BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
bobachman

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT & T
Default Eavesdropping and Security Questions!

Please Login to Remove!

How do you tell if your phone is programed with eavesdropping software?

How can you tell if someone is eavesdropping on any particular conversation?

Does the GPS on the 9700 allow the exact address where the phone is located to be accessed? How so?

Does the phone allow non phone call conversations to be heard if the phone is only in the on position?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobachman View Post
How do you tell if your phone is programed with eavesdropping software?
You probably can't tell at all. I would imagine any good eavesdropping software, if it exists, would be smart enough to hide itself from view.

Quote:
How can you tell if someone is eavesdropping on any particular conversation?
See above.

Quote:
Does the GPS on the 9700 allow the exact address where the phone is located to be accessed? How so?
It's possible. If you're in an area receiving data from many GPS satellites, your location can be pinpointed within 3 meters or so.

Quote:
Does the phone allow non phone call conversations to be heard if the phone is only in the on position?
Out of the box... no. I imagine some sophisticated eavesdropping software could allow this, if it exists.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
bobachman

Tks for responding penquin.

Hoping for more though. By googling, I find there is software that allows eavesdropping. When I try to download the detecter on my phone, I get a come back saying that type software is not allowed to be downloaded - not difinite but certainly worthy of probably there.

Hoping for a company cell phone guru to comment on the above.?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
When I try to download the detecter on my phone, I get a come back saying that type software is not allowed to be downloaded - not difinite but certainly worthy of probably there.
I would also imagine that such sophisticated eavesdropping software, if it exists, would not only be undetectable but would also be smart enough to prevent any type of detection software from being used against it.
This is a crazy world we live in.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

What do you mean by "company cell phone guru"?

The best thing you can do if you're concerned is to completely wipe the device with JL_Cmder and reload the OS. Then password protect the device.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
bobachman

Conyers...I'm looking for undetected methods of determining if I'm bugged.....not looking to alert the eavesdropper if there is one.

If there is a poster here who has intimate knowledge of my questions, it's appreciated.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I'm looking for undetected methods of determining if I'm bugged.....not looking to alert the eavesdropper if there is one.
If you're bugged, they already know what you're doing.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
jsconyers

What makes you think that you're bugged to begin with?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I'm looking for undetected methods of determining if I'm bugged.....
Oxymoron? How can you detect something yourself would deem as undetectable?

If you're being bugged... you would know already. The voices in your head would be telling you so. Am I right, hey, am I right?

Seriously, the two users answering you above are as "guru" as they come as any "company cell phone guru".

Why do you think you're being bugged?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
bobachman

Not hearing voices yet....that'll come later.

The " company cell phone guru " I thought might lurk in here is one who manages the distribution, usage, and user related questions of company issued phones or is a knowledgeable IT employee about blackberry's.

I don't necessarily think I'm being bugged but it would be nice to know methods to determine such.

" Oxymoron? How can you detect something yourself would deem as undetectable? "............yeah, that happens everyday when you find out things people thought you couldn't find out....and they knew no one would ever know.

What's next?.....How do you know what you know they don't think you know you know?

I'm just asking the tech questions, not needing a shrink.

I thought this site might be a good place to ask blackberry tech type questions but I'm finding just doing a simple search is revealing more than is available here.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
The " company cell phone guru " I thought might lurk in here is one who manages the distribution, usage, and user related questions of company issued phones or is a knowledgeable IT employee about blackberry's.
There's a handful of those types of people here.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
jsconyers

Penguin's right and he is one of them.

As for your concerns. You're not giving us really anything to go off of and expect us to know what you're looking for. You got answers but didn't like the answers you received. There are plenty of different websites offering software to do this on most phones. Each one is different and it is nearly impossible for us to determine how each one works or to detect each one.

Post #2 sums up most of this thread and answers all of your questions. Sorry that you don't like the answers, but they're the answers nonetheless.

If a simple search found better results than the answers you received here, then please post those answers.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

....and how many people think the OP may really be trying to find a way to plant an undetectable piece of software on someone else's BB...

#justsayin
Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I think Bob thinks he already knows the answers to his questions... he just wants a "guru" to confirm it all. No disrespect, Bob, but seriously, if you've searched at least this forum, you'll find several threads of people playing the same game. In several of them, as juwaack68 says, you'll see it finally ends up being that person looking for some snooping application.

#aintgonnahappen
Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
johnling
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Cushion
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
If you have a company phone you are bugged. They can watch everything you do on the phone and have every right to do so.

9700, 8520 & Pearl -T-Mobile
Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
bobachman

Now we're getting at least somewhere.......never got answers to the questions but it appears this is a den of "don't tell the specifics ".

Crap, maybe I'm actually posting in the "blackberry company" .........ones hoping to keep the eavesdropping thing quiet!.

NEVER EVER THINK EAVESDROPPING IS A RIGHT>>>>>>IT"S WRONG ! That type of thinking has killed millions of innocents over centuries!

In my short time here I've learned to warn the masses of the "what if's" regarding this phone

Yeah, it's intelligent to ask questions you already think you know answers to...but many things are never as you decipher in print.......so simple....but......for example: I'm " bo " ......not bob.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #17
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

If you're using BES, the BES administrator from what I know has access to lots of information on "your" phone which actually belongs/accesses company resources. The BES administrator can stop users from installing programs on the Blackberry as well as monitor what programs are installed on the Blackberry. It is somewhat like using a company laptop/desktop and going to questionable websites and then wondering/worrying about the monitoring that happens on the company laptop/desktop.

From my limited understanding of BES features/functions, it is somewhat similar to joining a domain on a Windows machine. Once a Windows machine joins a domain server, the domain administrator has a lot of individual access to the particular Windows machine.

My advice to the original poster if you don't want to be monitored or you are worried about it, don't use your company cellphone or any cellphone that accesses company resources (like a personal Blackberry that is allowed to access BES). If you use your company cellphone for personal calls for example, the company gets a record of your calls. Depending on the country/provider, the company might also get a detailed list on the incoming phone numbers.

I have a company cellphone and a personal cellphone.

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 07-23-2010 at 03:15 AM..
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #18
jsconyers

Quote:
Now we're getting at least somewhere.......never got answers to the questions but it appears this is a den of "don't tell the specifics ".
If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black then I don't know what is. We have asked multiple times why you think you're being eavesdropped on, no answer. We've asked for more information to help you, no answer...

Quote:
Crap, maybe I'm actually posting in the "blackberry company" .........ones hoping to keep the eavesdropping thing quiet!.
Blackberry Company? Do you mean RIM?! If so, this forum has no affiliation with RIM.
Quote:
NEVER EVER THINK EAVESDROPPING IS A RIGHT>>>>>>IT"S WRONG ! That type of thinking has killed millions of innocents over centuries!
Who said Eavesdropping was right?

Quote:
In my short time here I've learned to warn the masses of the "what if's" regarding this phone
Keep telling yourself that. There have been literally hundreds of posts just like yours. Search around. Ohh, I believe you already did and found the answers. Yet, you're still here and not posting those answers you found.

Quote:
Yeah, it's intelligent to ask questions you already think you know answers to...but many things are never as you decipher in print.......so simple....but......for example: I'm " bo " ......not bob.
Well, Bo, it seems at this point that you're doing nothing more than trolling. If you really want assistance, then please give us the information you're asking for. Why do you think you have this issue? Are you on a BES (company server)? What answers have you found?

All you're doing is repeating the same rhetoric in each of your posts with no substance whatsoever.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Sounds like someone has a unhealthy obsession with conspiracy issues. "The guys that shot JFK are buried in the desert, still got the shovel to prove it."

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

Tin foil hat?

Padded room?

Your choice
Closed Thread