Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
jubrand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Mute Button and Standby Mode

Please Login to Remove!

What's the purpose of the mute button standby mode on the pearl? If I hold it down, it says "entering standby mode" and then the screen shuts off. The mute button brings it out of this mode, but it will still ring/beep when a call or message comes in. I guess I'm wondering if this is just a powersave mode that keeps the screen off? It seems kinda pointless to me. A better function for that button when you're not on a call would be to change profiles or something.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
NonCom
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I think it puts it in the "sleep" mode, which conserves battery and prevents accidental keypresses. It is useful if you aren't carrying it around in a magnet embedded case.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
ski837547
Thumbs Must Hurt

One big flaw of the Pearl's standby mode it that the Power button will disable the standby mode.

The Pearl's "keylock" mode is even worse. The power button in this mode will turn the phone off. Also the '#' key is still operational and will change the phone from normal to vibrate mode or vice versa. Plus the possibility of dialing 911 as experienced by people's comments in other threads.

The Pearl does not have a mode that completely locks out the keyboard from accidentally presses. I think Blackberry needs to address this issue since one of the main selling points of this phone is how small it is. This phone will probably be kept in the pockets and purses of most people. Most non-flip cell phones made by other companies have a true "keylock" mode that prevents an accidental keypress from affecting the phone.

Last edited by ski837547; 12-08-2006 at 04:21 PM..
Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

complaints complaints complaints.....

the standby button is a godsend on the pearl. I use it for putting the phone into standby which locks all buttons... but doesn't lock the device... you ever try and lock the device and unlock it with the key combination.

this is a perfect solution for someone like me who keeps the pearl in my pocket.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
ski837547
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad

the standby button is a godsend on the pearl. I use it for putting the phone into standby which locks all buttons... but doesn't lock the device... you ever try and lock the device and unlock it with the key combination.

this is a perfect solution for someone like me who keeps the pearl in my pocket.
Standby mode does not lock all buttons...as I previously stated...the "Power key" is still active. There is no good reason for the standby mode to leave the power button still activated. The only key that should be active in standby mode is the mute key (as stated by the phone when you put it in standby mode). Having the easily pressed "Power key" also active in the standby mode is a bug that Blackberry needs to address.

Last edited by ski837547; 12-08-2006 at 05:14 PM..
Old 12-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
jubrand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

Quote:

True, the key combo is a pain in the butt. Now that I understand the benefits, I'll probably actually use it.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
archiberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

in my opinion, the on from the power key is intentional, so that they do not get thousands of phone calls how the phone "died"--when in fact it was in standby mode. It does take holding the power button down for a bit before the phone wakes up...
Old 12-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
ski837547
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiberry
in my opinion, the on from the power key is intentional, so that they do not get thousands of phone calls how the phone "died"--when in fact it was in standby mode. It does take holding the power button down for a bit before the phone wakes up...
It might have been intentional, but since this phone will probably be kept in the pockets of most people, I can easily see the power button being accidentally pressed. When you put the phone in standby mode, it clearly states on the screen to press the mute key to exit the standby mode. Plus it's also in the manual. I personally think this bug (feature), should either be removed, or have an option to remove it.

Last edited by ski837547; 12-08-2006 at 06:11 PM..
Old 12-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski837547
It might have been intentional, but since this phone will probably be kept in the pockets of most people, I can easily see the power button being accidentally pressed. When you put the phone in standby mode, it clearly states on the screen to press the mute key to exit the standby mode. Plus it's also in the manual. I personally think this bug (feature), should either be removed, or have an option to remove it.
i totally disagree with you. You have to hold the power button at least 5 seconds before the device comes out of standby....

I don't exert so much pressue on one key in my pocket. Especially with the seidio rubberized case I have. The functionality is still the best out of any other smartphone period! including the treo that does the same thing killing the screen.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #10
ski837547
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
i totally disagree with you. You have to hold the power button at least 5 seconds before the device comes out of standby....

I don't exert so much presure on one key in my pocket. Especially with the seidio rubberized case I have. The functionality is still the best out of any other smartphone period! including the treo that does the same thing killing the screen.
True, it has to be pushed for 5 seconds. Just because *you* don't exert much pressure in your pocket, doesn't mean other people don't exert enough pressure in their pocket to push a key on the keyboard. Why lock all of the keys on the keyboard except one ? Nor should it be required for the consumer to have a case or holster to prevent this problem. Many people hate holsters and cases. Bottom line is this Power Key bug (feature) isn't necessary, and needs to be fixed or the option to turn it off. Most other non-flip cell phones don't have this issue with their keyboard lock feature.

Last edited by ski837547; 12-08-2006 at 09:29 PM..
Old 12-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
admartinezjr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T

while I understand the concerns, I don't see how one person could press the power button that long while the phone is in their pockets....maybe it's just me but I don't think it would be a common problem.

I carry my Pearl in my pockets all day and I haven't activated anything at all while the phone is there.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #12
huilim

Model: 8700g

For me, I find it easy to just map the left side convenience key to "keyboard lock". By doing this, it's only a quick button press to keylock and unlocking is done via the usual * followed by green call button. So much quicker than just pressing the * button to keylock your phone
Old 12-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
saffron

Quote:
Originally Posted by huilim
For me, I find it easy to just map the left side convenience key to "keyboard lock". By doing this, it's only a quick button press to keylock and unlocking is done via the usual * followed by green call button. So much quicker than just pressing the * button to keylock your phone
What a great idea, huilim. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 AM   #14
worktrader

Carrier: Rogers

When I mute my phone - it does avoid key presses but then it "unmutes" itself in a few minutes.

Does anyone else have this problem? Very annoying because the mute function works perfectly for me otherwise.

Now have a pearl. Thx