear unread on my desktop when using the mobile web based version.
Closed Thread