DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Default College lessons, liberalism vs. conservatism

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redistribution of wealth. She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He responded by asking how she was doing in school. Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is you friend Audrey doing?" She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus, college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties,and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican Party."
(The traditional Republican Party, which needs to get back to its less government, lower taxes, less spending roots again.)
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Amen brother!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

better do it before the party is too far gone to do anything. losing ground in all areas now, the "middle aged white man" party is fading fast.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
muskiemania
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: tmo

love it.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

It's something I've said for a long time now, and long before Bush went nuts; the Republican party needs to go back to its conservative roots. Bush and congress were a disappointment in many ways, and to lump him/them into the same group as such great conservatives as Reagan is an insult.

We can't let Bush's mistakes redefine the party or conservatism.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Amen to that!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
better do it before the party is too far gone to do anything. losing ground in all areas now, the "middle aged white man" party is fading fast.
And when the liberal tax and spenders run things into the ground things will swing back to the right again. Wait and see. This stimulus package (i.e. left wing agenda spending package) is making Pelosi and Reid look like a couple of idiots.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

I know both parties need each other because if they have power for too long then they tend to go to far with everything in my opinion. Its just I agree more with the current group than the previous.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

The problem with the previous group was that they were too much like the current group. That's why the current group won.

Hope and change!

uh huh.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

only if you feel that all spending is the same.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Great story.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

spending money you dont have, is spending money you dont have No matter which party is in control. Bush spent it on the war Obama is spending it on stupid crap that wont help either. He just wants to spend 2 times more.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn_key View Post
It's something I've said for a long time now, and long before Bush went nuts; the Republican party needs to go back to its conservative roots. Bush and congress were a disappointment in many ways, and to lump him/them into the same group as such great conservatives as Reagan is an insult.

We can't let Bush's mistakes redefine the party or conservatism.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
rjw3000

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
(The traditional Republican Party, which needs to get back to its less government, lower taxes, less spending roots again.)
Neither party fits that description, they have both become almost identical.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
test54
BlackBerry Master

nearly but there are certainly ideological difference between the two.
you will see the Republican party bend over backwards now to get younger and less white. after that then you might see them get back to their roots.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
DallasFlier

Quote:
Quote:
nearly but there are certainly ideological difference between the two.
you will see the Republican party bend over backwards now to get younger and less white. after that then you might see them get back to their roots.
test, you seem awfully smug in this thread. Yes, the Republican Party is down right now - just like the Democratic Party was 8 years ago, and even 4 years ago. Your predictions about the Republican Party sound very similar to those that were being made about the Democratic Party just a few short years ago. Its all cyclical, and the Republicans are no more "fading fast" and "too far gone to do anything" than the Democrats were very recently.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

DF right on

Last edited by Dawg; 02-06-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
test, you seem awfully smug in this thread. Yes, the Republican Party is down right now - just like the Democratic Party was 8 years ago, and even 4 years ago. Your predictions about the Republican Party sound very similar to those that were being made about the Democratic Party just a few short years ago. Its all cyclical, and the Republicans are no more "fading fast" and "too far gone to do anything" than the Democrats were very recently.
Your right I do sound smug, no problem there.

The democrats in 8 years ago were still the largest party, thats the difference. The numbers were not fading it was more that people thought that W. would be the best person to run the war.

I do agree that its cyclical and I have said in here that both parties are needed to moderate their actions. However there are times in history where one party (Dem) can go for 10-20-30 years in control.

I guess I more like that the GOP diehards are going to be forced into more moderate views and to actively get more minorities. In the South, these are not popular ways to raise their numbers - at least to the majority I know and talk to.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
DallasFlier

Quote:
Your right I do sound smug, no problem there.

The democrats in 8 years ago were still the largest party, thats the difference. The numbers were not fading it was more that people thought that W. would be the best person to run the war.
Oh really now? Gee, tell us just what war people thought W. would be the best person to run, during the campaign 8 years ago - pre-9/11? Nice try though.

Whether you like to admit it or not, and no matter how smug you want to be right now, the "death knell" for Democrats was being sounded 8 years ago every bit as much as its being sounded now for the Republicans. I didn't believe it then, and I don't believe it now. By all means though, enjoy your time on top - but remember in your air of self-admitted arrogant smugness - it IS cyclical, and what goes around comes around.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #20
test54
BlackBerry Master

well the event 8 years ago was obviously Monica Lewinsky and Clinton lying. My bad for saying 8 years ago.
I just said it is cyclical and that both parties are needed to moderate the political gamefield.
the difference is in the numbers, the republicans have to change in order to stay where they are right now.

to be told that I sound smug in a purely political discussion is not surprising

Last edited by test54; 02-06-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Closed Thread