Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
why1504
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Exchange, Spam and the BES

Please Login to Remove!

First, I am not a network engineer but an trying to do some preliminary data collection for my Network Engineer Consultant. We just rebuilt my company's server to accommodate BES. I am the only BB user and really wanted to get BES up and running. Previously we had conflicts between BES and other applications using SQL resources ( don't ask, I really don't understand). Anyway, now this works like a dream, BES is running now and I give it a big thumbs up except for one problem, spam. Here is our configuration:

Small Business Server 2003 (purchased 12/05) with all updates
The free version of BES
Ninja anti-spam software
Symantec Anti virus

Here is what is happening:

I have spam slipping past the Ninja hitting the blackberry without it hitting my Outlook mail box. This is obviously a timing issue. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I need to resolve this???

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Outsource your anti-spam solution using a system such as MessageLabs (messagelabs.com).
You should be filtering spam before it even hits your network.

You might also consider implementing a spam-filtering appliance, or a spam-filtering firewall if you don't have the ability to outsource the whole solution.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
KnacK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Outsource your anti-spam solution using a system such as MessageLabs (messagelabs.com).
You should be filtering spam before it even hits your network.

You might also consider implementing a spam-filtering appliance, or a spam-filtering firewall if you don't have the ability to outsource the whole solution.
Agreed.

Block the spam before it hits your exchange server with somethign like a Barracuda or a Watchguard, or subscribe to an off site spam filter provider.

Also, make sure that the spam filtering that you are doing is not client side. If you are filtering the spam from withing Outlook, that is how your HH is getting the spam as the BES seems to grab email instantly from exchange compared to the Outlook client.

Just a few things to think about.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

The best spam appliance, bar none, is from ironport. And I don't say that lightly.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by why1504 View Post
Here is what is happening:

I have spam slipping past the Ninja hitting the blackberry without it hitting my Outlook mail box. This is obviously a timing issue. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I need to resolve this???
Just to clarify. BES processes everything that hits your Inbox. For a message to get to your BlackBerry it's gotta be in your Inbox. BES is probably processing the messages before the Ninja process identify the message as a SPAM.

Ideally you want to stop the SPAM before reaching the exchange server.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion View Post
The best spam appliance, bar none, is from ironport. And I don't say that lightly.
We use it and its awesome! Drops 99% of our SPAM.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

We use Postini; stops the spam before it even hits your network.

Ironport is also excellent, but Postini does the job for us.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
why1504
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently I only have 10 email accounts but I do have a new WatchGuard Firebox 10X W. Adding the anti spam to this device should be very easy. I noticed the annual license for 15 users is less than $150 this looks to be the best value. The other solutions identified here look to be setup for more users than I have. If any of you have experience with the WatchGuard anti spam add in.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
bigmatty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: !
Carrier: !

whoa there cowboy! before you go and buy new stuff...

You may just need to add a time delay to your BES send, here is how:

Cloudmark - Anti Spam and Spam Blocker Solutions

we use Cloudmark, which works awesome! BUT - without the entry linked above, the BES catches emails too fast and sends them along. with the link above (shows you how to add a delay to your BES message send) our anti-spam DOES have enough time to remove it before BES sends it.

Last edited by bigmatty; 09-02-2007 at 02:16 PM..
Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #10
why1504
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
bday

Model: Many
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion View Post
Had you said IronMail I may have agreed with you. One hugggge difference between the two for enterprise class systems is IronPort can only query one LDAP directory, IronMail can query multiples. This is a ginormous difference.
1.2k BES/Blackberry Users
14 Domain Active Directory Forest
Old 09-04-2007, 07:22 AM   #12
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

If you're scanning client-side there really isn't much you can do (especially if you're using cached Exchange mode) ....

If you're scanning server side you can check this out - Delay mail processing for an anti-virus scan (works for spam filtering too; same premise)
Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by why1504 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Currently I only have 10 email accounts but I do have a new WatchGuard Firebox 10X W. Adding the anti spam to this device should be very easy. I noticed the annual license for 15 users is less than $150 this looks to be the best value. The other solutions identified here look to be setup for more users than I have. If any of you have experience with the WatchGuard anti spam add in.
This will be your best bet. Its cost effective and better for your network/mail server to get the spam before it gets in. Personally, I wouldn't want to set up a mail delay on my BES.
BES 4.1
Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have done an extensive review from all the leading provider's out in the market / market learder's. My opinion is to go with Postini. Once you have used their system and manage through their webadmin, spam is so easy to maintain and manage. They provide a solution and not just a service...
Old 09-05-2007, 05:12 AM   #15
why1504
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhey View Post
I have done an extensive review from all the leading provider's out in the market / market learder's. My opinion is to go with Postini. Once you have used their system and manage through their webadmin, spam is so easy to maintain and manage. They provide a solution and not just a service...
This did not appear to be a cost effective solution with only 7 employees.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #16
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Try something like ExchangeDefender SMTP Security or Symantec Hosted Mail Security ...

Or, use IMF and a local A/V scanner and simply delay mail delivery for 10 seconds to make sure all the scanners can do their magic.

WinDeveloper IMF Tune will help you tweak IMF easier.

Last edited by hdawg; 09-05-2007 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: more content
Closed Thread