Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
ukulele_ninja
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Upgrade to Bold or Bold 2?

Please Login to Remove!

So my 8300 is finally reaching the end of its life and I'm ready to upgrade and my att upgrade option will be available in the next few days. I was in the att store the other day checking out the Bold and Bold 2 and it seemed the 2 was smaller and I was not crazy about the touch pad. Can anyone break down the features and tell me if the 2 is worth the upgrade over the Bold?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
JmH Reborn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

I would go with the Bold 2

-Much better camera and video camera, much better
-It has an official 5.0 Operating System. You can get the beta version on the Bold
--5.0 comes with threaded SMS, side scrolling pictures, zoom on standard photos
--Visuals are improved (interface)
-Device is amazingly fast
-Battery life is simply great. Every leaked and official OS update on the Bold proclaims increased battery life, but it's simply weak
-Trackpad...really...I've only had the phone sparingly, but wow, what an upgrade over the trackball. Seriously.

I was against the size of the Bold2 since I love the size of the OG Bold, but it works well and it still has the amazing keypad of the original which is still handsdown the best keypad in existence.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
ukulele_ninja

So the trackpad is not to annoying? I only got to play with it sparingly at the store but it felt very very sensitive. I do like the threaded sms though.

Do you think the 2's battery and processor is faster than the bold? I could care less about the camera, I'm really only interested in a good screen and speed
Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
wayneholbrook

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB

You can set the sensitivity of the trackpad, battery is much better with the 9700 and it is a lot faster. But to be honest, i miss the bigger keyboard. Maybe I'll get use to it but so far that is the only thing I miss about the bold
Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
9bberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: att

bold 2
Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
JmH Reborn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Under the original settings under Options>Screen/Keyboard you can change the sensitivity. I originally hated how touchy feely it was. I changed it from 70 to 60 and haven't looked back.

When I load up an internet page, it shows up a whole lot faster on the Bold 2 than my original Bold. I put my friend's SIM in my Bold and we did a non scientific speed test against my Bold 2 and it was so much faster.

As far as the battery...it really is no contest. I'm a power user and I went two days (no sh*ttin) w/o charging. I realize that isn't the norm...but yeah

And the camera...I think it's important...you have a moment to share/capture and then you realize that the quality is horse crap on the OG Bold.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele_ninja View Post
So the trackpad is not to annoying? I only got to play with it sparingly at the store but it felt very very sensitive. I do like the threaded sms though.
I will take a bit of getting used to, but for me, the experience has been positive. I can see with a bit more use I will find the trackpad to be a great change from the trackball. And as someone else said, you can adjust the horizontal and vertical sensitivity if you find it too twitchy.

Quote:
Do you think the 2's battery and processor is faster than the bold? I could care less about the camera, I'm really only interested in a good screen and speed
My understanding is the processor is the same in the Bold 9000 and the Bold 9700. It is also my understanding that the battery life is much better in the 9700, even though it uses the exact same battery as the 9000. Something about a re-written radio stack that is more efficient, or something like that. So far, the battery is doing really well, but that is from a casual standpoint. I haven't documented anything to say for certain. Bear in mind, of course, that daily use being generally different from user to user means we will each experience slightly different battery discharge rates.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
r_ss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: PM me if needed
Carrier: Rogers

Bold 2
Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
ukulele_ninja

I'm glad to hear you can change the sensitivity on the 9700, sounds like I might be heading that direction. Now just to wait for walmart to get it for way cheaper than the att store to get one. They have the Bold for $64 so that's why I was leaning that way. The guy I asked today said the 9700 would be $149.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
RydeWitM3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I miss the size, feel and keypad of the original bold as well. Wish you could just add a trackpad to the old bold, LOL!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
ukulele_ninja

is the screen size comparable to the curves size? Also, how are the speakers? i know the Bold had amazing speakers for pandora and such.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Go with the original Bold! I've had both, and I'll tell u now the original is made much better. Track ball is easier to use IMO, speed is the same, keyboard is much bigger and more comfortable, and the screen is just as nice on the original, plus bigger! Yea I know the camera is better on the 9700, but a 2mega pix is just fine for quick shots! U want a sick camera, get a nokia! Honestly 5.0 is not all that diff at all, and u can load bbm 5.0 over the air anyway. IMHO I feel like the 9700 is not made well at all, and the original bold is. FYI, Bold in white is available right now, pretty slick lookin if ya want somethin a little diff then the next person. But this is just my 2 cents, happy hunting!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
ukulele_ninja

I've been reading lots of reviews today and I have to say I'm leaning towards the original Bold. I've read that the speakers are better on the Bold which is a big feature for me and that browsing was superior as well.

It appears both run at the same speed and have the same OS (with upgrade on the Bold)

The Bold 2 has a higher resolution screen and the better camera, but as mentioned before I could care less about a camera and higher res screen is great but its smaller than the Bold! So that's a big ding too. I am curious about the trackpad, but the ball on my curve has served me well so I don't mind using a similar feature on the Bold.

I'm big into browsing and both have wifi so that's an equal feature. Does anyone know of a wifi calling feature for att or a program that will do this for the Bold or 9700?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

I didn't think the difference would be so great, but hardware wise, trackpad (really way better than the trackball), camera, form factor, weight, screen - just wow. I really like this device. Processor is noticeably faster for me and the OS all hangs together. None of this beta stuff. To me it has become a no brainer. Go upgrade folks.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele_ninja View Post
I've been reading lots of reviews today and I have to say I'm leaning towards the original Bold. I've read that the speakers are better on the Bold which is a big feature for me and that browsing was superior as well.

It appears both run at the same speed and have the same OS (with upgrade on the Bold)

The Bold 2 has a higher resolution screen and the better camera, but as mentioned before I could care less about a camera and higher res screen is great but its smaller than the Bold! So that's a big ding too. I am curious about the trackpad, but the ball on my curve has served me well so I don't mind using a similar feature on the Bold.

I'm big into browsing and both have wifi so that's an equal feature. Does anyone know of a wifi calling feature for att or a program that will do this for the Bold or 9700?
My understanding is that the UMA (unlicensed mobile access) is only available on the T-Mo version. Not sure if it's something that can be activated with 3rd party app. I'm guessing "no", but it's just a guess.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT Wireless

I upgraded from the Bold to the Bold2 as of yesterday, and here is my first impression:

-Bold had a great screensize which I got to love quite a bit since upgrading from the 8800/8820 world. The screen size of the Bold2 is definitely smaller and one would feel it if they upgrade from the 9000. I hope I can get use to it, but my web pages definitely become a bigger effort to read

-Speed - The Bold2 is definitely speedier, and a much better joy to use. I assume this is OS driven rather hardware, so I guess one can hope that the origional Bold will become as speedy as the Bold2 once the OS 5 will be released. The speed at this moment really covers all areas of the Bold2, from looking at pictures to accessing Docs to go files, there is simply no lack time to do things.

-I haven't tried the camera yet, but yes, a better camera would make sense, considering doing silly snap shots are the best pictures these days

-Battery life, I am getting a gauge on how much bettery life would be, so far very good, I feel the difference. Ultimately though I would think it is all OS driven, maybe the origional bold will become a power saver like the current Bold2. I would say that the battery life issue is critical, because a few times, like so many other readers pointed out on making choices to take a call or not to conserve power....

-Applications - third party. I didn't have any critical programs, so I was ready to lose some if I had to. To my surprise with some tweaking and some battery pulls, I was able to get all my third party applications to work, and it appears that many will work under 5.0 per the board. I would say though be cautious if you migrate from an older OS/Unit..the difference is substantial..hence, some applications may not work unless the vendor made sure it would work on your desired phone...

-New Accessories - that's a very annoying discovery which I didn't know about...the sync cable of the 9000 won't work, so if you need a spare or extra one..this means another expense either by buying an adapter or a new cable..I am not the adapter type of a guy..same thing with the car charger..it won't work. If you are upgrading from a complete different phone family, I guess..one wouldn't expect compatibility..but from a 9000 to a 9700?..grrr..well, hopefully, the micro usb is going to be better and less vunerable than the regular mini USB?

In summary, as many have pointed out, the upgrade from Bold to Bold2 is subtle, however, given the choice of chosing one or the other? I would go straight to Bold2...unless you are getting the Bold for free. Bold2 is literally being given away with so many specials available when doing a 2 year or so contract...

Good Luck...I am happy so far with my Bold2.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

I upgraded from the Bold to the Bold2 as of yesterday, and here is my first impression:

-Bold had a great screensize which I got to love quite a bit since upgrading from the 8800/8820 world. The screen size of the Bold2 is definitely smaller and one would feel it if they upgrade from the 9000. I hope I can get use to it, but my web pages definitely become a bigger effort to read

-Speed - The Bold2 is definitely speedier, and a much better joy to use. I assume this is OS driven rather hardware, so I guess one can hope that the origional Bold will become as speedy as the Bold2 once the OS 5 will be released. The speed at this moment really covers all areas of the Bold2, from looking at pictures to accessing Docs to go files, there is simply no lack time to do things.

-I haven't tried the camera yet, but yes, a better camera would make sense, considering doing silly snap shots are the best pictures these days

-Battery life, I am getting a gauge on how much bettery life would be, so far very good, I feel the difference. Ultimately though I would think it is all OS driven, maybe the origional bold will become a power saver like the current Bold2. I would say that the battery life issue is critical, because a few times, like so many other readers pointed out on making choices to take a call or not to conserve power....

-Track pad or track ball - I was sold on it because the new Bold2 was getting a track pad. Overall, very good, but so far, I didn't get the compelling advantage of one or the other. Truthfully, I never had a critical problem per se. I would say though that playing the brick game will become more difficult than with a track ball..no?!

-Applications - third party. I didn't have any critical programs, so I was ready to lose some if I had to. To my surprise with some tweaking and some battery pulls, I was able to get all my third party applications to work, and it appears that many will work under 5.0 per the board. I would say though be cautious if you migrate from an older OS/Unit..the difference is substantial..hence, some applications may not work unless the vendor made sure it would work on your desired phone...

-New Accessories - that's a very annoying discovery which I didn't know about...the sync cable of the 9000 won't work, so if you need a spare or extra one..this means another expense either by buying an adapter or a new cable..I am not the adapter type of a guy..same thing with the car charger..it won't work. If you are upgrading from a complete different phone family, I guess..one wouldn't expect compatibility..but from a 9000 to a 9700?..grrr..well, hopefully, the micro usb is going to be better and less vunerable than the regular mini USB?

In summary, as many have pointed out, the upgrade from Bold to Bold2 is subtle, however, given the choice of chosing one or the other? I would go straight to Bold2...unless you are getting the Bold for free. Bold2 is literally being given away with so many specials available when doing a 2 year or so contract...

Good Luck...I am happy so far with my Bold2.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
ukulele_ninja

Happy to report I picked up my Bold 2 from walmart.com yesterday for free with a free bluetooth music gateway too! :D Thanks for everyones help!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #19
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

congrats! you got a great deal for a great BB . I am getting very fond of my new gadget, having it now for almost a week.

the great battery life and better signal strenght over my 9000 is a definite plus.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
ukulele_ninja

Sadly it won't be here till Thursday :(
Closed Thread